Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky or Eastman?

Default Kentucky or Eastman?

Hey everybody,

I'm currently an aspiring Scottish traditional mandolinist, and my current mandolin doesn't fit my needs anymore. I am currently playing a Brunswick MM2155 mandolin, which I bought for about £200 in 2012. Since then I have experimented and immersed myself in American bluegrass music as well as traditional Scottish music. To be clear, I don't play chords or accompaniments, (only very rarely) I play flatpicked tunes.
    In November The North East Folk Collective, a group I'm part of, played at London's Royal Albert Hall to 5,000 people for the MFY School Proms and my mandolin just didn't cut it. It has close to no projection and I'm never heard, plus the intonation is terrible, despite having it serviced multiple times. It's definitely more trouble than it's worth.

In hopes to stand out a lot more and to improve my playing, and to make a bigger name for myself, I've begun looking for a new mandolin.

The two that I am most interested in l that fit my price range are:

Kentucky KM-855 - £797.12
    http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B001OQC6YW

Eastman MD515LA - £899.00
    http://www.scayles.co.uk/ProductDetails?ID=Mjgw

If anyone at all can help me decide from prior experience or just from knowledge it would be greatly appreciated as the only places available to try these models are very far from me.

Here's a video of me playing with a friend from NEFCo in London, the day after the Royal Albert hall gig, obviously I can't afford this beautiful Gibson F4 from 1910, but I really enjoyed how much more substantial it's voice and sustain was.

http://youtu.be/L2rzs2y2h3M

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Calum McIlroy

(ManolinMac) - Yes, that was SUPPOSED to be MandolinMac, but typos eh?

Default Re: Kentucky or Eastman?

Either of those is a fine choice, but as is said here all the time, set up is going to be the key. Getting an instrument off Amazon is very likely going to be one "out of the box." You might get lucky but most mandos need a bit of adjusting to get the most out of them. If you live anywhere near some shops with a few mandos, I'd suggest just taking your money in hand and seeing what's out there. If not and if you have to buy online, don't overlook other great brands like J. Bovier and The Loar.

Good luck.

3. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

It I were you, I'd go for the Eastman, I love mine. Very good workmanship, thin finish, great projection.
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gene Summers For This Useful Post:

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

I purchased an Eastman 515 last year from The Mandolin Store which come with a professional setup, and I LOVE this mandolin. It's the one in my profile picture. It has a great tone that gets even better the more I play it and the volume is enough to compete with my band mates at rehearsals. As mentioned, both are great instruments and the set up is key! I went with the Eastman after playing every mandolin I could get my hands on and basically the Eastman felt best in my hands. Good luck!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tablaninja For This Useful Post:

If you are happy with your mandolin over all, before buying a new one you may want to take it to a qualified luthier to check the set up. I recently purchased a Kentucky KM 150 from an established music store in my area but it just didn't sound right to me. (Though the music store insisted it was set up correctly.) Long story short, I found a qualified luthier and he raised the action because it was too low and hammered down some of the uneven frets and now it sounds like I have a different instrument. The intonation is MUCH better, it's louder and it has such a gorgeous "ring" to the sound quality.

Good luck whatever you decide to do and congratulations on playing at Royal Albert Hall!
    Last edited by CSIMelissa; Jan-02-2014 at 3:03pm.

9. The following members say thank you to CSIMelissa for this post:

I don't think you can go wrong with either one as they are both well made mandolins.
    BUT, if I had to choose, I would probably go with the Kentucky 855. Very nice mando indeed.
    No matter what you go with though, CSI is right, have the setup looked at to ensure it's the best it can be.
    If You don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Kentucky KM1500

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManolinMac View Post
    If anyone at all can help me decide from prior experience or just from knowledge it would be greatly appreciated as the only places available to try these models are very far from me.
    You sounded great on that video, and I'm trying to wrap my head around an aspiring Scottish traditional mandolinist who plays in the North East Folk Collective picking between two F models with f-holes from China. Have you considered something more traditional with an oval hole like Jimmy Moon builds? You don't specify your location, but there's a used flattop here for half your budget: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/ji...ase/1042385556. And if you're really concerned about being heard, there's an A+ with a pickup here for £750: http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...-for-sale.html. That instrument is listed "as new" but runs £1100 from the builder. Plus, Trevor at TAMCO has an excellent reputation -- he has even answered questions from me on this side of the pond. It may not be that Gibson F4, but I think I'd be all over that one. You can read more about the A+ in the archives:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...highlight=Moon

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/ar...p/t-32884.html

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/ar...p/t-23032.html

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/ar...p/t-28470.html

Cool article here: http://www.bq-magazine.co.uk/entrepr...scot/sc6-ent2/

Good luck with your search!

Patrick
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

12. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Calum,
    Appreciate your playing on the clip. The lack of projection does seem a issue with your current mandolin. I feel that both the Eastman and Kentucky will be projection upgrade for you. Were you focusing just on bluegrass, the Kentucky would be the instrument I would lean toward. As you play both Scottish and grass, both would work, especially as you are not looking for that grass chop from chords. If you listen to both on the Mandolin Store clips, you will be able to hear the distinct sound difference to each brand. There really is not a better as the issue is more an issue of taste and compatibility (to your playing style). For that you alone can judge.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

14. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Calum,
    there is a very nice 1988 Kentucky Dawg-Model for sale at a store called "The Fellowship of Acoustics" over in the Netherlands. Maybe a bit out of your range, but since you play very well, I just thought it won't hurt, if I mentioned it for you to google. Where is that 1910 F4 available BTW?

Henry

Hey Henry,

Thanks a lot for the help.

Before I forget, the F4 was being sold at NOTOM Vintage Guitars on Denmark street, London, but I have just found out that it has been sold! Which actually leaves an F shaped whole in my heart.

The Kentucky from the fellowship of acoustics looks glorious, however I'm not sure if I can afford it, but I may push myself a wee bit!

Cal

17. The following members say thank you to ManolinMac for this post:

Thanks everyone ever so much for your help!

The general consensus seems to be Eastman over Kentucky, so long as it had a decent set up, which I'm fairly certain Scayles music does.

I think I was more leaning towards the Eastman anyway because of it's finish and because of their reputation.

However, I will shop around a little bit more, and look at other makers you fine people have suggested. This will definitely need to be an online purchase for me, as we only have one music shop in Aberdeen and they're primarily electric guitar based.

I'll let you know how it goes, in the mean time, take care.

Thanks again,

Cal

19. The following members say thank you to ManolinMac for this post:

Hey, Patrick,

Thanks for a great response.

I'm not sure whether you watched the attached video or not, but the guy playing the guitar with me actually plays a Moon now. He's absolutely chuffed with it and I can see why.

I have heard lots of great things about Jimmy Moon and his instruments, but I've always been under the impression that they'd be far too expensive for my student budget.

The second A shape mandolin with the pick up did catch my eye. It looks lovely and I bet it sounds very good.

I will do more research into Jimmy's mandolins before I decided.

Thanks again and take care,

Cal

Just my 2 cents. I work at a local music store that carries both Kentuckys and Eastmans. From the low end to the high end I think Kentuckys are a better overall mandolin. Comparing the different makers in similar models and price ranges, the Kentuckys always seem to win out. The Kentuckys that we have carried have better pop and projection than the Eastmans. If your not playing bluegrass music Eastmans may be suitable, but they don't seem to have the same power as similar Kentuckys. Plus overall fit and finish (binding, scroll, headstock inlay) seem better on the Kentuckys. I do own a KM1050, so maybe I am biased. Again just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoMando View Post
    Just my 2 cents. I work at a local music store that carries both Kentuckys and Eastmans. From the low end to the high end I think Kentuckys are a better overall mandolin. Comparing the different makers in similar models and price ranges, the Kentuckys always seem to win out. The Kentuckys that we have carried have better pop and projection than the Eastmans. If your not playing bluegrass music Eastmans may be suitable, but they don't seem to have the same power as similar Kentuckys. Plus overall fit and finish (binding, scroll, headstock inlay) seem better on the Kentuckys. I do own a KM1050, so maybe I am biased. Again just my 2 cents.
    I'm in total agreement with ColoradoMando's thoughts above . I've owned both brands and played many many others in their respective lines . I currently play the Kentucky ....a basic entry level solid with wonderful warmth and projection and surprising playability . I loved the Eastman's tone and playability - but they seemed to project less than the Kentucky and were bottom-end shy , in my estimation . All the best...

On the subject of Jimmy Moon mandolins - they'd be ideally suited to playing British Isles folk music- and new cost in the region of £675, which is less than the Kentucky and Eastman you've been looking at. I don't own a Jimmy Moon but have spent quality time playing one before and they are lovely mandolins - loud and clear, with great tone. So, I can definitely recommend them. I'm toying with the idea of getting one myself. Also... if your budget is £899 (the price of that Eastman at Scayles) you need to be considering a Fylde Touchstone and/or Thomas Buchanan mandolins.

I think buying mandolins in the UK is slightly difficult. The only place who really seems to know about mandolins is The Acoustic Music Company in Brighton. However, I think Moloney Music in Ireland also seems to be a good place to buy mandolins from and they have instruments within your budget - and if you're set on an f hole mandolin, they can do you a The Loar LM400 with a professional set-up and a cumberland acoustic bridge fitted to it for 435 euros (shipping included), which is about £365. That would be a super deal and definite step up from what you've got. The Loar mandolins are excellent, I've got an LM300 and love it, but I know that the LM400 is superior to the LM300.

Er... lots of options there. Hope it's helpful
    Gibson A9
    Jimmy Moon Standard A

So,

I have just put a deposit down for the Jimmy Moon mandolin from the acoustic music company. I will be paying a visit to Jimmy's workshop later this month while I'm in Glasgow to try one out, and them hopefully the mandolin will be mine by the end of the month.

Thanks to everyone for the great help!

Cal

Cal, Congrats, that is great news to hear! Hope you get "the one" that makes you want to play 24/7! Best Wishes.
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

Cool! Good luck with that. Sounds like a great choice.
    Gibson A9
    Jimmy Moon Standard A

Some of you may remember my "ham sandwich" meme that floated around here a few years ago. It was based on threads where the OP would ask "What do you think about Mandolin X?" and people would post "Have you considered Mandolin Y, or Mandolin Z, etc., etc.?"

I likened it to someone asking what we thought of a deli's ham sandwich, and people replying "Have you tried their tuna salad with sprouts -- their pastrami -- their BLT?" The point was, "answer the question the OP asks, don't bring in a bunch of other extraneous choices!"

Well: Cal asked "Kentucky or Eastman?" After a very productive discussion, he's ending up with a Jimmy Moon, neither a Kentucky nor an Eastman, but probably a mandolin that'll suit his style better than either. A fine outcome, "ham sandwich" or no, and my apologies to all the past posters whom I criticized for being "unresponsive."

Ya live and learn. Hopefully.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

my apologies to all the past posters whom I criticized for being "unresponsive."

Ya live and learn. Hopefully.
    From all my reading on the forums I often find your input very enlightening Allen. You seem like an intelligent, thoughtful, knowledgeable guy. And representative of many people on this forum.

One of the things that the OP also said in his original post was:

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
    And that's what he got. and such is the enthusiasm here for our chosen, diminutive instrument, almost everyone wants to help everyone else the best they can - and to offer the best advice. Sometimes a new arrival maybe doesn't always know the right questions to ask- and perhaps their relative inexperience is crying out for the anything-but-ham answers?

I think I sometimes just get vicarious pleasure from reading about about people's new mandolin acquisitions...
    Gibson A9
    Jimmy Moon Standard A

29. The following members say thank you to Jai for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

You've already put a deposit down so you may be sorted but here are also these at John Alvey Turner in London (who also know about mandolins).

Just to muddy the waters when you don't want them muddied, for the kind of music you like to play, Gary Nava's mandolins - often featured in forum discussions here, would be near-ideal. If the Moon mandolin doesn't work out for any reason, I think you'd be delighted with a Nava.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I think that's just great, Cal. Please post your impressions of Moon mandolins generally and the A+ at TAMCO specifically over the course of the coming month.

Pat
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Whichever has the adult width nut.. ie wider than 1 1/16th.. preferably 1 3/16ths or greater.

Unfortunatley.. this eliminates both brands.