Thread: Steve Gilchrist conversion of Gibson guitar to K-5 mandocello?

Blog Entries

Default Steve Gilchrist conversion of Gibson guitar to K-5 mandocello?

At least I THINK that is what this video is about. The result is a great sounding mandocello in any case and there some nice playing in the video too.

I wonder if the person who produced this video is an MC member?

Alternatively do any of you guys like Greg Stec (who knows a lot about K-5's) know the back ground on this instrument?

Having done a Gibson guitar to a mandocello conversion myself I'd sure like to see how someone of the stature of Steve Gilchrist did it!!

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

2. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Default Re: Steve Gilchrist conversion of Gibson guitar to K-5 mandocello

I believe the person who posted that video on youtube is our own Bill Bussmann. You can prob ask him directly.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I believe the person who posted that video on youtube is our own Bill Bussmann. You can prob ask him directly.
    Thanks for the tip Jim! I wonder if he uses a "handle" on the site because his name per se does not show up as a option for sending a PM? At least it did not seem to be there.

Edit: Well never mind I just remembered the Old Wave connection -- I'll try that first.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

He just posted on the progress thread here: oldwave maker
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

He just posted on the progress thread here: oldwave maker
    Thanks! I actually exchanged emails with him at Old Wave earlier today. He is not the owner of the mandocello -- it is a K-5 converted from a Gibson L-12. Since Gilchrist did the work I'm interested to see how he treated things like the fretboard, tailpiece, and nut etc. An L-12 is a pretty nice guitar to start with.
    Bernie
    ____

I would agree with you. Why not write to Steve? I wrote to him a few years back when I was considering getting one of his mandolins and he replied pretty quickly.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

I would agree with you. Why not write to Steve? I wrote to him a few years back when I was considering getting one of his mandolins and he replied pretty quickly.
    Thanks! I might just do that!!

As it turns out the current owner of the instrument in the video is Robert Rudawsky who sounds like quite a mandocello player as he has an impressive collection of those beasts. It sounds like it was David Grisman who actually owned the guitar that Steve converted --perhaps Grisman sold it when he got a '24 K-5. I think he still has it too.

I am communicating with Robert via email now. I think I that I have come across his name before and I am trying to figure out just where. In any case, he has had a chance to do a back to back comparison (same time) of the Gilchrist conversion K-5 with Grisman's '24 Loar-signed K-5 and finds the voices of the two instruments practically indistinguishable.

You mentioned Bill Bussman did the video -- perhaps he had it for a while to study while he built one for a customer?

All very interesting stuff.
    Bernie
    ____