Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So HOW BAD is the Fender?

Question So HOW BAD is the Fender?

Hello! I am a beginner with about a $200 budget to buy a mandolin. The problem is, I told my husband before I did any research, and I think he's bought me the Fender starter kit (FM-100?) from the local music store (judging from the music store owner's response when I asked him if he could get Loar, Kentucky, or Rover mandolins).

In order to keep Christmas as peaceful as possible, the easy thing to do would be to not say anything, be delighted when I unwrap the Fender, and see how things go - if I want to pursue it, I could buy a nicer one later.

But, after reading some of the posts here, I am afraid the Fender will put me off of playing all together. Having said that, our local music store is very friendly with a great bunch of guys who are very helpful and could help me should I run into problems with it.

I'm not going to be playing in front of anyone but family (and possibly a troop of girl scouts), so as long as it sounds good, stays in tune, and isn't harder to play than any other mandolin, I would probably be fine. I play guitar (a little), so I am comfortable with a stringed instrument.

Opinions? Advice? I am really enjoying reading the forums. I have learned so much already!

Default Re: So HOW BAD is the Fender?

A couple years ago my first was an FM-100. I bought it used for $35. The biggest problem I had initially with it was the nut was cut to high. It was very painful to try to play. If I had Rob's ebook on self-mandolin setup back then I may have been able to manage a little longer than I did. But the sound was very metallic and there was basically no bass response whatsoever, save the sound of metal strings. Later with more experience I realized it wasn't even strummable as the bridge was bowed down in the middle.

You can certainly do better for not a whole lot more. Right now there is a Washburn oval in the classified for $180 (no financial interest) that I'll bet would be a decent upgrade for less money.

Bad !

Eh, there's not a whole ton of options for playable sub-$200 mandolins, and the Fender is not the worst. At that price level, the set-up is much more important than any intrinsic sound quality issues. Having said that, most people here would probably steer you toward a low-level Kentucky or something.

Welcome to the Cafe'!

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but yes it is that bad. All laminate construction, laminate spruce top with laminate nato back and sides. Nato is an asian wood that looks like mahogany but isn't.

Well let us now look at the positives. It is inexpensive. It is sturdy because of the laminates and you wont have to fuss about treating it gently and humidity cracks. And it will sound like a mandolin. Will it have complex tone and lots of volume? No. But it will have the characteristic mandolin tone. For a beginner it will be fine to learn on as a first mandolin IF it is properly set up. And that is the crux of why so many here warn against really inexpensive mandolins. Set ups are labor intensive and therefore expensive. Now if your very friendly great bunch of guys at your local music store just give you the unopened box and you just try playing it the way it came from China now THAT will be the thing that puts you off playing. If on the other hand they were willing to take it out of the box, set it up properly with the right nut action, neck relief, bridge position, bridge action height, and so forth, realizing that it is not just a little guitar and should not be set up like one, and actually have looked up the proper specs to do the set up properly, THEN it will not play any better or worse than an expensive mandolin. Getting that set up will assure that your mandolin has the easiest playability and the very best sound it is capable of producing. If you can get someone to make sure the set up is correct then I think you should just play it and enjoy it for what it is. You may want to keep it as a beater even if you get a better one someday. You know, to take camping, to the beach, on trips, etc., places where you might not want to take a more expensive solid wood instrument. Good luck!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

6. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

One of my students has a Fender A model. With a little attention to the setup your mandolin should be easy to play. In my opinion, the less expensive Pac rim instrument don't have much low end tone, which means they are treble heavy. I think these instrument's tone are improved with GHS silk & steel strings.

8. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

I have heard and played Fender mandolins that were fine for their price range. As others have mentioned, it will need a good setup and will then be a functional entry level instrument.
    Jim Richmond

10. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Welcome to the Cafe and to the addiction known as Mandolin Playing!
    I have the Fender FM-100. Got the same starter kit. I have had it a little less than a year and I should say that though I consider myself a more than amateur musician in general, I am by no means a fantastic musician and NOT above rank amateur when it comes to mandolin . to me the Fender sounds just fine. I happen to have the good fortune of having a very good music store in the next town with people there I know and the did a good job helping me find the right instrument to start on for a good price. I also have the excellent fortune of having some fantastic mandolin makers near me and they did a set up on it for free. (Thanks Max and Lauri!). It still sounds just fine and plays well. I got the Fender starter kit because I wanted to see if I would like playing mandolin and if I would commit to keep playing. I played it for 3 or 4 months and decided that I really did want to keep playing and I was commited enough to make an upgrade worth my while. During that time I played on my own at home, with a good friend (guitar player for the band I have been singing in for years, learned some cool songs to play together) and even played a couple of songs I had learned with another friend who had an acoustic gig at a tavern near my home. I hemmed and hawwed over how what to get and how much to spend. In June I finally decided that I would be getting a mandolin from the local makers (Girouard Manolins). Did I spemnd more than I originally wanted for an upgrade? Yes. Did I get everything I paid for and more? YES!!!

So, as for the Fender, I still play it. It sounds completely different from the Girouard. I like the Fender and am glad I got it. Since you have a good music store and knowledgeable people... I would say Enjoy it! Play the hell out of it. Take it in for a complete set up (so you spend some more $ but it really shouldnt be that much). Play the Fender for a couple of months (maybe even 3 or 5). Have fun, learn as much as you can. This will help you decide if you want to continue. If you really think you want to continue and to upgrade, THEn you can start playing and listening to other instruments. Its really a toss up... If you play something of "higher quality" within the first few monmths, it may inspire you to keep playing the Fender and make you feel you deserve the "better" instrument. On the other hand it may make you completely unsatisfied with the Fender and make you not want to play it or resent it until you get a "better" instrument.
    As I said above, I like my Fender still. I do play it some still. It was worth the $ I spent on the starter kit (I think it was like 189 for mandolin, gig bag, tuner, extra strings, book and strap). A small price to pay for a decent starter that helped me to decide I really love playing mandolin. As you said... It should be fine for what you are wanting to do. The more you play it, the more you will probably love it.
    It would be cool to know how it goes for you! Enjoy and welcome to the world of mandolin playing.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ben Cooper For This Useful Post:

I recently read on the madozine website that when choosing an entry level mandolin; that it is far more important to worry about having a proper set up done on the one you do buy then it is to spend time worrying about a particular name or model number since most entry level models are made in the same factory in China who builds under contract for numerous companies; slapping a different label and a few unique parts on each or something to that effect. That said; many of the lower end models do get good reviews including Kentucky, The Loar, Eastman, Michael Kelly, Morgan Monroe, and Epiphone. You can check out reviews on you tube and listen to demos of many models also listen to sound clips on the mandolin store's website.

Case in point; I picked up a used Tacoma M1 the other day which was made in USA and probably $600 to $800 new and was selling for $449 and other than being a gorgeous and solidly made instrument it sounded awful with no volume and then I picked up a used Epiphone which felt like it was made from spare parts tied together with twist ties but other than having high action, it was better sounding then the Tacoma so it's really hit or miss to some degree and you have to judge each instrument by how it feels, the build quality, do the tuners work smoothly, is the action acceptable, are there any odd buzzing sounds and most importantly does it sound great.

14. The following members say thank you to Gregooch for this post:

Astabeth: My qualifications to speak on this topic are 1) I started with a mandolin worse than that, 2) I've now been playing for over 20 years, and 3) I've stayed married for 35 years!

Do what you feel is right, but here's what I'd do: 1) Be delighted on Christmas day! Domestic tranquility is the highest priority. Making your husband feel good about your first mandolin purchase may make him feel more predisposed about the next one. 2) Take the mandolin to a good mandolin luthier (not a guitar guy) and have a full setup and string change done. It will not be over $100, probably a lot less. Tell your husband it needed a minor adjustment and hide the money from the budget somehow. If you want to know how to hide expenditures, I will put you in contact with my wife!

You will wind up with a very playable mandolin that you can learn on to your heart's content. You would not want to play it at Carnegie Hall, but one thing at a time! If by next Christmas, you are still playing and want an upgrade, pick out the next exact model you want in advance, perhaps with help you get here at the Cafe' and start dropping specific hints or having discussions, etc.

When you get your next mandolin, the Fender will be a great "beater." Beaters are handy to have. Some uses are to have a mandolin to: take hiking or to the beach, to take on a trip where you might worry about your main mandolin, a mandolin to teach someone else to play the mandolin on, a mandolin to put a electric pick-up on, etc. A lot of us started with beaters. A lot of us still have one. They fine to learn on and handy to have.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Flynn For This Useful Post:

AstabethBardJimmtm 

My opinion is that the Fender FM-100 starter pack should be fine. My thoughts are:

1. It's all laminate and as a beginner I think that's fine. I have both an all laminate and all solid. I leave my all laminate out all the time and because of that it gets played the most. The solid wood I'm scared to leave out due to the low humidity levels here with gas heated Ohio . Our humidity right now is 25%. That is not good for solid wood and you would need some type of humidty plan. I for example use Planet Waves Humidity packs in the case with the solid wood. Late Spring/Summer is usually ok to leave out all day but case at night. Winter it's back in the case after playing. Gets old trust me. So that is why I say all laminate is nice. Keep in mind that all laminate may even have humidity issues but again I simply don't worry about. By nature they are less sensitive to humidity in general.

2. Looks - I was thinking the Fender would be funny looking. Like an attempt to do a fender electric but in general it's a standard A looking mandolin. So that doesn't bother me.

3. Resell I think will actually be ok due to the Fender name. Not great but maybe better than a completely unknown brand for an all laminate.

4. Get a setup! I just dropped off my all solid for a $60.00 setup with strings. This way I'll have a playable instrument. I plan to do my all laminate next. I believe you can make that $200.00 mandolin sound just fine with a setup. I would suggest this for any mandolin regardless of price.

5. If you take to the mandolin then you'll have fun shopping in the future for a Kentucky/Eastman/Loar/Michael Kelley......The list goes on. Give it 6 months to determine if you like it.

6. The pack actually provides a lot of good stuff - tuner/book/bag/strap/strings/picks. That's everything you need in one box.

Acoustic Buckeye

18. The following members say thank you to AcousticBuckeye for this post:

I think the merits (or lack thereof) fade in the face of this being a gift from your husband. I hope you get a decent one, bring or send it to someone who know how to maximize the playability and enjoy playng it and be glad for a partner who supports your wanting to play.
    Steve

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve L For This Useful Post:

Here's a +1 for John's comments above. Your husband will be thrilled that you love his gift...priceless! The Fender is NOT a good mandolin, but if you can find a qualified luthier nearby, $60-$75 should get you a good set up complete with new strings. Note- your local music shop might not be the place to take it. Post an inquiry here on the Cafe for a luthier near where you live. Hopefully you'll get some good response. After a good set up, It still may not sound really great, but it should be playable enough for you to learn and enjoy. Then you can start looking for your next mandolin. Welcome to the Cafe, and the wacky world of the mandolin.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Arakelian For This Useful Post:

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticBuckeye View Post
    My opinion is that the Fender FM-100 starter pack should be fine. My thoughts are:

1. It's all laminate and as a beginner I think that's fine. I have both an all laminate and all solid. I leave my all laminate out all the time and because of that it gets played the most. The solid wood I'm scared to leave out due to the low humidity levels here with gas heated Ohio . Our humidity right now is 25%. That is not good for solid wood and you would need some type of humidty plan. I for example use Planet Waves Humidity packs in the case with the solid wood. Late Spring/Summer is usually ok to leave out all day but case at night. Winter it's back in the case after playing. Gets old trust me. So that is why I say all laminate is nice. Keep in mind that all laminate may even have humidity issues but again I simply don't worry about. By nature they are less sensitive to humidity in general.

2. Looks - I was thinking the Fender would be funny looking. Like an attempt to do a fender electric but in general it's a standard A looking mandolin. So that doesn't bother me.

3. Resell I think will actually be ok due to the Fender name. Not great but maybe better than a completely unknown brand for an all laminate.

4. Get a setup! I just dropped off my all solid for a $60.00 setup with strings. This way I'll have a playable instrument. I plan to do my all laminate next. I believe you can make that $200.00 mandolin sound just fine with a setup. I would suggest this for any mandolin regardless of price.

5. If you take to the mandolin then you'll have fun shopping in the future for a Kentucky/Eastman/Loar/Michael Kelley......The list goes on. Give it 6 months to determine if you like it.

6. The pack actually provides a lot of good stuff - tuner/book/bag/strap/strings/picks. That's everything you need in one box.

Acoustic Buckeye

Just how do you use the humidity packs? I looked them up and saw that one goes by the head stock and the other hangs inside the sound hole.... not practical for a mandolin with "f" holes. Do you just put the one by the headstock?
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

24. The following members say thank you to Ben Cooper for this post:

As a beginner you are probably fine with a Fender as long as it has been set up properly...
    It takes some ear training before you can tell the difference and ear training comes with experience... So you will get some experience on the Fender and better be able to judge your next purchase, or will have at least learned what you don't want, which is a normal transition..... Give it a year and see where you are... Then you can buy a mando more to your specifications and will know better the kind of sound you want and brand. In addition you will have a beater to use if your main mando ever has problems. Almost all of us start on less than stellar mandos and we are the better for it. The most important question to ask is "Has the instrument been set up" because that is the key to comfortable playing and good intonation (sound).

Personally I don't think you are in too bad a shape although I really do understand your feelings.

Another comment on price... You likely can't get a decent new mando in any brand for $200. I would start saving as quality sound starts at around $400 and shoots up from there.

Your best bet price wise will be to buy used from folks on this site... A new mando will drop as much as 1/4 it value as it goes out the retailers door. So the retail value of a good used mando is right in your target area... $300 -$400 should get you a decent used mando from folks on this site... In addition it will likely be well set up.
    Last edited by bmac; Dec-08-2013 at 8:08pm.
    Bart McNeil

26. The following members say thank you to bmac for this post:

Yea just lay it in an open space right by the headstock/shoulder of the Mandolin. It touches slightly but doesn't impact anything that I've seen. They come with fabric sleeves that you place the pouches in. I'm careful with the placement to make sure that if it were to burst for any reason that it would not directly impact the mandolin.

And I actually 'recharge' them by hydrating them again.

28. The following members say thank you to AcousticBuckeye for this post:

Every journey starts with a first step. It is a mandolin, so that step is in the right direction!

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin35 View Post
    Just how do you use the humidity packs? I looked them up and saw that one goes by the head stock and the other hangs inside the sound hole.... not practical for a mandolin with "f" holes. Do you just put the one by the headstock?
    Take a look at an Oasis case humidifier. It will take care of the low humidity problem and there is no danger of having a pouch rupture, etc.

Washburn has a sub $200 model with a solid top - oval hole. The Gretch New Yorker is also sub $200, solid top and f-holes.

The laminate top on the Fender would be my last choice.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

My first mandolin was a Fender and gift from my wife so that alone makes it something to me. I got a good set up and still enjoy playing it. I have three mandolins and play and enjoy all of them. Get it set up and have fun, you can always upgrade down the line.
    Welcome to the Café.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dusty miller For This Useful Post:

AstabethJim 

A $50 Rogue is totally decent and playable if you put a little care into having it setup right.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJ Doland For This Useful Post:

It's almost a rite of passage that your first mandolin be unspeakably bad and close to un-tunable.
    If you survive that and don't give up entirely, then you officially have it (mando-fever) bad!
    It is also often worth basically no money in resale as well, so a bonus is you get to keep it as a souvenir.
    Hope you start out with something playable, but if you don't, you are in good company.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

37. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

I'm a newbie, now playing for 1.5y; the Fender was my first instrument. After six months or so of serious practice, I added a Kentucky for around $650... plus more for a strap, a case, another tuner to keep on hand, a spare set off strings, ... All the extras cost around the price of the entire Fender package, but that's another story.

Here's the important part: It took me months--months--of serious practice as a newbie to even develop the calluses on my left-hand fingers enough to keep me out of pain--especially up on that E string. It took that and longer to have my fingers landing reasonably in the same place in the common keys of G, D, and A--longer before if my pinky had to be doing anything useful. Picking / cross-picking the right strings at the right time was another parallel problem that took time.

All in all, after a bit over a year, (1) my skills are not so great that the Fender makes me sound worse, and (2) the significantly higher cost of the Kentucky does not magically make me sound better. As a matter of fact, the first time I changed strings (~$5) on the Fender, it sounded absolutely brilliant--including in comparison to the Kentucky. Putting the same set on the Kentucky pretty much had them playing equivalently again.

As we speak the $600+ Kentucky is closed up in a hard case behind me; the Fender is sitting in a floor stand right in front of me--it's out all the time. Guess which one I pick up when the immediate inspiration hits?

Again, just a beginner's point of view :-)

39. The following members say thank you to Bard for this post:

1. Your husband is doing a Nice Thing and you appreciate it.

2. You can learn on nearly any major brand mandolin, Fender included, if it's properly set up. Hopefully, the "nice guys" at your music store can do that.

3. If you find the mandolin really is your thing, you will want a better one in plus/minus a year. The Fender can be the one you take camping, to the beach -- or the one you loan to your friend who's heard you and wants to learn too.

4. Factors like solid vs. laminated woods, carved vs. pressed tops, finish thickness, etc. are very important in determining a mandolin's overall quality and acoustic output. But the first year of any instrument is learning where to put your fingers, figuring out chords and scales and keys and picking patterns. You can do that on a well-set-up Fender almost as well as on a high-end instrument.

5. My first stringed instrument was a no-name banjo with a violin-style 5th string peg. My brother learned guitar on a nameless instrument that had the pickguard painted on the top. Motivation and determination, and enough instrument preparation to ensure that the mandolin's playable, will carry a student past initial stages of learning.

When I read the recurrent postings of Cafe-ers who have to hide their mandolin acquisitions from disapproving spouses, I realize what a blessing it is to have a supportive partner. From my point of view, that over-balances any questions about the optimality of this particular starter mandolin.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

With all due respect to the institution of marriage , I would NEVER play an instrument I didn't enjoy just to keep my spouse happy . AND if a spouse is worth keeping happy , they would understand the importance of this simple logic to a musician .

Play the Fender when you open it up ....but if it doesn't make you LOVE playing and learning for ANY reason - set-up , playability , tone , errant 'buzzing ', color ...WHATEVER- explain this to the spouse and return it . Then find an instrument that you WILL love spending time with . Like so many have mentioned here already, if I had to pick my top 5 $200-300 mandolins .... Fender would be down around 17 .
    Good luck with your search ...( for a mandolin and/or a new spouse ......lol )

43. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post: