Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resource Allocation

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Resource Allocation

I've been thinking about this topic for some time, but it kind of crystallized around something that dslaboone wrote, or rather his wife said, in a recent thread found here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ouard-opinions

Quote Originally Posted by dslaboone View Post
    PS-for what it's worth, my wife questions my desire for a "slightly-better" instrument. She suggests that I trade in both the Flatiron and the Collings and get a "greatly superior" one. Maybe she's right??
    While I don't think there's a universal answer to that question, it does make me think about my inventory and the way in which I've allocated my mandolin dollars. I spent much of 2013 developing an interest in the instrument and wanting to play the various models I read about here on the Cafe. In the process, I amassed an arsenal of flattops, with perhaps a bit of redundancy, and set out to find one quality carved instrument with an oval hole (a Gibson snakehead) and an equivalent with f-holes (a Collings MT). Still, I wonder sometimes, like dslaboone's wife, whether I'd be better off converting the whole budget into a single "greatly superior" one. So, I figured I'd frame the issue as a hypothetical: if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? Would you pour it into the best single instrument you could afford? Or would you diversify your portfolio? Knowing what you know now, how would you allocate your mandolin resources?
    Last edited by pheffernan; Jan-02-2014 at 2:53pm.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Default Re: Resource Allocation

I'd just waste it all on hooch and crazy women.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    No, you spend it on hooch and crazy women, and waste the rest.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    So, I figured, I'd frame the issue as a hypothetical: if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? Would you pour it into the best single instrument you could afford? Or would you diversify your portfolio? Knowing what you know now, how would you allocate your mandolin resources?
    I would try and replace the types I have, an arch top (vintage if I could), a flat top, a resonator, a bowlback. I like the diversity of sounds and responses.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Looking at your inventory...

1998 Mid-Missouri M-0
    1984 Flatiron 1N
    2009 Redline Traveler
    2007 Gypsy Vagabond
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 Collings MT

you already have some nice instruments with a range of voices there...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelagh Moore For This Useful Post:

As you already pointed out, the answer to your question is highly subjective and depends on each person's preferences (obviously). To me, each instrument has its own sound and feel, and it's especially true when you take into account F hole vs Oval Hole, A style vs F style, carved top vs flap top etc. I happen to have a fairly single track mind when it comes to sound (F hole), so for me, I would prefer to get the best instrument I can for all the money I can afford, rather than a collection of different but lesser instruments. That way, I won't have to feel guilty about not playing them enough to justify keeping them.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    . . . if your collection of mandolins vaporized and you got a replacement value check from your insurer, how would you spend it? . . .
    I would put it into savings in anticipation of the impending increase in premiums.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Still, I wonder sometimes, like dslaboone's wife, whether I'd be better off converting the whole budget into a single "greatly superior" one.
    The question behind the question, IMHO, is this: do you consider yourself a collector or a serious player? Obviously, it doesn't mean that a serious player cannot have more than one mandolin, especially if playing different styles of music that call for different styles of instrument. But I think in general, you'll probably find that you gravitate towards one mandolin as your "go-to" favorite over time. It's human nature. And the others end up being neglected or simply not used.

And of course, your skill level will really take off when you spend enough hours on "the one" mandolin you choose. When you know its every secret spot, and how to squeeze tone/volume out of it, it becomes a special relationship. It takes many, many hours (over months/years) with that one mandolin. Obviously, trying to spread your time between different mandolins can detract from this.

So for me it was simple. All I want or need is one mandolin, if I intend to master it. And if I'm going to put all my effort into that one mandolin, it had better be a good 'un.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    So for me it was simple. All I want or need is one mandolin, if I intend to master it. And if I'm going to put all my effort into that one mandolin, it had better be a good 'un.
    I was thinking of you and your Ellis when I read about the one "greatly superior" theory. Of course, I don't have a wife with a Pava.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I would try to replace what I have now-a nice arched top,oval hole, a matching oval hole octave mandolin, and an F hole for a more bluegrass sound. I would probably turn to the same person that made 2 of mine for the replacement(s).
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

I think I'd split it up into two or three instruments, a good f-hole A instrument for playing around, possibly a backup (cheaper) probably with an oval hole (much like my rescue bandolim, which has a nice ringing tone going on) and a bowlback for classical.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I would try and replace the types I have, an arch top (vintage if I could), a flat top, a resonator, a bowlback. I like the diversity of sounds and responses.
    I agree with Jeff. I would add one more instrument though; an OM. I think that gives a good range of voices to select from when playing different types of music. Thus far, I have the arch top, flat top and OM (also an arch) that meet my requirements. I am currently doing a slow, deliberate search for the right bowlback. At this point, each time I add an instrument, I try to make it one that will be a keeper. No need to hurry in any search.

Best wishes,

Bob

If Hans wouldn't make one … i'ld go see Jim Garber and see if i could make him an offer he couldn't refuse for his Brentrup A4C.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

I have stayed with one main mandolin for almost all my playing life, sold all the rest. Never figured out how to play more than one at a time and, the "odd tuning" thing has not seemed as essential as it once did. Sold my first Harmony to buy a Kalamazoo KM11, sold that for my Alvarez, bought a fifties A-50, sold that for an A style Stiver, sold that for Christmas money one year.
    If I had them all right now, I'd still keep the Alvarez, sell all the rest and know just exactly who I would go share a glass with and discuss what I wanted in my Mandolin of choice, wouldn't even have to go very far....ahh pipe dreams.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

C'mon now, fellers. Y'all just blowin' smoke. You know what you'd want - it starts with a G, has a signed label inside with the same first and last name letter, and was made in the Year Of Our Lord 1922-24.

19. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    C'mon now, fellers. Y'all just blowin' smoke. You know what you'd want - it starts with a G, has a signed label inside with the same first and last name letter, and was made in the Year Of Our Lord 1922-24.
    Nope, not me. I'd like to have what that is worth, but for my style of picking, I prefer oval holes to f-holes. Also, the F-style doesn't really do it for me; I prefer high-end 'A's. But that's just me. Different mandolins for different players. Isn't it great we have so many to choose from?!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

It would be nice to have the funds for a diverse inventory of mandolins and I envy anyone who has such an arsenal...and it appears you do. As for me, I have two mandolins: I fell head-over-heels in love with my Weber as soon as I heard it. Even though I loved my Colllings and wanted to keep it in the worst way, it just wasn't practical for me to do so, so I sold it. I did invest in an electric mandolin to play around with, but my Weber is my one true love. I don't know that I will ever have another mandolin...maybe if I hit the lottery. I am very happy owning one very good mandolin.
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    OldSausage, you are one crazy fellow. I can't stop laughing!
    Weber Custom Vintage A
    JBovier ELS Electric
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone HT

24. The following members say thank you to lorrainehornig for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think there's a sweet spot at about $3K (unless you need and f-model). I just can't imagine selling all my mandolins just to get a $12 or $15,000.00 mandolin.

So, I wouldn't sell the basic profile that represents my "collection." That means, I'm keeping my redwood/walnut Cohen, my 1920 A3 and my Flatiron pancake ('84 1N). I really want to change out a few of my mandolins though. I want a red spruce/maple A5, which I have. I just want to go with a Virginia builder, so I'll be selling a couple (Muth and Phoenix) to fund another mandolin.

Now if Wayne Henderson actually builds me a snakehead A4, that'd be a keeper for sure!

So, I guess I like having an instrument profile. It's sort of like having your own music shop that only has the stuff you like to play!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

What would I do if my "collection of mandolins vaporized"? Well, I'd mourn the loss of so many old friends. And I'd use that insurance check to acquire a somewhat-equivalent collection: good bluegrass F-model, resonator(s), carved-top and flat-top oval-holes, mandola, octave, mandocello, bowl-back(s) for historical programs, Strad-O-Lin "beater," mandolin-banjo, and some oddballs just for fun. Maybe a Turturro "turn-over" ukulele/mandolin, just 'cause I don't have one now. Or a Waldo bowl-back with f-holes.

What I'd never do, is put all the money into one instrument. My whole collection wouldn't fund a Lloyd Loar Gibson F-5, and that's the only kind of mandolin that I'd consider as a one-and-only. Even then, I'd miss the different voices; it couldn't chirp like the Howe-Orme mandolinetto, boom like the Gibson K-1 mandocello, or snarl like the National Triolian. "All God's critters got a place in the choir," as Bill Staines wrote. "Some sing low, and some sing higher."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

The question behind the question, IMHO, is this: do you consider yourself a collector or a serious player?...
    Not being difficult here but what if you consider yourself both?
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Not being difficult here but what if you consider yourself both?
    I suppose if money is no object, you can be both. They needn't be mutually exclusive. But within the context of the OP's thought process, it sounded like he was trying to choose between multiple medium-quality instruments or one single "greatly superior" one. So I was merely trying to boil it down to what was more important with the dollar investment he currently has: owning lots of instruments to look at (only being able to play one at a time), or having one instrument to devote all his attention to.

I concede that I'm viewing this through the lens of a recovering collector of firearms. I have an entire gun room full of firearms, which is satisfying in its own way. But I have realized that there's a lot of money sitting there doing nothing but looking pretty. I can only shoot one at a time, and proficiency in shooting (like mandolin playing) suffers when you spread out your efforts on a bunch of different ones. And it's a shame to neglect the others. I'm about to the point where I'm ready to rid myself of the ones I never use, and pare it down to one or two (OK, maybe five) serious shooters that I can dedicate my time to master. Ridding myself of the others would free up the funds for a select few that are "greatly superior". I decided not to make that same mistake with mandolins. Being a collector is great, but until I win the lottery, I'd rather dedicate the funds to a serious player's instrument.

So that's where I was going with it, if it's helpful at all.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

How about this, as one approach you could take:

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I suppose if money is no object, you can be both. They needn't be mutually exclusive.... I decided not to make that same mistake with mandolins. Being a collector is great, but until I win the lottery, I'd rather dedicate the funds to a serious player's instrument.

So that's where I was going with it, if it's helpful at all.
    I agree with you; unfortunately I'm dead set on a one-way course to go broke but live happily ever after with the mando stable of my choosing...LOL!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Marty, your new axe is sweet...Thanks for sharing.