Thread: Victor? Banjolin

Default Victor? Banjolin

Hi all! I am looking at buying a banjo for my husband, and have come across something a little different. A banjolin.

I don't know how to post photos, but I have two that I can share if anyone would like.

It has the words "Victor", "Star", and "Artist" written on it, and it looks quite old. And it is an eight string. It does need repairs, so I am wondering also if it would be worth buying, and then who I could possibly get to repair it (in Victoria, Aust.).

Many thanks.

Default Re: Victor? Banjolin

Ah, I did it. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1401.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	110195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1400.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	110196  

Does your husband play mandolin? These are tuned just like a mandolin. Five string banjos are much different. That looks like a British made mandolin-banjo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

A typical problem with banjo-mandolin is that they may have a bent dowel stick (which runs through the body of the banjo from the heel of the neck through the banjo to the tailpiece).. If so that raises the action on the strings making the instrument close to unplayable. If so, straightening the dowel stick is the only solution. Which can be expensive(??). It is worth enquiring about cost of repair if this is the problem. Not quite sure how this mando was built. photos with the back off would be helpful for us to see what kind of problem you are dealing with. And a description of the problem as you undersand it.

I have a few of these (American made) and they can be fun. Google "Ragtime Skedaddlers" for probably the best sound of the Ragtime era.
    Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVi0One8Fc
    Bart McNeil

Interesting, Bart. I have seen quite a few banjo-mandolins (or mandolin-banjos -- whichever) as well as tenore, plectrums and 5-strings, but I don't recall having seen any with a bent dowel stick. I have seen some which need the dowel stick shimmed to adjust the action but that is generally much easier than doing the same on a mandolin or guitar. Then again, you may see much more of this doing repairs.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim; thank you for your reply. My husband used to play the guitar, but is keen to get a banjo.

Bart; thank you also for your reply. I am not sure I could take it apart in the store! I will get back to the store and have another look over it. The lady who runs the store said she had a banjo enthusiast through the store, who picked it up and played it. She said it sounded very good, especially considering the damaged (and somewhat "repaired") skin and being out of tune. However, not sure if that is or just to sell it. I need to consider the price (I can get this one for AU$130), plus repair and restoration.

The video you shared has an excellent sound.

Eta, can either of you give me am indication on the age of this instrument please? And the brand of it is a Victor, correct? Just so when I possibly talk to people about repair and restoration I talk about the right thing!

Many thanks again!

Jim:
    A few years ago I bought a bunch of mandolins. Banjo mandolins being some of them... I bought them in generally bad shape for roughly $30 to $60. For the most part it was just replacing skin heads,replacing a some metal parts and a few tuner sets. Most had bent dowel stick making them very difficult to play and impossible to play in proper tune... The major problem was bent dowel sticks. I was doing this on the cheap so I read up on bending wood and began restoring these mostly by steam bending the sticks back to straightness... Not terribly difficult but time consuming. It can also be done dry with just heat. It takes me maybe three hours total..or a bit less. I have straightened maybe seven sticks including a couple tenor banjos. One of my banjo mandos has a metal wedge allows the dowel stick to move several degrees to counter any bend in the dowel stick... Somehow the stick is actually hinged so the wedge has no effect on the dowel stick except to alter its direction a little. I haven't taken this one apart to examine it closely but it is a very clever system.

Another system I've seen, but i don't have one like this, is that the tailpiece end of the wood rod can be moved up or down the tailpiece end of the pot allowing the end of the dowel stick to be almost anywere on the pot inside. This allows perfect adjustment of the dowel stick bent or not. One could adjust the pot in seconds with a screw driver. Because my mando banjos are mostly low end they are normally pretty simple and without sophisticated mechanisms, or any mechanism, for adjustment.
    Bart McNeil

Did a little research in the past, and came up with "Victor" as one of the brand names used by British banjo maker John Abbott, or his son. Here's the relevant thread. See if the name "Abbott" shows up anywhere in that headstock dowel.

The instrument does look British, and also pretty inexpensive. Unless your husband is specifically looking to get a mandolin banjo, this is probably not what he's looking for when he says he's "keen to get a banjo."

Australia's not exactly awash in banjos, or so I've heard, but if your husband likes bluegrass, old-timey, or country music, this is not the instrument for him. If he's into Celtic, ragtime, or certain types of blues, a mandolin banjo can be made to work. If the head (or "vellum," in the British vernacular) has been repaired, it may need replacement.

I'd also second Jim G's assessment that a bent dowel stick -- if this instrument even has one; many don't -- is not the most likely problem you could have. The neck angle could be an issue, but there are ways to shim it to improve the situation. That torn head's a bigger issue; the strings look decades old, and from the general crud on the headstock and in the case, it seems to have suffered a period of neglect.

IMHO, you're taking a bit of a chance here, both in terms of the instrument type, and of its general condition. If you're absolutely smitten, that's one thing, but I'd definitely check with your husband -- even if you're planning to surprise him -- as to what kind of music he intends to play on the banjo that he gets. Mandolin banjo is a pretty specialized "niche" instrument these days.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

If the only problem is the banjo head and a split in it you are home free!!! The skin head is meant to be replaced and are not expensive... Roughly $15 - $29/ A skin head can be easily replaced though I have never done it on a banjo like yours.

On the other hand as suggested those English banjos are not famous for their tone.

If your husband is serious you might want to look for one closer to to a conventional banjo. A tenor banjo or plectrum banjo might be fine or if interested in bluegrass he will want a 5 string.

There are some outstanding banjo players in Your part of the world.. Here's a couple..... (if I can find them.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgdVivbf8R0&NR=1
    Last edited by bmac; Dec-07-2013 at 12:13am. Reason: speling
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Australia's not exactly awash in banjos, or so I've heard, but if your husband likes bluegrass, old-timey, or country music, this is not the instrument for him.
    Yep, that would be him! I will go down the "conventional" 5-string banjo. I don't think Australia is exactly awash with banjos, but that could just be that I'm not hanging out with the right crowd!

I am not smitten, it really is for him. There used to be a banjo at my Grandparents' house, which could I eally use some love. If it still there I know it will it definitely need a whole lot of work, but I am sure that my Father would be happy for it to be receiving some love. Have no doubt I will be back if I have more questions

Quote Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
    Jim; thank you for your reply. My husband used to play the guitar, but is keen to get a banjo.
    Might want to try a six string banjo.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...6-string-banjo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV016_Jpg_Large_H80537000001000.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	110361
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

I took one of these british style Mandolin-banjos apart once. There was no Dowel-stick. the neck was held on by 2 large wood screws going through the pot and into the end grain of the neck.