Thread: Recommendations for learning rhythm Mandolin

Default Recommendations for learning rhythm Mandolin

I've been learning for a little less than a year now and having a lot of fun. However lately I've been trying very hard to finally embrace and learn rhythm mandolin. Bluegrass chop, etc.

I took my mandolin in for a tune up (ended up buying a new one) and got the action nice and low. So I started working night after night on the basic chop chords from "American Mandolin Method volume 1". At the start I could barely do 5 strums before my hand would start hurting. Fast forward a few weeks/months and now I can chop for a while. The problem I'm having is how to match this up to the music, ie, I need some strumming patterns, perhaps a metronome? Wanted to see what you are tried and found works/doesn't work. I'm a huge fan of progression training, just like you would in strength training or marathon prep. Small steps, periodicity, etc.

My goal is simple, just keep improving, and try not to create too many bad habits along the way. Advice always appreciated.

Matt

Default Re: Recommendations for learning rhythm Mandolin

I can sympathise with your problems with the chop chord. I started playing bluegrass style about a year ago having played celtic off and on for years and guitar since childhood. None of this prepared me for the G chop chord which has to be the hardest chord shape ever invented for stringed instruments! I used the mandolin fretboard road map book which comes with a CD which has the rhythm on one channel and the melody on the other so as you progress you can fade out the recorded rhythm and take over. You really just need to stick with a simple chop on the off beat (beats 2 and 4). If you have a local beginners jam that can be really helpful. I was lucky to have a local slowpickers jam. 3 hours of constant chopping at that is worth countless hours in the bedroom. Also you learn that less is more when it comes to bluegrass rhythm - you have to leave space for the other instruments.

Both of these would be excellent learning resources. I purchased "Rhythm Mandolin From Bluegrass To Celtic To Swing." It's excellent.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...thm%20mandolin
    awm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sish View Post
    The problem I'm having is how to match this up to the music, ie, I need some strumming patterns, perhaps a metronome?
    Study others patterns and play along with recorded tracks that you can find on the internet. For rhythm I find these prerecorded 'backing tracks' as useful as a metronome (which is pretty useful as well). If you need to slow it down there are some free sites that have slower bpm tracks to play along with.

Quote Originally Posted by AW Meyer View Post
    Both of these would be excellent learning resources. I purchased "Rhythm Mandolin From Bluegrass To Celtic To Swing." It's excellent.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...thm%20mandolin
    Would love to get it, it's out of print/publication nearest I can tell. You willing to part with yours? PM me.

Blog Entries

Elderly may have it in stock. Might order it myself http://www.elderly.com/videos/items/618-DVD2.htm

edit. umm. not in stock there sorry

Metronome, Mandolin For Dummies, and I would suggest listening to as much Sam Bush, David Grisman, and Mike Marshall as you can stand! Although I have not seen it, there is a Sam Bush rhythm DVD by Home Spun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzLpu0z1wPc
    This guy seems to have a lot of good stuff online for free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prN43-I5hs0
    After you can form the chords, play basic changes with a metronome or backing tracks--good Site: http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.com/ for backing tracks--then it all comes down to what feels and sounds right to you. Finding a local bluegrass jam to go and chop along with will do wonders for you!

Metronome, Band in the Box and also check out Pete martin at petimarpress.com. Pete has free videos that may help you and he teaches by the use of Skype on your home computer !

Blog Entries

Two steps you could take and this time next year you will be way ahead.

1-Find a jam.

2-Attend regularly.

Best thing in the world for setting fire to your progress.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Two steps you could take and this time next year you will be way ahead.

1-Find a jam.

2-Attend regularly.

Best thing in the world for setting fire to your progress.
    I bet it would, haven't been able to find anything in the Tampa,FL area yet..still looking.

Blog Entries

There was a bluegrass jam at a music store in your area. I think it was called "The Bluegrass Shop" but I might be wrong. They had a killer selection of mandolins on the walls, and opened their doors to a jam in the show room every Saturday night.

This was a while back, they may not still be in business.

But look around, you will find something.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There was a bluegrass jam at a music store in your area. I think it was called "The Bluegrass Shop" but I might be wrong. They had a killer selection of mandolins on the walls, and opened their doors to a jam in the show room every Saturday night.

This was a while back, they may not still be in business.

But look around, you will find something.
    Nope, they are long gone. Too bad too. Oh well.