Thread: Gallagher Guitar G50 pickup??

Default Gallagher Guitar G50 pickup??

Hey There Guys!
    I know this isn't a Mandolin related post, but I figure some of you will also play guitars so here is my Question!!

To those of you who play a Gallagher dreadnought or an Old Martin of any sorts (specifically the Gallagher G50), What pick up do you recommend??

What fits best, dose the least amount of damage to the guitar? and MOST importantly, what sounds best??
    Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!
    MTW
    "I'd sooner have him in our band than someone elses"

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gallagher Guitar G50 pickup??

Well I put a passive K&K in my D18 and am satisfied with it's tone. The thing about any pickup's tone is what you are running it through. Some amplifiers are designed to work with a transducer's signal others are not. To help insure that you have good tone on your Gallagher you may need to invest in a preamp as well as the pickup. Insofar as "damage" is concerned to install a 1/4 inch phone jack into an acoustic guitar the end pin hole needs to be enlarged. The slightly enlarged hole can at any time be plugged and re-drilled to the original size if required There is a "Vintage" endpin jack that is 1/8 inch and fits into a standard endpin hole so no additional drilling is needed. These are pricey and work fine but 1/8 inch cables and ends are more fragile than 1/4 inch so extra care needs to be taken and extra cables are a must. To install a traditional under saddle pickup a small hole need to be drilled through the bridge and into the guitar body for the wire. More modern type transducers are glued to the bridge plate , brace or under the top so any damage will be linked to their competent removal. Active pickups require a battery. The battery mount can be screwed into the neck block or taped there as well. The tape adhesive fails over time....... that's about all I can think of right now.... Luck.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I think of the guy with a mallet, smashing watermelons.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I think you should call Don Gallagher and see if he has recommendation.
    Twelve years ago I installed a Highlander in a G45 but I was never satisfied with the results.
    I understand that placement of the K&K is important

If you're willing to try something a little different, then the best solution I've found for acoustic guitar is the same as for my mandolin: an external clip-on mini condenser mic. We use the DPA 4099 with guitar clamp on my partner's Martin in our mandolin/guitar duo, and it sounds great. No modifications needed to the guitar, you just take it off after the gig. Works well with wireless systems too.

The only situation where this wouldn't be a good idea is on loud stages, because it's a little less resistant to feedback than an internal pickup. Also, some guitarists might not like the appearance of an external clip-on mic like this... it does look a bit geeky. But I'm seeing this kind of setup used more often.

An alternative to the DPA 4099 if you need a more low-profile look, would be one of the really tiny mic capsules like one of the Countryman mics, mounted with the wire taped or Velcro'd along the upper (bass side) edge of the fingerboard where it extends over the body. I think the guitar player in Punch Brothers uses something like that.

Blog Entries

My wife has a Gallagher... but we don't have a pickup in it, so not much direct help there.

However... she does have transducers on some other guitars and there are two approaches that (in my opinion) produce "pretty good" results:

1) Active undersaddle transducer + Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. The Aura system can work very well...

2) Soundboard contact transducers (K&K or similar) + Headway EDB-2 preamp. No digital trickery here....but super EQ options.

I do not rate either as high as a really good microphone, but both can produce very acceptable results in quite difficult circumstances. If a great mic is 10, I'd say you can reach around 8.00 with these once you get the optimum settings worked out. Some pickup systems, I'd go no higher than a 2 or 3...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna get in touch With Don and see what he recommends. Ill keep you posted.
    MTW
    "I'd sooner have him in our band than someone elses"

Schertler A Dyn , successor to the M and G Dyn is a non marking external Microphonic transducer..

works fine sounds good, and being a dynamic type mech goes into signal-chain like any dynamic microphone.

being removable One will cover the whole fleet you may own.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture