Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steeldrivers

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Steeldrivers

"If It Hadn't Been For Love"....classic blues song, great words, lotsa soul to that one...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Love that one! I played my daughter some 'Drivers videos,she said "I really like how they covered the Adele song". Had to tell her, "No, ya got that backwards!"
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    "If It Hadn't Been For Love"....classic blues song, great words, lotsa soul to that one...
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

3. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Just got two of the their CD's in the mail. Been holding my birthday Amazon gift card for that "certain" something. I am listening to Midnight on the Mountain as I write this post. The kickoff is classic and powerful and I really like the mandolin break....not too much and just the right amount of "soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    I saw them at the Gettysburg festival last year... I became an instant fan.
    I just came back from this year's May G'burg festival, and the same thing happened to me, I became an instant fan. Saw both their sets, and thought the afternoon was a bit "bluesier" than than the evening one, but enjoyed both. Lotsa folks in the audience wearing "Steelhead" t-shirts, and I'm gonna have to get one as well.

I saw an article that characterized their music as "Bluesgrass," and I would be interested in other groups that have that kind of sound. I will definitely check out Scott Holstein (and thanks to Steve in post 23 for making the recommendation). Any other recommendations?

The link below is an interview from 2013 with some in the band, talking about personnel changes etc, which I found interesting. bb

http://www.thebluegrasssituation.com...e-steeldrivers

I read this whole thing and then realized I was confused and thnking about Steel Wheels instead.
    Well, they are pretty good too.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    That's the song that got my attention. I wasn't that into the Drivers very much until I heard that one. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I was one of the "This isn't Bluegrass" people before I opened my ears a little and got past the different style. "If It Hadn't Been For Love" has such a powerful emotion to it and Chris' singing was perfect. When I really started listening I realized what an amazing singer he is. I don't think Gary Nichols has quite the emotion in his voice, but he is still quite good.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

8. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

my # One band. Learned almost every song off their first big c.d. in like two weeks. Went to jam hardley anybody had heard of them and few would even try to play the songs. My son , who has a alternative country band and is kind of a music snob loves them and says. Saw them at Grey Fox, on main stage in the big tent. You could not find a place to stand. Everyone knew every song they did and was lovin it ! I WAS right up against the stage and off in another world at the same time.

Thanks to whomever first posted this! I just ordered the "Hammer Down" CD, and more are likely to follow.

11. The following members say thank you to DGW1945 for this post:

IMHO, you have great taste in music! Thank you for your post...I ordered the "Hammer Down" CD after 3 songs.

13. The following members say thank you to DGW1945 for this post:

Blog Entries

Get ready to be hooked! This is some really good stuff. Even better live.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Watson View Post
    IMHO, you have great taste in music! Thank you for your post...I ordered the "Hammer Down" CD after 3 songs.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Just downloaded their self-titled album from iTunes; I imagine they'll get a few pennies from that ....

Interesting that the album costs $9.99 on iTunes, but is $15 from their web site. I imagine you get the actual CD for the extra cost ... but given how persnickety iTunes can be for some CDs, I'm not sure how much of a plus that is .....

Just checked out their tour schedule, and I will be out of town when they're here. Bummer. bb

Blog Entries

I lucked out. They're gonna be in Atlanta Aug. 16. I get back from Chicago on the 15th! Already have tics, taking some Cafe friends out to Hammer Down. (Or get Hammered, the choice is theirs..............)
    Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    Just downloaded their self-titled album from iTunes; I imagine they'll get a few pennies from that ....

Interesting that the album costs $9.99 on iTunes, but is $15 from their web site. I imagine you get the actual CD for the extra cost ... but given how persnickety iTunes can be for some CDs, I'm not sure how much of a plus that is .....

Just checked out their tour schedule, and I will be out of town when they're here. Bummer. bb

J Bovier A5 Tradition

I saw them again about a month or so ago, just before the new album came out. They were excellent. I now have all 4 albums on my phone, and I think their new album (The Muscle Shoals Recordings) may be their best. I've been listening to it non-stop. I'm not always a huge instrumental fan, but California Chainsaw is great. Can't wait to see them again sometime. bb