Thread: Adjusting attack to pick type -- JazzMando V

Default Adjusting attack to pick type -- JazzMando V

Hi,

I realize that this is a topic that may have been beaten to death, but....

I've been trying out different picks looking for one that gives me the best combination of sound and control. I've tried a range of guitar picks (fender heavy and the sort), the pickboy mandolin picks and more recently the JazzMando V pick. Many of the guitar picks sound absolutely horrible (very "clicky"), and the smaller picks can at times be tough to hang on to.

I think I like the V pick so far, but found that it requires a slightly different technique. The fatter pick & rounded edge seemed to be quieter at first & I'm finding that I have to adjust my picking technique a bit to get better volume and a bit more high end. I like the fact that it seems to put more emphasis on the fundamentals, but need to be aware of the attack angle to get more high end. Also, it seems like the tremolo approach needs to be a bit more definitive. My sense is that, with some practice, I'll be much happier with the V pick than others as the sound seems to be far more clear.

I've gone from learning fiddle tunes to working on more classical pieces, which may also have some bearing.

Has anyone out there had similar experience or advice?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Adjusting attack to pick type -- JazzMando V

It seems that as I progress, my right hand technique changes along with the process. Changes in pressure and angle etc might cause one pick to be an advantage in feel over another. All my picks 'click' at some pressure point. I tend to favor the ones that work today.

And by the time I get off the steep end of the learning curve, I should have a bucket full of picks that were the 'best pick' for a week or two.

I have recently switched back to using a thicker JD 207 (Jim Dunlop) from using a thinner "organic" pick. The thinner pick gives me plenty of projection in the mids and highs but the JD 207 really adds some great lower frequencies. I switched due to a banjo player telling me I was too loud at a local jam, seriously. I figured he meant too much projection in the mids and highs because banjo players have no concept of relative volume, lol. Seems to be working out so far.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Banjo player saying you were too loud??- kettle calling the pot black etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rodbell View Post
    I'm finding that I have to adjust my picking technique a bit to get better volume and a bit more high end.
    Hi Mike. I too find that I adjust attack angle to obtain different sounds, and that it does depend on the pick.
    My pick of choice for some time now, has been the Wegen TF 140. For me, this pick delivers the best sound, a smooth controlled 'feel' and the least amount of pick-click.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Jan-18-2014 at 1:24pm. Reason: deleted a stupid question.

Thanks all. My first reaction is that I like the picks. They also threw in a Pro Plec pick, which is a bit easier to play, but doesn't get quite the same tone out of the instrument. I think I'm generally convinced that a rounded, heavier gauge pick gets the best sound, and as you've mentioned, I have some work to do with the attack. One thing I've found is that, to get a better sound, I need to drive the strings with a bit more determination than with the thinner, more pointed picks. That seems to get a nice sound though.

aside: I wash my pick, when I wash my hands , and it makes the oils on both, less..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture