Thread: Best Source for tabs to some of Adam Steffey's interpretations

Default Best Source for tabs to some of Adam Steffey's interpretations

Does anyone know where to find his stuff? I'd like to study a little bit of how he plays his licks and some of his interpretations of songs he does but I can't seem to find much....anyone help me out?

Default Re: Best Source for tabs to some of Adam Steffey's interpretation

Best by far is to transcribe and learn them on your own. You will learn a LOT MORE that way!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Good advice Pete, IF,you can figure out what Adam's playing to begin with. I can play a few of Adam's solos pretty well,but there's one i can't quite get although i've been trying for a long time. On Dan Tyminski's CD ''Carry Me Across the Mountains'',Adam takes a couple of nice breaks on the tune ''Greens Fees''. I can play the first part with no trouble,the second part,a long,descending run of notes,simply won't come. Like Eric, i wish there was some TAB for Adam's stuff,so,i'd recommend buying Adam's tuition DVD ''My Approach To Bluegrass Mandolin'' & take it from there. Adam has his own website & you can contact him via that, if you wish to ask a question up front,but i'm unaware of any TAB books of his work - unfortunately !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

One place to look is here. You'll need the TEFView file viewer, which is also there as a free download. The database is searchable by artist.
    Mitch Russell

Thanks for the tips guys.... It's hard to watch him and learn, he picks so fast sometimes!

I think he has an instruction DVD.

Blog Entries

Yep as Ivan said above, Adam does have an instructional dvd out there, I'm sure its helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Yep as Ivan said above, Adam does have an instructional dvd out there, I'm sure its helpful.
    I'm interested in getting it

Eric - Adam's DVD is available directly from AcuTab,but if you shop around you 'might' find a copy at a lower price.However,bear in mind that this is a 2 disc.DVD,rather than the usual single disc. tuition DVD's,hence the higher cost,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    there's one i can't quite get although i've been trying for a long time. On Dan Tyminski's CD ''Carry Me Across the Mountains'',Adam takes a couple of nice breaks on the tune ''Greens Fees''. I can play the first part with no trouble,the second part,a long,descending run of notes,simply won't come.
    Happy New Year, Ivan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greens Fees - Steffey.pdf 
Views:	584 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	112125

+1 to doing it yourself, HOWEVER, Steffey is probably not a great place to get your feet wet as far as transcribing goes. Transcribing is a different skill set than playing, and doing it well takes a lot of time "behind the wheel" transcribing things. The first album I had with a mandolin on it was Shady Grove by Garcia and Grisman, that's a pretty easy starting point as far as slower tempos and simple melodies. The more you transcribe, the more skill you develop, the easier it is to work out more difficult pieces. Oh, and slow down software is pretty helpful, too. Hope that helps, take care.
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordan Ramsey For This Useful Post:

Hi Jordan - You're a gem !. Many thanks indeed,maybe now i can play the 'real' thing instead of 'my version'. As you might know,folk always play 'their versions' when they can't play the tune correctly ( not really ). I don't need 'slow downers' too much. Having been an ear player on banjo for 50 years,i have a 'quick ear' which helps a lot. I've found that once i have the tune 'in my head',if i try to slow it down mentally,it makes it harder,so i always play up to tempo. However, if i learn a new tune from TAB (very rarely),then i do take it slowly. It's no use trying to play quickly,a tune you don't know yet,although it's good for a laugh !,
    Many thanks once more Jordan - Ivan

PS -This clip reminds me of my efforts on the Greens Fees 'run'. ''The right notes,but not necessarily in the right order'' http://youtu.be/r7yb-JncKow
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jramsey View Post
    Happy New Year, Ivan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greens Fees - Steffey.pdf 
Views:	584 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	112125

+1 to doing it yourself, HOWEVER, Steffey is probably not a great place to get your feet wet as far as transcribing goes. Transcribing is a different skill set than playing, and doing it well takes a lot of time "behind the wheel" transcribing things. The first album I had with a mandolin on it was Shady Grove by Garcia and Grisman, that's a pretty easy starting point as far as slower tempos and simple melodies. The more you transcribe, the more skill you develop, the easier it is to work out more difficult pieces. Oh, and slow down software is pretty helpful, too. Hope that helps, take care.
    If you have any more of these...please keep them coming....by the way...your officially my new best friend

17. The following members say thank you to Eric Michael Pfeiffer for this post:

There are a few tablatures of Adam Steffey's mandolin playing on YouTube, tabbed by Tristin Scroggins.

Adam's Instructional DVD is worth buying, for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Michael Pfeiffer View Post
    Does anyone know where to find his stuff? I'd like to study a little bit of how he plays his licks and some of his interpretations of songs he does but I can't seem to find much....anyone help me out?
    Hi Eric - I have several of his solos transcribed - some from his AKUS days and a few others too. Off the top of my head ... "Another Day, Another Dollar", "No Place to Hide", "Everytime You Say Goodbye", and "Another Night", probably a handful from his "New Primitive" recording, and a few others as well.

I transcribed these for myself and a few of my students and so they currently lack TAB but if you see one listed here that you're interested in let me know. I'll add the TAB in and post it here. Apologies in advance for not having the time to add TAB to all of them to post here but on the other hand, there is a LOT to digest in even one of his solos, so hopefully this helps ... 😊
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

Are you familiar with a website called SoundSlice? There's a fellow on there who is posting (what look to me to be) very good transcriptions of Steffey's playing.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

21. The following members say thank you to Tighthead for this post:

I think it’s worth noting that any music you can find on youtube can be played back at half speed. As many have said, there is pretty much nothing better for a musician’s ear than transcribing.

23. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tighthead View Post
    Are you familiar with a website called SoundSlice? There's a fellow on there who is posting (what look to me to be) very good transcriptions of Steffey's playing.
    Glad you think so! I try to get them as accurate as possible. Hope folks get some use out of them: https://www.soundslice.com/users/njvanhaute/

All free.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to njvanhaute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njvanhaute View Post
    Glad you think so! I try to get them as accurate as possible. Hope folks get some use out of them: https://www.soundslice.com/users/njvanhaute/

All free.
    I think SoundSlice is an underrated site, and you're providing an incredibly valuable service. It's very much appreciated!
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

27. The following members say thank you to Tighthead for this post:

Nick Sebastian had a download book of a bunch of Adam’s solos. I don’t know if that’s still available or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    Nick Sebastian had a download book of a bunch of Adam’s solos. I don’t know if that’s still available or not.
    Its available at Hayes Griffin's site, https://hayesgriffin.com/shop/.

NFI of course, although I did buy it.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

30. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

If you're still looking for some good Steffey related resources I've been releasing free transcription books over on my Patreon account. So far I have the CD's So Long, So Wrong, Every Time You Say Goodbye and Grateful transcribed with some more on the way.

Just head over here and scroll down to find the appropriate post!

P.S. All the Steffey books should be free. You shouldn't have to sign up for anything unless you want to support me making more free mandolin content.
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

32. The following members say thank you to Jake Howard for this post: