Default Re: Resource Allocation

1998 Mid-Missouri M-0
    1984 Flatiron 1N
    2009 Redline Traveler
    2007 Gypsy Vagabond
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 Collings MT
    cull the flat tops to 1 , and add another voice

mandola , Tenor Guitar , mandocello, or maybe an electric .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    But within the context of the OP's thought process, it sounded like he was trying to choose between multiple medium-quality instruments or one single "greatly superior" one. So I was merely trying to boil it down to what was more important with the dollar investment he currently has: owning lots of instruments to look at (only being able to play one at a time), or having one instrument to devote all his attention to...So that's where I was going with it, if it's helpful at all.
    It was very helpful, as I believe you articulated the dilemma better than I did in the original post. So for the dollar investment I currently have, would you like to see me behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe?

http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.co....Pgl8Ekoe.dpbs
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    cull the flat tops to 1 , and add another voice

mandola , Tenor Guitar , mandocello, or maybe an electric .
    While I wasn't necessarily fishing for advice, I will confess that I have had similar thoughts. But which flattop?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    It was very helpful, as I believe you articulated the dilemma better than I did in the original post. So for the dollar investment I currently have, would you like to see me behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe?

http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.co....Pgl8Ekoe.dpbs
    No,

I'd like to me myself behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe...LOL!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    No, I'd like to me myself behind the Ellis A5 Deluxe...LOL!
    While I appreciate the humor, I'm curious if you ever think about a significant merger where you fold your four mandolins into one. You've moved out of your Country Boy recently, and while you've been effusive in your praise of the Flatiron Pertormer, you've made no secret of your desire to acquire something with Gibson on the headstock. Do you ever think about going all in on something like this one? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72313
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

While I wasn't necessarily fishing for advice, I will confess that I have had similar thoughts. But which flattop?
    I can't imagine trumping the 1N. Have you tried it with T-I Mittels? I think with the oval hole snakehead and the f-hole MT the 1N would round out your collection completely. That said, don't seek my advice. I like having a few extra for fun!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

While I appreciate the humor, I'm curious if you ever think about a significant merger where you fold your four mandolins into one. You've moved out of your Country Boy recently, and while you've been effusive in your praise of the Flatiron Pertormer, you've made no secret of your desire to acquire something with Gibson on the headstock. Do you ever think about going all in on something like this one? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72313
    Good question and I'll try to be as brief as possible. I'm definitely a serious player who also is a collector. Every mando in my stable currently has a place/purpose:

1. The 96 Flatiron Festival A is my "beater". I take it to work every day to play on my lunch hour; it has a pickup, and it's set-up makes it real easy to play. Tone is pretty good, volume is fair; to me it's a perfect "take wherever" mando that wouldn't kill me if I lost it, etc.

2. The 99 "Derrington" Flatiron Performer A has the best tone in my stable, has good volume, is a really good "bluegrass" voiced mando. As I've noted before, Shaun Garrity said he'd buy it in a heartbeat; and it has those real "classic Gibsonesque" bluegrass qualities. Even if I had Shaun's Heiden, my "Derrington" Flat is going nowhere.

3. The 2010 Eastman MD515 has the typical "Eastman" voicing in spades, and is very loud. It makes for a perfect "jam" mando where tone is not really important. It has real nice playability, good bark, nice "pop" on chopping chords. Again, if I had a Heiden or Ellis, I'm not so sure I'd want to cart it to the weekly Bluegrass jam where it's crowded, it could get something spilled on it, get whacked, etc., all of which has happened to my Eastman at one time or another.

4. Then the 2012 J Bovier F5 Studio: It's my stage axe because it's got the tone, bark, pop, etc. and it is extremely loud, playability is great, etc. It's tone is a shade below the 99 Flat, not as "refined" as Steve Sorensen put it, and the highs don't "cut through" like the 99 Flat per Shaun, but it's good enough; I get compliments on it's sound at gigs all the time.

I also play/practice all my mandos faithfully: the 96 Flat every weekday at work, the 99 Flat weekly at band rehearsals and a few other times weekly, the Eastman at the weekly jam and other times like in the mornings, and the JBovier a couple of times a week. I'd play it more, but I'm trying to stave off as much as possible the re-fret it's gonna need soon.

So let's suppose I have the Gibson F9 added to my stable. I would incorporate it into my daily 2-3 hours of practice/play, and it would be my stage axe.

When I go to the "Great 48" Jam next week, I'm taking the JBovier and the 96 Flatiron Festival A; 2 with me, 2 left at home, and if something happened I'd still have an axe I could use on stage waiting for me at home.

The Ratliff Country Boy F5 I had did not have the type of "bluegrass" voicing I prefer, but it is a real nice mando. The cafe member who bought it from me plays a more folk and Irish Trad style and it is perfect for his needs.

Sorry for the long answer, but I hope you now understand my thinking more; and btw: I plan on 3 mando acquisitions this year: Gibson F9, Derrington Flatiron Festival F, and a Bozeman (pre-Gibson) Flatiron Festival/Performer F. I guess going all in on an F5 for example that you asked about would be equivalent to me acquiring the F9. The finish and appointments of an F5 vs F9 aren't important to me, and those "Florida" fingerboard extensions drive me crazy!...LOL!

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I will only know the answer to this question when I am faced with that situation.....and I hope I never am .. of course.... as a supposition over a beer .... it could go either way........ The only thing I can say for sure is that I couldn't order a new instrument from a prominent builder.... the waiting period would drive me to distraction.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Have you tried it with T-I Mittels?
    I have not, although I was looking at a set and considering that possibility just yesterday. I decided to hold off, though, as I'm awaiting the delivery of some GHS A-250's that a poster who will remain nameless has shilled for mercilessly in the past. I do have my first set of TI's on the Gypsy, however, and I'm a believer.

I can't imagine trumping the 1N.
    I don't imagine "trumping," though I have convinced myself that they are somewhat differently voiced despite all being modern domestic flattops. The 1N is certainly the most dynamic and well suited for the Old Time jams that I don't attend. Conversely, the Gypsy is the most resonant and therefore a better fit for the Irish sessions that I don't frequent. The Mid-Missouri is the warmest and thus the best choice for the vocal accompaniments that I don't perform. Finally, the Redline is the bassiest making it the perfect compromise for the bluegrasser on frequent business trips that I don't take. There is a tool for every non-job.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

10. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I'd pop the money on a whole raft of different instruments, mandolin, mandocello, lute, harp, chittaron etc. I just love acoustic instruments. They have a life of their own.

Sorry for the long answer, but I hope you now understand my thinking more
    I think I do. You have a mandolin for work (Festival), home (Performer), jams (Eastman), and stage (Bovier).

and btw: I plan on 3 mando acquisitions this year: Gibson F9, Derrington Flatiron Festival F, and a Bozeman (pre-Gibson) Flatiron Festival/Performer F.
    Will these acquisitions fill three new roles or replace three departures (i.e. the Bozeman F replaces the Festival A at work, the Derrington F takes the place of the Eastman at jams, and the F9 assumes the role of stage axe from the Bovier)?

I guess going all in on an F5 for example that you asked about would be equivalent to me acquiring the F9.
    While a fine instrument, the F9 isn't quite what I would consider one "greatly superior" instrument commensurate with your budget of past and planned expenditures. What if you could convert all of them into one Stanley V5? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72302

The finish and appointments of an F5 vs F9 aren't important to me, and those "Florida" fingerboard extensions drive me crazy!...LOL!
    While the instruments that we pursue diverge, you and I are in complete agreement here. If you'll notice, every instrument in my inventory is basically the plain Jane stripped down model. I just want to hear how they sound.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I think I do. You have a mandolin for work (Festival), home (Performer), jams (Eastman), and stage (Bovier).
    Not quite, the Festival is a "beater" that I always take with me everywhere, ready to have a mando to play. Often I take 2 mandos. And I'm taking the JBovier to the "Great 48 Jam", but you're assumption is close.

Will these acquisitions fill three new roles or replace three departures (i.e. the Bozeman F replaces the Festival A at work, the Derrington F takes the place of the Eastman at jams, and the F9 assumes the role of stage axe from the Bovier)?
    Not really, F9 and Derrington Flatiron Festival F both for stage axes, the Bozeman Flatiron F for collectible purposes.

While a fine instrument, the F9 isn't quite what I would consider one "greatly superior" instrument commensurate with your budget of past and planned expenditures. What if you could convert all of them into one Stanley V5? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72302
    For me the difference between the "IT" sound (Shaun's Heiden) and a real good bluegrass axe sound (my Derrington Flatiron Performer A) is such that I'm not in all that big of a hurry to mortage everything to get it. Once my stable is 3 more deep, I may consider at some point a combo of mandos to acquire such a mando if the timing is right. The problem with combining the Eastman, Festival A and JBovier is that they're really worth more to me in terms of sound/function than they are in ROI $$.

Hope that helps!

Oh & yeeah for those wondering why not the Derrington Flat Perf A for stage; Come On Man, I gotta have that scroll, LOL!

Also wanted to add this equation Derrington Flatiron Festival F = Gibson F5G of the same era.
    Last edited by DataNick; Jan-04-2014 at 11:51am. Reason: additional statement

14. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Just a thought - can you look at your inventory and say, "no matter what, these two stay?" If you can, then most of your decision has been made, since you really have only semi-interest in the non-selectees. If you can't make that decision, then accept the fact that half the fun is in the collecting and not the playing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as we all have been there with something.

Have never met a woman who said she had too many diamonds and was willing to liquidate them all to get a different one - mandolins are no different if you enjoy collecting and they all bring a smile.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Zawacki For This Useful Post:

I really want to change out a few of my mandolins though. I want a red spruce/maple A5, which I have. I just want to go with a Virginia builder, so I'll be selling a couple (Muth and Phoenix) to fund another mandolin.
    I know you're an A kind of guy, but how about this Gerald Anderson F5? http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72351
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Yes, I saw that! Look forward to see if the ad includes a photo. That said, I'd not likely pursue its purchase.

I'll wait for my Henderson A4. . .

f-d

Blog Entries

Still, I wonder sometimes, like dslaboone's wife, whether I'd be better off converting the whole budget into a single "greatly superior" one. So, I figured I'd frame the issue as a hypothetical: if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? Would you pour it into the best single instrument you could afford? Or would you diversify your portfolio? Knowing what you know now, how would you allocate your mandolin resources?
    I have always bought the best mandolin I could reasonably afford at the time. So the more realistic outcome of your hypothetical is as follows: Spend all the money on the best single mandolin I can find at that price. Start saving up for the next mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

For me the difference between the "IT" sound (Shaun's Heiden) and a real good bluegrass axe sound (my Derrington Flatiron Performer A) is such that I'm not in all that big of a hurry to mortage everything to get it.
    This is your most succinct response to the hypothetical yet. The difference between the Performer (which you've graded as an 8.5 to an 8.8 recently) and the "greatly superior" instrument (like the Heiden you reference) is not sufficient at this point to motivate you to go all in on one mandolin.

Once my stable is 3 more deep, I may consider at some point a combo of mandos to acquire such a mando if the timing is right. The problem with combining the Eastman, Festival A and JBovier is that they're really worth more to me in terms of sound/function than they are in ROI $$.
    I understand, which is why liquidating any single one of them doesn't do much for you. But move all three, sprinkle in the savings from the Country Boy, top it off with your anticipated 2014 budget, and all of a sudden you're swinging in a different weight class.

Hope that helps!
    It helped a lot, Nick. Good luck in your quest.
    Last edited by pheffernan; Jan-05-2014 at 9:02am.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

21. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    Just a thought - can you look at your inventory and say, "no matter what, these two stay?" If you can, then most of your decision has been made, since you really have only semi-interest in the non-selectees. If you can't make that decision, then accept the fact that half the fun is in the collecting and not the playing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, as we all have been there with something.
    I know that I have collecting tendencies extending back to the baseball cards and comic books of my youth. I also know that those tendencies have followed me into adulthood and the world of musical instruments, including the guitars I bought when I was a younger man. In terms of my mandolin inventory, I have not reached the "no matter what" stage, the lifetime achievement award, with any of them. I do have, however, a pair of reigning world champions, and in order to become the champ, you need to beat the champ. Several have tried; none has succeeded. And yes, by touting two champs, I well know the identities of the "non-selectees," fallen heroes of an earlier day.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

re: The selloff.

For me it's not "just" about the sound. There's an element of "story" involved. Some of my instruments have been with me long enough, that there are stories connected to my time with them. I realize that they are "just" possessions, but why cast off those possessions that reflect on your history?

On that basis, I'm keeping my 1920 A3, my 1930 L-1 (guitar), my Flatiron 1N (may give it to my son) and my Cohen. I mean I've only had my Cohen for a year and a-half, but I've known the wacky doctor for 10 years and he built me a favor - I mean it's more than what I paid in value returned. (And where else will I get a redwood/walnut mandolin?).

I'm less "connected" to my Muth and Phoenix, both great mandolins. So, they are the ones that I'll ultimately sell - all in good time. . .

f-d

24. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

What Fatt-Dad said. It's not just the instruments but the stories. The Rigel I-110 and the whole story with Pete on that and my Moll non-cut 18" 7-string guitar and all the stories involved with that. I think a lot of sellers remorse comes with the loss of the stories.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

26. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

btw: I plan on 3 mando acquisitions this year: Gibson F9, Derrington Flatiron Festival F, and a Bozeman (pre-Gibson) Flatiron Festival/Performer F.
    This year has arrived: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72430
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Yeah I talked to Kevin bout that one.

I've got a couple on my radar but my finances won't be ready till May...Thanks!

Nick, the MT is gone. Forget an F9 or F5G, you know you want the Sam Bush... j/k

30. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

You've got to find the instrument that speaks to you, that makes you want to pick it up and play. I've been through periods where I had a lot of different instruments and I just didn't play them all. There's nothing wrong with what you currently have if you enjoy them.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    You've got to find the instrument that speaks to you, that makes you want to pick it up and play. I've been through periods where I had a lot of different instruments and I just didn't play them all. There's nothing wrong with what you currently have if you enjoy them.
    Shaun,

If you're talkin to me, you're right, especially the "Derriington" Flatiron Perf A...but I gots to have at least that sound or greater in an F5 made by Gibson Brotha!.....LOL!