Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avi Avital - Between Worlds

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Avi Avital - Between Worlds

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Avi Avital - Between Worlds

Deutsche Grammophon has announced the pending release of Avi Avital's Between Worlds, set for release on January 17, 2014.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Avi Avital - Between Worlds

Looks really good, judging by the video.
    David A. Gordon

Blog Entries

I loved that video and I need this album.. I especially like what Avi says at 2:00 about the depth of the mandolin and the opportunity for discovery. It is my own experience as well. Its why I enjoy playing the mandolin more than I enjoy playing any particular genre of music on the mandolin.

I love the sound of those Kerman mandolins. Wow. Maybe its just the production, but wow.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

It is so nice to see the other musicians interviewed. Avi has a great respect for the ensemble and the sounds that can come if everyone has a creative input. It is also nice to hear what he likes and not just what the big recording company demands. I guess they are giving artists more artistic control now days. In any case I like what I hear so far. Can't wait for the CD.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

The YouTube was really very nice! I love the section on how the mandolin speaks to him! I will get the cd in January...if it
    doesn't come to me as a Christmas gift.
    Nick

Lots of passion here. It will be a great CD I am sure of it.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

I am very impressed. I will own this album.
    Keith

Default Avi Avital Between Worlds

Giving the new album a first listen and loving it so far! Something strange, though - the track listing seems to be different depending on where you order. I got it from Google, and it has 24 tracks, Amazon the same. Most other sites list 25, and iTunes has 27(!). What's going on here? More distressing still, the missing track is the excerpt from the Dvorak "American" quartet, which I was really looking forward to. It's too late to get a refund from Google and I'm not paying again just for one track. Is there a reason different outlets got different versions? This is a trend I absolutely despise - why punish fans because they buy from the wrong vendor?

9. The following members say thank you to Ken_P for this post:

Default Re: Avi Avital Between Worlds

You are correct, Ken. I am an emusic subscriber and they have the 24 track version for $8.99 which is missing Baal Shem, Vocalise and the Dvorak. Amazon also only has the 24 track version. The iTunes version costs $3 more with those three tracks. I wonder if this is a iTunes only arrangement with the record label?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

This sounds wonderful. I just listened to a few of the excerpts.

However, I am an emusic subscriber and they have the 24 track version for $8.99 which is missing (I think) Baal Shem, Vocalise and the Dvorak. Amazon also only has the 24 track version. The iTunes version with 27 tracks costs $3 more. I wonder if this is a iTunes only arrangement with the record label?

Why would the record label release different versions of this recording?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I checked the album out on Spotify this morning. What was really intriguing is that each of the pieces has an introduction, explaining the instruments used and how the arrangement was constructed. It's a level of insight into the creation that one normally doesn't get.

Timely thread! I just noticed this was out and was going to order it.
    I'll now be most careful about where I aquire it. I'd hate to miss out out.

Thank you!!
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

Wait - are you guys talking about audio downloads, or does the actual Deutsche Grammophon disc differ from one source to another?

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

It looks like the DG according to Amazon, the disc only has the 24 tracks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It's even more confusing than that, because the DG website lists 25 tracks as well. What's going on here, and is there any recourse for those of us stuck with incomplete versions?

What is the deal with the extra disc on Spotify? It is a recording of awesome "notes" as read by Avi on each track and his approach. Is that on the downloaded version and/or the CD? This is all very confusing and I don't see it anywhere except Spotify. Looks like iTunes has three bonus tracks (noted as bonus in the listing).

Maybe this will help clear things up, or not:

Amazon is selling the CD with 24 tracks, but they're also selling the MP3 download version as 26 tracks with a 27th item listed as "Digital Booklet: Between Worlds (Album only). Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Between-Worlds...itle_0?ie=UTF8

Track #25 is listed as "25 Bloch: Baal Shem - 2. Nigun (Solo Version / Bonus Track)", and track #26 is "Ravel: Vocalise en Forme de Habanera (Bonus Track)."

The use of the term "Bonus Track" usually means it's something released as a digital download only, and not included on a CD release. I assume that would include "track" or item #27, the digital booklet. I guess you're supposed to buy these tracks separately if you only bought the CD, but then Amazon confuses things by offering the digital booklet only with the full MP3 album purchase.

To further confuse things, Amazon is listing an "import" version of the CD that won't be available until January 28, and will cost a whopping $34.47 USD. Don't know what the deal is with that one, because tracks aren't listed. Maybe it includes a physical printed booklet at that price? Here's the link below, for what it's worth. If I pick this up at some point, I'll just get the MP3 album version which seems to have all the tracks.

http://www.amazon.com/Between-Worlds...=music&ie=UTF8

Amazon does not appear to have the Dvorak, which must be an iTunes exclusive.

As coletrickle noted, there is no Dvorak... here is the last few tracks on the iTunes download. You get the extra track for the same price as the Amazon. Very strange, IMHO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avital_itunes.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	112633  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

The audio CD for sale on Amazon UK has 25 tracks. Won't be available till Jan 20.

The entire staff
    funny....

Dang, if I get this, I want the Dvorak, but I want nothing to do with itunes on my computer ever again.... waaah!

Maybe it's time to just wait until the dust settles before getting anything...

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Wow two threads on this.

Well, the audio CD available on Amazon UK has 25 tracks. Won't be available till Jan 20.

The entire staff
    funny....

I think that is what I will do. I wrote to Avi... maybe he has a clue why they did that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

26. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

To redirect the conversation - I do want to talk about the music, too, which is wonderful! For me, the highlight is the back to back tracks of Villa-Lobos and Piazzolla right in the middle. It's pretty much a perfect summation of what he's going for on this album and I love it.

Blog Entries

Merged the two concurrent identical threads as both have information that is similar and of interest on the same subject.

29. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post: