Thread: 1896 g1 Martin Mandolin

Default 1896 g1 Martin Mandolin

I just found out that the Bowl back Mandolin I have is a 1896 G1 there were not that many made. Mine is number 93. I found this out through a historian at Martin Guitar. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the value of this Mandolin. I would be interested in selling this item.
    I did check with the Mandolin world headquarters and he does not take bowl back but suggested I check here. So here I am.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	112605   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	314 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	112606   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	474 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	112607  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	326 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	112608   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	311 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	112609   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	311 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	112610  

Default Re: 1896 g1 Martin Mandolin

Very interesting. It is true that you don't see too many of these and yours does look to be in very good to exc condition. Unfortunately, it is really hard to determine what the market will bear for such a mandolin. This may be a case where rarity doesn't really translate into large numbers. Because it is a Martin it is certainly worth something but I don't really know of the G series bowlbacks are worth any more than the later ones of similar ornamentation. Considering how few of us mandolin players even play bowlbacks and what a low respect problem bowlbacks have in the US for example, I would say to price it similar to most of the other Martin-made bowlbacks.

You might also check on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and see what people there might say.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim thanks for the input. Chalets told me you would helpful.

You have a piece of mandolin (and Martin) history there. Here's what Mike Longworth's "Martin & Co.; A History" says:

"Style G Mandolins
    Circa 1896 - Available in G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-5 models.

Little is known about the G series mandolin. There was a small catalog issued about 1896 when Mr. F.H. Martin was making his first entry into the mandolin market, and this catalog showed the G. mandolins. They may well have been serially numbered as the numbers began about this time. Since the sales book for this period begins in 1898, no actual sales of the G mandolins were recorded."

The book includes four photos from that catalog, and the mandolins have the same distinctive features as yours has (the tuners and the tailpiece are different than the later mandolins).

I don't have an idea of what it might be worth, but Jim is correct: rarity doesn't necessarily equal value when it comes to Martin mandolins. I have a extremely rare Martin flat-back from 1916, for example (a "Bitting Special," which they only made a couple of dozen of, and is the only flatback mandolin Martin made with a maple back and sides), and it isn't worth any more than the plain mahogany ones they made by the thousands right into the 1970s.

That said, if you found someone who collected Martin bowlbacks, they'd likely be interested in it. I don't know anyone who does, though.

Your best bet for info might be Fred Oster, who run Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia. He's an expert, and he deals both in Martins and in bowlbacks. He has a 1907 style 4 for sale right now for $2,500. (It is, however, a fancier model than yours, and in "time capsule" condition.)

The info page on his website -- http://vintage-instruments.com/ -- has an email inquiry form.

Charles from World of Mandolins

Maybe George Gruhn could give you an appraisal and determine its value. I would send him an email with all the pix. I think he doesn't charge a lot.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Contact Stan Jay at Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island. Their website is www.mandoweb.com. They did the appraisal for the Martin Museum several years back.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Is this a g1? with the steel bowl back? curious. just found in an attic in Colorado. It may be moving to California!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5098.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	924.1 KB 
ID:	152564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5097.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	827.2 KB 
ID:	152563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5096.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	1,001.7 KB 
ID:	152562  

Last edited by Mandophile; Dec-29-2016 at 1:39pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Is this a g1? with the steel bowl back?...
    No, it's neither a Martin G-1, nor even a Martin. It's a Merrill, made by the Aluminum Musical Instrument Co. around 1894-98. As the name implies, the bowl's aluminum, not steel.

Neil Merrill, and inventive but perhaps a bit unscrupulous instrumental innovator, made aluminum musical instruments -- largely violins, mandolins, and other violin-family instruments -- until creditor lawsuits drove him out of business. Here's an interesting Mugwumps article on the subject of aluminum musical instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

10. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

I apologize for placing this query re the Merrill. Never post before coffee.
    That said, it was quite fruitful and I learned more than I could have imagined.
    I salute all the knowledgeable players out there. Thank you so much.

12. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post: