Thread: Kentucky KM-161

Default Kentucky KM-161

First off I'd like to start off with a little background. I've been playing mando seriously for several years and I'm part of a local bluegrass band in my area that does gigs about 2-3 times a month. I have been left-handed my entire life, but I have always played right-handed instruments upside down because that's what works best for me. My main mandolin right now is a Loar LM-520VS which I love, but I've always thought an A-model looked better being played upside-down than an F and plus I have a serious case of M.A.S. I have started doing research on solid wood, hand carved A-model mandolins and I have become interested in the Kentucky KM-160 series, specifically the KM-161. Would this be as good as my Loar or better? and also would it be good enough to play gigs with? Thanks!

Default Re: Kentucky KM-161

I can't compare the 161 to the Loar as I haven't heard a Loar. But I can tell you about my own experience . I owned a 305 Eastman. Loved playing it. MAS hit and I wanted an F . Sold the Eastman and played Epiphones , Michael Kelly's, a new Gibson F , Gold Tones , more Eastmans , a Stradolin and a Collings . I kept stumbling upon Kentuckys too but none spoke to me . Until I played the new Kentucky km 150. I loved it . With the exception of the Collings the Km 150 had great volume , a lovely warmth , nice bark and excellent playability. It's dry but has character like none of the others, IMHO . Best part was the price - 260 . I'm really knocked out by the tone....so if the km 161 is anywhere close, I wouldn't be surprise you chose it over the Loar . Good luck .

I've never played a "The Loar" so can't comment there, but I did own a Kentucky 162 for a while - it's in the same range as the 161, but comes in a honey/amber colour. Very nice tone for the money, and decent build quality. Despite being an f-hole model, mine had a lovely sustain on it. It does have a flat fingerboard, which may or may not be an issue for you.

I upgraded to an Eastman 505 (for the radiused board) and sold my KM162 to my sister-in-law, so I still get to play it on family visits. You really can't go wrong for the price. Obviously a good set-up is vital.

Hope this helps,

John

I owned a KM 160 (essentially identical to the 161) in the past and upgraded from that to my currently-owned Loar 520. I personally found the 520 to be a step up from the 160 in both build quality and sound. The Loar has a little more complex, slightly woodier tone than my 160 did. Not to say that I did not like the 160; I found it to be a perfectly fine mandolin for the price. My prediction is that you would not dislike the 161, but I would guess that you would like your Loar a little better in several respects.
    J Bovier A5
    Shawnee Creek A-9 style
    Blue Chip/Wegen picks, Tone Guard
    K&K Twin Spot
    Mando pedalboard: Behringer ADI21 preamp, Boss CS-2 Compressor, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe.

I wouldn't expect the Kentucky KM161 to be a significant upgrade over the Loar you already have. It retails for less (but similar to what a similarly appoint F may cost). If you would be willing to sell your Loar (70% of retail) you might be able to raise funds high enough to get an Eastman 605 that should come with a built in Schertler pick up for playing out.

Your mileage may vary, of course. You will also get more MAS mileage buying used over a new instrument. Our classifieds and many of our sponsors have good selections of used instruments that come well set up.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I like my 160 for what its worth. Here is a link comparing my breedlove to the 160...
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...parison-Videos
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra