Thread: Mike Marshall Mandolin Lessons

Default Mike Marshall Mandolin Lessons

Hello Mandolin Community,
    I have casually been trying to start playing mandolin for the past year. For Christmas I decided to really get serious with my efforts and pay for three months of online lessons wit Mike Marshall on Artistworks.com.
    To any of you out there that have learned from Mike before, will you please give me some advice on how to get the most out of my lessons and utilize the vast source of knowledge I have at my disposal? I am ready to learn!

Thank You in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mike Marshall Mandolin Lessons

I take lessons with a private instructor, but have decided to sign up with Mike Marshall to supplement my lessons. I plan to start at the beginning and follow the lesson plan sequentially even though I will know much of the material in the first third of the lessons. I figure there are going to be informational "surprises" along the way. I feel if I start where I think I should, I will miss important information. The program seems excellent and I look forward to responses from people who completed it. Good luck!
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

Blog Entries

As new as you are I would just start at the beginning and follow mike's syllabus. He's emphatic on posture & holding the mando, how to hold the pick and playing cleanly. Once you get these down the rest will follow.

Also make sure to watch the beginner video submissions to mike and his replies. Very informative. If you have a particular issue submit a video yourself.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Watch all the VE's. Each one is like a master class. Also, watch Mike in slow motion as much as you can. It is amazing what you can pick up that way.

Thank you guys for the tips. Being self-taught I know I have many many bad habits which need correcting. It sounds like starting at the beginning and progressing my way through the program is the obvious choice for me.

That's going to be one of my New Year's resolutions… to take Mike Marshall's online lessons.

7. The following members say thank you to Winfield for this post:

I signed up a few weeks ago, and I can't say enough good about it. As with anything, you get out of it what you put in - but it's a good program. My advice is to start at the beginning and work through the lessons carefully. I'm an intermediate player (according to how his lessons are categorized), but I started from the beginning, just to make sure I didn't have any bad habits that he might address. I got through the beginner lessons pretty quickly, but they were useful just the same.

I haven't sent in a video yet, but I will - hopefully time for that over Christmas week.

Highly recommended.
    -- Dave

You know that "BanjoBenClark" guy on You-Tube ..he seems to have a pretty solid mandolin learning method that you can sign up for as well. I checked out some of the lessons and they look pretty good. I've been thinking about Mike Marshall's as well....just haven't made a decision yet