Thread: Don Stiernberg at Mandolin Camp North this spring

Default Don Stiernberg at Mandolin Camp North this spring

HELP! PLEASE !!!!!

I live in the extreme puckerbrush of Northeastern Vermont …. and wouldn't live anywhere else … so chances to study with the likes of Don are VERY rare. I would greatly appreciate insights~recommendations~advice from anyone who has had the chance to do a workshop with Don about how to prepare to maximize this rare chance.

I've got 'til April to work on suggestions. (Mandolin Camp North in Massachusetts)

Thanks for any help,

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Default Re: Don Stiernberg at Mandolin Camp North this spring

Don was at Kaufman Kamp last year, he is a really fun guy and great teacher. What level player are you? I'm a beginner but I know other cafe members can chime in and give pointers.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

3. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Take time to look at three and four note chord forms and chord construction. What notes make up what chords. On a mandolin we are always "dropping" notes on extended, colored tone, chords so having a good grounding in scales and chord types will aid you in " Donnie" speak. Don teaches this and then jumps off into chord substition. If you are still trying to get a hold on what chord is what you'll get lost in a hurry. Don is a really great teacher and one heck of a nice guy. If you have a question , ask him, he also has a boatload of really great stories. You're going to have lots of fun..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Thanks for the replies …
    I've got a pretty good handle on jazzier chords on the guitar and i'm moving along translating that stuff to the mandolin. Working in the Jethro book and i've got a bunch of back issues of Mandolin Magazine coming to work through Don's articles as well. As rare as these chances are i want to be as prepared as possible. It's only a weekend and i know it'll go by real fast.

Thanks again,

Ryk

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

I know when we did stuff at Kamp Don liked to show us things and have us pick it up by ear rather than handing out tabs. I liked his approach but some didn't.

8. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I know when we did stuff at Kamp Don liked to show us things and have us pick it up by ear rather than handing out tabs. I liked his approach but some didn't.
    I'm wondering if his approach would/will be different where we've only got a weekend. Whatever .. it's a chance i won't miss and want to maximize.

Thanks,

Ryk

He did give us copies of things to take with us but some was just by ear at first. I'm sure he'll be great.

11. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Blog Entries

Don is a great teacher. I did not do the workshop. No such chance I am in SA. However, Don once taught me some chords and also their augmentation chords. Absolutely wonderful. Also told me which chord pattern to play to really allow the pinkie to dance around. Great teacher.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

13. The following members say thank you to Pasha Alden for this post:

Blog Entries

Don's training would be right up my street! I don't mind using my perfect pitch.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

15. The following members say thank you to Pasha Alden for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Vannillamandolin View Post
    Don is a great teacher. I did not do the workshop. No such chance I am in SA. However, Don once taught me some chords and also their augmentation chords. Absolutely wonderful. Also told me which chord pattern to play to really allow the pinkie to dance around. Great teacher.
    Yes, Don is big on using the pinky to add flavor to your playing...

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Yes, Don is big on using the pinky to add flavor to your playing...
    Somewhere i read that while Don was working with or studying with Jethro … Jethro asked Don about his non-use of the pinky: If you're not gonna use that Donnie …. can i have it?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryk Loske For This Useful Post:

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Don is full of Jethroism's. He'll keep you laughing.
    I suggest you learn every note on your fingerboard to at least the twelfth fret.
    The first day he'll probably teach you movable chord forms that will allow you to play every chord there is.
    He'll have you jumping all over the fingerboard from there on. If you can't find a C# or two fairly quick you'll fall behind.
    By the end of the second day your brain will be numb with mandolin theory. But, you'll have a smile on your face.
    He'll give you enough homework and song tabs to keep you busy a long time.
    Have fun.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GKWilson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

At Bigskygirl

Amen to that. I found that his ideas actually aided my chord progression nicely. This to the point that my former guitar teacher from school days, many moons ago heard me play mandolin in a recording and said that I had some "pretty good chord progression" So thanks to Don Stiernberg.
    It is as if the ideas he has does not loosen the pinkie only, but also the other fingers. As if one think of your fingers differently than just pressing strings in a chord shape.

It is interesting: ther are two Dons on the café, there may be more, but these are the two I know of and both have really been so helpful!
    Happy playing
    Vanillamandolin

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016