Thread: Is this real?

Default Is this real?

I am not considering it. I don't have that kind of cash but I am interested in learning.

There is no Gibson logo on the headstock. The seller claims to be in Greenwich Village her in NYC but the map and address have him in Maryland. It struck me that a label, serial no. and FON would be fairly easy to fake.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msd/4243655363.html

Default Re: Is this real?

Labels, serial numbers and FONs are not as easy to fake as you might think. And scammers generally don't include legitimate phone numbers and mailing addresses in the text of their ads.

Missing headstock logo is consistent with Style A model specs. This is actually a 1922 mandolin, not 1921, as attested to by the FON, the nickel truss rod cover, and the rare 4-thumbwheel bridge, which was used for only a few months in 1922.

So only a very narrow range of serial numbers and FONs would match the characteristics of this instrument, and both the numbers reported by the seller are in the correct range.

The shop is in Maryland, but it's not unusual for sellers to post in multiple Craigslist cities to get more eyes on their ads.

This has every indication of being a legitimate ad for a real instrument.
    Last edited by mrmando; Dec-30-2013 at 6:03pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

3. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Nevin 

and if anyone still doubts that there were paddle head, truss rod early 1920's so called "Loar Era" A style Gibson mandolins -- ( they apparently made snakeheads and paddle heads side by side) as I have seen some claim --- well, here's one!

The existence of truss-rod paddleheads is well documented; there is no reason for anyone to doubt it. While it's possible that some paddleheads were made alongside snakeheads, this one predates the snakeheads by a few months.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks both of you. I didn't know. Sorry if it sounded like I was slamming on a ligit seller.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Someone should drive over there and buy this one.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I've got a 1922 sheraton brown -truss rod paddle head..It's a killer mandolin.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

This is actually a 1922 mandolin, not 1921, as attested to by the FON, the nickel truss rod cover, and the rare 4-thumbwheel bridge, which was used for only a few months in 1922.

Martin, can you elaborate on the 4 thumbwheel bridge? I have seen a number of these but did not realize they were factory, I just figured someone added the extra wheels. I've seen enough of them, however, to realize you are correct. I'd just like more info.

MC is great - I learn something new all the time.

Thanks in advance,
    Charles

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Charles, a friend who is a big time instrument buyer from Chicago loaned me a 1921 Cremona Brown F4 that had the 2 sets of thumb wheels on the bridge....I have seen one other such bridge. the wheels appeared to be matches to the factory wheels.

Hi Charles -- I only know that I've seen a handful of these bridges and they all seem to correspond with late '21 or early '22. These are the other short-lived anomaly found in early adjustable Gibson bridges (in addition to the aluminum saddles from '21).

If, say, you were pulling all the strings off a mandolin for some reason, it would be nice to have those 2 extra thumbwheels to keep the saddle in place until you restrung the instrument. I can't think of another purpose for the thumbwheels, and since one can easily use a rubber band or twist-tie for the same purpose, the thumbwheels aren't really necessary. And of course, should they get a little loose, they could buzz, and then if they worked off they could scratch up the mandolin inside the case, and then you could impale your finger on the post once you had lost the thumbwheel. So I'm not surprised that Gibson abandoned those bridges.

Plus they are a pain to deal with when playing.....I always seem to brush against them and rub my hand raw....

I know....I know....not good technique but it's how I play

Yep...they originally had longer posts and 4 thumbwheels
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Ah, posting expired. I would've liked to have seen the 4 wheels.

Well here is one from the Archive

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/66270