Thread: Starter Mandolin?

Default Starter Mandolin?

Hey guys,
    This is my first post, and I am really liking this website. I am an adept violin player, and want to start playing the mandolin. I was looking for an inexpensive starter mandolin under $300 but lower recommendations would be nicer on my mom's budget. I am considering the Kentucky km-162 as a good starter, but was wondering about Flinthills, Rovers, and some others. I know they are all in the Saga Family of instruments, so that's good at least. They all look like neat instruments, but I wanted some input from others. Any input would be really helpful! Thanks so much in advance!

Default Re: Starter Mandolin?

Just today I saw a Gretsch New Yorker and a Loar LM220 at Guitar Center each for about $250, and they looked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Just today I saw a Gretsch New Yorker and a Loar LM220 at Guitar Center each for about $250, and they looked pretty good.
    i have a Gretsch New Yorker, and as my first Mandolin i am more than pleased with it.

Go with the Kentucky, I'd say km150....160.....both great value in a mandolin and surprisingly good sound IMHO .

Blog Entries

I see lots of new players with Gold Tone Mandolins. The better models go for about $359...a little over your budget. I don't know anything about these, other than I see them quite often at music festivals. I don't know if it's because they are actually decent starter Mandolins or the only starters available in my area. Perhaps other contributors to this thread would know something about the quality of these Mandolins.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

A Kentucky with a hard case is a great place to start. Solid top back and sides. Mandolins being what they are you want one with a good playable setup. A little more money now will get you a mandolin that will be a good enough mandolin to encourage you to continue playing for several years. A lot of folks that buy the really low end mandolins wind up wanting to trade up in six months to a year. Either the KM 172 or KM 162 will be a good choice in that regard. Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Just to point out, there are typically three levels of "starter" instruments. There's those with laminate construction (i.e., all the wood is ply), there are solid wood mandolins, but the tops are steam-pressed to acheive an arch (and the bracing helps hold this shape) and there are "carved-top" (sometimes advertized as "hand-carved") mandolins. If you are a violin player and have an ear for acoustic music, you may want to seek out a carved-top mandolin.

Check the advertizement copy carefully. If it says, spruce or maple for top and back, it's likely plywood. If it says solid top or solid spruce and maple back, it may be a steam-pressed solid spruce top and a plywood (maple-based) back. If it says, solid, hand carved spruce and solid back, it may be made in a computer carving machine with some hand sanding or such.

Now this whole spectrum of wood and manufacturing is found in the sub-$500 family of instruments. The solid and carved instruments are likley the superior choice for sound quality and (potential) resale. The KM-250 (Kentucky) may be an entry-level mandolin taht costs more than other entry-level mandolins, but it does represent the features that are typically wanted in a good-performing instrument. I think "The Loar," "J Bovier," Eastman all have examples of mandoilns similar to the KM-250.

Just think it's important to understand how to interpret ad copy.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

For the best $ value choose the A style over the f style with the funny scroll on the side.

ff hole or oval (or round) hole makes little difference in your beginner instrument. Whatever you like.

Appearance is less important than sound. Pizazz adds cost but no sound advantage.

Used is often better than new, value wise, but without experience it is difficult to judge. Though I would suggest that you look in the classified on this site for used possibilities. Normally they are (even with shipping) considerably less than new... Also almost all have been set up properly so set up will not usually be an issue. Set up is the most important issue... If the seller hasn't done it you will have to have it done or learn to do it. (Not really a bad idea if you are at all handy.)

The above suggestions sound interesting. But keep in mind that as you develope as a player and gain knowledge your choice is likely to change once you become proficient... We all go through that.

You have a nice mom.
    Bart McNeil

Slacker

I started out with a KM-150 and have been happy with it. It's nothing fancy, but it is playable and sounds decent. After learning more about mandos and getting my hands on some of the other "starters", I'm glad I went with the KM-150.
    "If we weren't all crazy, we'd just go insane" - J. Buffett

Blog Entries

Best of luck with your mandolin search and enjoy the mandolin- it is a wonderful world.
    Whichever mandolin you settle on just be sure that you have a good setup. From listening to other players in the u.s. the Kentucky sounds a good bet. Rogue not bad, but the setup is important. In SA I had a limited choice. Settled on a Crafter acoustic, ovation style. Fortunately for me it was a used mandolin in good condition and the setup issues had been taken care of.

Happy learning and when you have the mandolin: happy playing!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Its over you budget but if you put some money along with your moms a breedlove crossover would be a awesome starter from what i've heard. The Kentucky and Eastmans would be fine to though.

Thanks for the input, I think I might go with the Kentucky. I was also looking at some used instruments, wondered which ones to look for and which to stay away from.

Thanks a bunch, I live in San Antonio, so there's not too many places that you can try mandolins out. Do you know of any good places?

Thanks, I do believe I have a nice mom. I already decided long ago that the f style was unnecessary, and I've been hearing a lot about how set up is really important. I will try my best!

Quote Originally Posted by Musical Eggnog View Post
    Thanks a bunch, I live in San Antonio, so there's not too many places that you can try mandolins out. Do you know of any good places?
    Guitar Tex says they have "the best selection of mandolins in San Antonio," though I have no idea how high the bar is! They're apparently a Weber dealer, though Weber prices exceed your budget.

Fiddler's Green in Austin has a good rep, and displays a wide selection -- including Kentucky -- on their website.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

KM-150 is definitely a good one to enjoy for years. Myself, I had bad luck (bad karma???) with this model.
    Bought it twice, the first time brand new from the store, very happy with its sound and playability.
    However, as I change the strings one of the hook broke off, so I had to return it.
    Recently, I bought one used from eBay, and the neck broke off (inside the box) when I received it. I also returned it.
    Maybe God tells me to buy a more expensive Kentucky model (not its lowest end) as I have played mandolins for 3 years now.
    Please be clear that I am saying the KM-150 is a good mandolin as I still wanted it (and not trying to turn it down).

Quote Originally Posted by Musical Eggnog View Post
    Hey guys,
    This is my first post, and I am really liking this website. I am an adept violin player, and want to start playing the mandolin. I was looking for an inexpensive starter mandolin under $300 but lower recommendations would be nicer on my mom's budget. I am considering the Kentucky km-162 as a good starter, but was wondering about Flinthills, Rovers, and some others. I know they are all in the Saga Family of instruments, so that's good at least. They all look like neat instruments, but I wanted some input from others. Any input would be really helpful! Thanks so much in advance!
    I am new here and this is my first post, but my advice would be to buy a Rover, order it from either Musicians friend or Guitar center...No matter what you buy in your price range it will need a professional set up in my opinion...I have half a Century invested in playing and working on stringed instruments and Rover is the best buy in a cheap instrument that you will find...I just bought one myself and couldn't be more pleased with it... For 59.00 + tax I am very satisfied...I am learning the mandolin myself and wanted one to carry in the car with me while waiting in various parking lots while my wife shops...I have bought two others this year including a Loar 520vs on which the set up was so bad that it took me a week to get it straightened out...There was not enough adjustment in the bridge to get it playable and I had to remove wood around the adjustment wheels to compensate for it...The fretwork was so poor that I had to level and then re-crown them...Most people in a music store will not do all of this for a "set up fee" unless you are talking a large one....

So my advice would be to buy your "beater mandolin" first....Spend 59.00 on a Rover and 100.00 on a "Professional" set up from a Luthier preferably one who plays mandolin..If you do this you will love the instrument because it will play like butter, also you will probably keep it because no one will be willing to give you 200.00 for a 59.00 instrument....

They don't sound like an instrument with carved solid wood, but they are not "that bad" , mine sounds pretty good....I find that I play it most of the time because I never put it away...It hangs here beside me...

I have a Hand made Alverez from the early 70's that sounds so good that I gave 400.00 for it with the fretboard looking like a mini-roll-a-coaster....I have finally got it straightened out now and I would not part with it...But I wouldn't part with my Rover either...

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Guitar Tex says they have "the best selection of mandolins in San Antonio," though I have no idea how high the bar is! They're apparently a Weber dealer, though Weber prices exceed your budget.

Fiddler's Green in Austin has a good rep, and displays a wide selection -- including Kentucky -- on their website.
    I would try the selections at these places in order to find the type which best satisfies you and then look for used ones on Craigslist in your area.