Thread: Feedback wanted

I just posted a recording I made of Chick Corea's "Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly" to the mandolin project at the following...
    Open Your Eyes
    I would love to get feedback... I had a great deal of fun making this recording (Mando and Flugelhorn actually make a pretty good combo) but I am definitely just starting to scratch the surface of the jazz voice of the mando. I tried to use Pat Metheny's great sense of the "crescendo solo" in this piece as well. If you couldnt tell, Chick and Pat are two of my all time idols!

I appologise for the size of the file - I did try to compress it as much as I could.

The mando is a Collings MT....

My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

Hey Collings470 (David), really nice work. #You're right, the mandolin and Flugelhorn do work really well together. #By way of constructive criticism I would say that that the mandolin could be a more forceful presence in the piece. #At times it was difficult to hear the mandolin, especially during the tremolos, but this may have been an audio- limitation in my end. #Overall, I enjoyed the piece very much. #Thanks for posting it.

James

I havent listened to it yet but its one of my all time favorite songs and the one that opened the whole world of jazz and Brazillion music to my ears and in the process introduced me to one of my heroes, Pat Methany! Now for the soundclip>>>
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Very very nice work! Im leaning more and more towards jazz as a release of my inner-music since it seems to flow from me easier if that makes any sense. Up till now i've concentrated on bluegrass which I love but at times find hard to deal with since it seems I feel constrained at times by tradition, etc. That may well be all in my head but either way the freedom of jazz seems to call me harder and harder as I slowly learn my way around the mandolin. I tryed to do Spain from the CoMando tab when i first found it it but it was outta my skill level at the time...Im gonna dig it out and give it another go, along with The girl from Ipanema...thanks for the inspiration!
    Jeff
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Very Very Cool!

Very Nice!! Being a bluegrass-folk-oriented player it's cool to let my ears stroll "out of the box" for a while. Nice musicianship and recording. Great tone on the mando, too.
    Milan

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Mandolooter (Jeff)

Interestingly enough - Spain was going to be my next project. I have the Dave Grisman recording of it - along with about 6 other more traditional recordings (especially the original Return to Forever one) It has long been a favorite of mine. I have been working out the voicings for the chords....

Let me know how it turns out for you!

Keep those Mandos Picking!

My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"

jazzzzzzzzzzzz..........yeaaaaaah!
    zeit buba!

I just listened ........very nice!
    Eric

Lovely! I always loved this tune.

Michael
    http://www.sojournerrecords.net
    Check out the Michael Lampert Schwab Mandolin