Thread: Derrington value?

Default Derrington value?

Ive recently come across an amazing master model signed by Charlie Derrington.

It's a bit more than my budget can handle at this time.

I have heard that Derrington era signed mandolins are solid investments.
    I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the value of "Derrington" signed mandolins?
    Are these instruments in any sense on a trajectory for gaining in value based on who signed it?

Im contemplating breaking the budget for this instrument based on:
    1.the fact that I really like this instrument and
    2. it could be a good investment

I'd be trading away my Ellis F5 which I also like a lot, but looking at resale values, if what I hear about Derrington mandolins is true, it seems to make sense to trade the Ellis for the Derrington.

Any thoughts from those who follow the "mandolin market" closer then I are greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Dec-01-2013 at 1:36pm. Reason: corrected spelling. no need to make a big deal out of this for those of you to follow.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Deerington value?

You mean "Derrington", right?

Default Re: Derrington value?

I don't know about the pluses or minuses of Derrington-signed mandolins vs. Ellis F5 but personally I would only trade away one for the other if you truly love the Gibson more than the Ellis. In other words, if it were me, the investment value would be immaterial. Both AFAIK are excellent and desirable instruments but no one can truly know which will increase in price over the years or decades. I would predict that you will gets lots of conflicting opinions on this thread which would be the better investment.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Wouldn't real estate be a better investment?

I would not use resale value as a reason to trade, but if the Gibby had the tone and playability I constantly hunt I would trade, it must be a good one to consider trading an Ellis, those are high on the desirability ladder.
    good luck

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

among our very small market, I'd bet they'd both be well known in 30 years.

If you can't have both, have no regrets for the one that you didn't buy.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

They go up. They go down. Even original Loars have had a rocky ride recently. Judge them as instruments, not investments. If you can get them for a really, really good price, you will usually be OK - but otherwise, don't bet on them making money.

FWIW, I would not trade my Ellis for one, certainly not on the grounds of pure guesswork on future "resale value".
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.