Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing my first mandolin

Default Re: Choosing my first mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Arm rests and pick guards are options. Many find them indispensable, many do with out.
    Where can you find arm rests?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregooch View Post
    Where can you find arm rests?
    At the end of a Google search.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

So, for now, I had no answer about the classified The Loar LM 600, but I'll wait a bit more before I make a decision. Anyway, it might be a good thing to have a warranty on the instrument if I buy it from Thomann, so I would still be hesitating :p.

About starting mandolin, do you think there is enough on the internet (tutorials, videos) to learn on my own or should I get a good book ? If so, what do you think is the best available ? Mandolin for dummies looked like a good choice to me, but if I can find all I need online, maybe it's not worth the expense...

Did you notice that they have an Eastman MD315 Classic B-stock at Thomann for 589€. One hundred Euros cheaper for a few blemishes and you still have the warranty. I own an LM600, but the MD315's have a good reputation as well.

If you go the internet route for learning, one option I'd recommend considering is The Academy of Bluegrass with Mike Marshall. I tried it out for 4 months & sent in two videos to Mike. He then responds with a video of his own & analyses your playing. You already play violin, but it's better to avoid bad habits from the beginning. I've got a copy of Mandolin For Dummies, but I haven't spent much time with it. I spend a lot of time practicing with tabledit though. There's a free version available and you can even find a library of tunes available on this site.
    Last edited by dreadhead; Dec-28-2013 at 7:12pm. Reason: forgot to mention store name
    Joseph

Blog Entries

I strongly advise a new player in Europe buying a lower cost instrument NOT to import direct from the US.

Why?

1. Disproportionate shipping costs + high import taxes and import charges.
    2. No warranty - whatsoever - unless you return item at your own cost and then re-import (very difficult & expensive)

It is much safer to buy within the EU. Base prices may be higher, but you have a legally enforceable warranty (up to 3 years in most cases), easy shipping and returns, zero hassle with customs.

Later, once you know what you are doing, then you can get involved in importing... but it is just not worth the trouble (and risk) on lower priced instruments.

Thomann are very reliable and honest. Easy to deal with. However - they do not adjust (setup) instruments before sale. You'll need to do that after. The other brands you list that they sell are not very good....the only ones they offer worth buying are 'The Loar', Eastman, Kentucky, Breedlove and Gibson. Most of these are over your price range.

HOBGOBLIN in the UK have a range of mandolins and ship to France:

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sales/310/mandolins/

They have a good selection of 'folk' or 'Celtic' instruments in addition to Bluegrass models.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Hi again guys!

So, I just received my new eastman mandolin and there comes the first question: there is a piece of paper between the bridge and the top of the instrument... I don't know why and I don't know how I can get this out. Is it even normal ? x)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-06 15.05.38.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	112072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-06 15.04.50.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	112073

Here are some pics... There is a kind of plastic piece wrapped in the paper. Help please :')

Anyone knows about this kind of isssue ? I'm not sure if I should return the thing or not...

Slacken the strings, remove the paper, set the bridge properly and tune to pitch. It reminds me of buying a toaster oven that has the thin film over the control panel.

But the problem is that somehow it doesn't look like a film nor any kind of protection, but more like if someone wanted to higher the bridge and thought of himself as Mac Gyver... So if I put it out, I have no idea how I'm supposed to settle the bridge and how high it is supposed to be. :/

Hi again !

AlanN: I did that and highered a bit the bridge with the "screws". It seems ok. I still have no idea why some chinese used a torn paper (there was some chinese notes on it ^^') to do so... But whatever ! I broke an E string when trying to tune it back though . Fortunately I had ordered some more with the mandolin.

Anyway thanks to all of you for all your help ! The eastman sounds quite good and playing the violin is a lot of help with the fingering

Here is a pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contraste mieux.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	112111
    Last edited by Ezhera; Jan-07-2014 at 8:51am. Reason: picture

It sounds like this was right from the factory with absolutely no set up. Too bad.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1