Thread: Question about Weymann Mandolute bridge

Default Question about Weymann Mandolute bridge

So I just bought a Weymann Mandolute #35 from eBay. It arrived in very good condition, but the bridge needs adjusting. Before I mess with it, I wanted to ask the forum if they know of any reason why the bridge is tilted like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WeymannBridge.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	109713
    In the photo you should see that the bass strings are much higher than the high strings. It makes chording very weird. Is this some classical/vintage phenomenon I should know about, or did some Joe Wanna-Be-Luthier saw up the bridge somehow?

I don't want to harm but restore.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Question about Weymann Mandolute bridge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08497_2.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	109720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	109721

I have done this on my solid/non-adjustable bridges. The bass is higher to eliminate any possibility of buzz, while the treble side is lower for ease of playing/speed. The first photo is one of my OM's, the second is a photo of Joe Brent's mandolin, by Brian Dean.
    I couldn't tell you by the photo if this is original or not, but it is a practice by many luthiers.

3. The following members say thank you to Walt Kuhlman for this post:

The idea is correct, but the implementation looks a bit extreme in the case of your Weymann. Here's a #35 I restored recently. I ended up with action .050" above the 12th fret on the G course and .035" at E course with JM11 strings. Scary low, but no buzzing (except one fret that needs replacing, but that's another matter). YMMV.

I did find that the bridge needs to be about centered on the lower edge of the pickguard in order to achieve decent intonation.

Name:	20130716-IMG_3646.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	109723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130716-IMG_3687.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	109724

5. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Thank you for the very helpful responses!

Marty, I had already followed your exemplary restoration work on that Mandolute before I posted. Now I'm wondering what I can do about the scaly finish on mine.
    Is it OK to just wipe it clean with mineral spirits and leave it without adding more finish? Any tips on how to get the tailpiece and headstock to shine again? I have no luthier skills whatsoever.

Here is a 1913 ad from The Cadenza magazine for the Weymann mandolute

Name:	1913 Weymann mandolute.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	109771
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

8. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post: