Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strung like a horse. Glad

Default Strung like a horse. Glad

I hope I'm posting this to the right place. Check out this video by a local band in my area. Warning it is graphic/zombie killing. NSFW, little kids, or people that don't like killing zombies. Oh and there's a mandolin in it too

http://www.strunglikeahorse.com/press/
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jan-22-2014 at 9:26am. Reason: videos can be watched locally on forum

2. The following members say thank you to hippyNthehills for this post:

Default Re: Strung like a horse. Glad

Lots of effort went into the video, but more should have gone into the songwriting...and finding a singer who can sing.

whats wrong with the song? and for that matter, what's wrong with the singer? I live on planet earth with normal people and i have seen/heard much worse. anyway. post your video now so we can critique it lol

Blog Entries

I thought it was entertaining. This would be a hit with the Hot Rod, Rat Rod psyco-billie dudes in my area.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by hippyNthehills View Post
    whats wrong with the song? and for that matter, what's wrong with the singer? I live on planet earth with normal people and i have seen/heard much worse. anyway. post your video now so we can critique it lol
    Hmm, pretty touchy. If you don't want criticism don't put it out there.

Blog Entries

I think this may just be a bad fit for the Bluegrass/Newgrass/Gospel variant section!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I hope I'm posting this to the right place. Check out this video by a local band in my area. Warning it is graphic/zombie killing. NSFW, little kids, or people that don't like killing zombies. Oh and there's a mandolin in it too

http://vimeo.com/m/71713295

http://www.strunglikeahorse.com/press/
    That was awesome! Don't be put off by the negativity, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandotarian View Post
    That was awesome! Don't be put off by the negativity, thanks for posting.
    What negativity, there was one post that didn't care for it?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

How did I know it was an F-style before I saw it?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Save the zombies! Zombies were people too!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

12. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

It looked like folks had fun making this film, although it didn't make much sense to me. People who do prosthetics, makeup, special effects, etc., must be thanking their lucky stars for the popularity of zombies and vampires and whatnot these days.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

14. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Oh I totally don't mind the criticism, I knew there would be those that didn't like/get it or whatever. I was asking honestly. What's wrong with the song? If it's flawed I don't want to make the same mistake. And what's wrong with the singer? I have heard much worse. Bob Dylan was asked to get off the stage in the early part of his career, and he did ok.

Criticism is more than just panning something you don't dig, it's also being able to explain why.

Having said that, I would like to know what would have made it a better song. Keep in mind it's garage grass, not Mozart lol.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    ...although it didn't make much sense to me.
    I think the plot boils down to "trick or treat", but Michael Myers seemed to be missing in action. I liked the mention of Monsanto, though.
    Reminded me a bit of this other one, too.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Oh I totally don't mind the criticism, I knew there would be those that didn't like/get it.....Criticism is more than just panning something you don't dig, it's also being able to explain.....Keep in mind it's garage grass, not Mozart lol.
    Ok, I don't dig the gratuitous violence. I also don't dig the chord changes of the song or the musicianship. Most of all, I despise the fact you call it "garage grass" in some effort to link it to bluegrass music, which couldn't be further from the truth, despite the mandolin. At the end of the day, I'm just one guy with taste, and if you all make oodles of money cashing in on the zombie craze, then more power to ya!

18. The following members say thank you to Herbm55 for this post:

Blog Entries

I like what you've done. It's a fun band and the video production is first rate.

The music world is big and wide and this site was created to celebrate its diversity. It's not for everyone, but then everyone doesn't want to see a bunch of statues in suits standing frozen on stage attempting to play bluegrass, or for that matter, a guy from Israel that plays classical mandolin and don't talk like us. Speaking only for myself, I like it all.

Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jan-22-2014 at 9:26am.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Far too much blood for me, and I am afraid of Zombies but it has great production, it's entertaining in a cult-like bloody way, and the song and singer aren't that bad, IMO. I just hope I do not have nightmares tonight

22. The following members say thank you to Cheryl Watson for this post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Pointless, tasteless, and I love every second of it. All the effort into the production, the music, the acting and rehearsals, etc, is well worth it. This is the sort of thing (minus the blood) that we try to get a lot of our orchestra kids doing, as it can give them a creative outlet they don't necessarily get sitting in a symphony chair. It lets them see that all those hours of practice can be used for something fun. I'm finding with the "younger set" that this sort of multimedia presentation is becoming the norm. There are a million kids who play well, and this is a way to differentiate.

I'd love to see a whole section here for home-made mandolin-related videos of any quality. But they can't be just guys sitting around playing, that's dull. Beheadings? Well, maybe not so much, but they have to have a plot.

Blog Entries

Cheryl, I'm available for lullabies on the mandolin by phone. Call me at 1-800-AINTBGR when you're ready to be put to sleep.

Now that I've seen the crack in the armor or the traditional bluegrass police I'm betting they'll be coming a'bleatin' like a dieing calf in a hailstorm to this discussion (name the famous bluegrass recording that came from). Isn't that one of the Bluegrass Ten Commandments? Though shalt not use the word grass proceeded by anything but the word blue? Blasphemy!

Carry on.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Didn't make it to the music. I hit stop after the first machine gun spray. But that's just me. Thanks for sharing.
    Bobby Bill

27. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

I liked the singer's voice. He reminded me of someone I heard a long time ago. And there weren't any guys in bare feet, which is a plus.

. . . Bob Dylan was asked to get off the stage in the early part of his career, and he did ok. . . .
    OK, if no one else is gonna say it, I will. "I knew Bob Dylan, and Strung Like a Horse, you're no Bob Dylan."
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Wait! you're saying this isn't a documentary?
    You haven't visited Truth or Consequences NM!

31. The following members say thank you to oldwave maker for this post:

fhaz 

Cudos for the work and creativity but not my cup of tea.

SkaGrass . . . a new twist on the PunkGrass scene from Yonder Mountain and Greensky Bluegrass, etc.

Just needs less head-choppin' and more mando-choppin' ! ! !

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

I don't like the blood/vilolence either, but I know there are people who are all zombie crazy and I thought they would get a kick out of it.