Thread: a nice autoharp (no mando content)

Default a nice autoharp (no mando content)

This thread is the continuation of the one below ("a nice zither") which explained the sequence of events leading me into discovering what's called autoharp.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-a-nice-zither

I bid one on eBay and won for 94$ for a ChromAharp, relative new with hard case included. This hard case alone could cost at least 70$, probably 140$ as it is not a popular product. This is another lucky bid on eBay (as no one bid but me).

I received it today and whow, it looks nice and is really in very good condition.
    But it does not come with a tuning wrench, luckily the tuning wrench of my concert zither fit nicely. This tuning wrench is for rectangular pin, however, the short sides grip the square head tightly.
    I am tuning (36 strings) using this wrench for today and will order the correct one for the ChromAharp next.

This harp is ready to be played after proper tuning, so far so good, not too hard.

I will add a piezo transducer to this one tomorrow (the same one I added to one of my acoustic mandolin and acoustic ukulele, which sound great thru my amp with a Compression Pedal). I will post some sound sample (or a youtube link).

Any guitarist can strum this harp on the first encounter. Playing melody will take some practice.

Default Re: a nice autoharp (no mando content)

When you order your tuning wrench, my advice would be to get the T-shaped kind; a bit more expensive, but in my experience, easier to fine-tune.

As to playing melody, my particular exemplar is Drew Smith of NJ:

I'll be sitting in on his Autoharp workshop at New England Folk Festival in April.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I have looked on eBay for T- shape tuning wrench, trouble is their socket is for >4mm tuning pin. Mine is only 3/16" and I found only two L shape at this size. Luckily, my current T-shape tuning wrench (for the concert zither) fit this auto harp pin tighgtly and I was able to get it in tuned within 15 mins.

Today, I moved the minor chord bars around to get a more logical arrangement.
    Then after spending about 20 mins of practice, I was able to play the tune Amazing Grace with melody and chords together. To start with, I only use the 3 basic chords : G C and D7. Still not very proficient (can't expect with 20 mins of practice) but I manage to play the song OK.
    I also added a [cheap] piezo transducer under the sound board, near the sound hole), run the wire from the sound hole to the right side (where my right arm is), and temporarily tape the wire and the connector using blue masking tape. The wire is hidden under the chord bars assembly and only stick out to the side.
    I connect this to the compression pedal then to my amp, it sounds loud and sweet. I love it.

With all the excitement going in me, this afternoon, I go ahead and ..... BID another one (15 chord) and WON it 60 mins ago, 45$ + about 17.50$ shipping. Another good deal.

Crazy ??? NO, I plan to convert this second one to a diatonic autoharp in the key of C.

All autoharps are shipped in the chromatic configuration where it has all the notes of the piano spanning almost 3 octaves (except the few bass strings). The diatonic (in the C key) will have the sharp notes tuned down to their natural note (e.g F# will be tuned as F), except the A# (which is Bb) will remain. (so I can have C and F keys support). With double strings tuned to the same note, the instrument will sound louder and better (think about 12-string guitar). With 15 chord bars, there are plenty of special chords that can be supported for C and F keys (diminished chords for example).

If I am not mistaken, the video in post#2 shows a diatonic auto harp as it sounds fuller. The chromatic sounds thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I have looked on eBay for T- shape tuning wrench, trouble is their socket is for >4mm tuning pin. Mine is only 3/16" and I found only two L shape at this size. Luckily, my current T-shape tuning wrench (for the concert zither) fit this auto harp pin tighgtly and I was able to get it in tuned within 15 mins.
    3/16" = 4.625mm therefore larger than the ones you were looking at. I can't get to my OS Appalachian but I believe i bought a harpsichord tuning wrench from a piano supply place many moons ago. In any case, what about this one? It says that it is meant for autoharps.

If I am not mistaken, the video in post#2 shows a diatonic auto harp as it sounds fuller. The chromatic sounds thinner.
    I believe that you may be mistaken. That is a handbuilt custom autoharp that Drew had made for him. Knowing him, I think he would want it to play in many different keys. BTW it is a pretty large instrument as you can see.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

kkmm 

Jim,

thanks for providing me lots of info I need in the last few weeks.

I did not notice that the harp in the video is much larger than the usual ones.
    Again, I am a total novice in this area.
    Please let know if converting my second one (15-chord) to diatonic is good for sound fullness.
    Limiting to two keys would be fine for me as I have the first one with 21 chords.

I admit, I got dizzy about the size of the wrench after looking thru a dozen tuning wrenches on eBay (inch versus mm).
    I saw one that is ADJUSTABLE but it costs way too much compared to the normal one.

Drew plays an Orthey autoharp, and it's chromatic. The "fuller" sound comes from solid-wood quality construction. Most commercial Autoharps and Chromaharps are plywood.

His instrument is similarly-sized to the Schmidt and Chromaharp instruments, perhaps slightly bigger. I have a couple of "custom" Autoharps (well, not actually, since "Autoharp" is a trademark of Oscar Schmidt; call 'em "chord zithers" or whatever). The one built by Mike Autorino is a bit larger than the standard dimensions; the Tom Morgan is exactly the same size as Schmidts et. al.

You will get a fuller sound from diatonic stringing. You'll have to re-cut the felts on the chord bars, but that's not too big a challenge. Mike Seeger, toward the end of his career, was playing a diatonic 'harp, and it sounded really wonderful. I believe Brian Bowers plays diatonics as well.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

I will order the felt from eBay and get ready for the diatonic conversion once I received the second one, making sure it is good to play (after tuning the strings).
    I am still choosing between (C + F keys) and (G and C keys) configuration.
    I have been playing with G and C key songs so far.

Here is a you tybe video I just taped today with the simple Amazing Grace song. Next time, I will put a microphone in front of it to get louder sound.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5uJC...ature=youtu.be
    I learned how to play this harp from youtube videos of Jo Ann Smith. She explained things really well and it took me only about an hour to figure out of to play melody. (similar to mandolin tremolo technique where I learn from a lady named rockygirl, on youtube).
    Can't wait for my diatonic harp.

The harp has a lovely sound and you're learning really quickly. Glad you're having so much fun with it.

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually, a short learning curve really gave me all the excitement.
    I tried with microphone and it sounds much much better.
    I played this song a bit too fast, out of my excitement right after discovering a playing technique that allow me to play without even looking at the strings.
    I will slow down to proper tempo the next time I recorded it.

I received the second one today, 16-chord. Tuned up and try a few basic chords. Same brand as the first one but does not look as beautiful as the first one (i.e. single plain brown color, no bindings, no sound hole either). It's also much lighter, probably due to lighter wood used for the frame.

Then I went ahead with the diatonic conversion, key of C only. So all the sharps are tuned down one half step matching their natural. This job took me two hours. I also lower the chord bars ("lower the action" !!!).

One octave now contains: CC DD E FF GG AA B (repeat again for next octave).
    Without having the replace the felts, just cut more holes and I got these chords:
    C , Dm, Em, F, G, Am
    G7, C6, Am, Am6, Dm7, Dm6
    The remaining two requires new felts before they can become useful chords in the C key.

And it sounds much much fuller. I play a few tunes for hours and can't put really it down.
    Will post youtube video (my wife got tired of video taping me playing instruments).

I am so happy discovering this wonderful instrument that is so easy to learn.

Bryan Bowers pretty much invented the diatonic autoharp as far as I know. They make a beautiful sound, but you're pretty much stuck to one key per autoharp. A chromatic autoharp can sound pretty amazing - check out Kilby Snow on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    ...check out Kilby Snow on youtube.
    One of my absolutely all-time favorite Autoharp cuts:

1. The "Elizabeth Cotten" of 'harp players: thumb playing the treble, fingers the bass, bass-ackwards from what everyone else does.

2. What he called "drag notes," those hammered-on "slurs" up to the melody note. Understand he recut his felts to achieve this; Mike Seeger did a write-up on this (he recorded Snow for his Mountain Music On the Autoharp Folkways anthology).

3. No one I know of now tries to play like Snow; I sure don't. But it's wonderful stuff. Snow only played in one or two keys, I believe.

4. Those gray-topped instruments were made by Schmidt for Sears, I believe, and sold under the "Silvertone" label.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

This is a wonderful performance and .. quite an unusual holding of this instrument. I have seen (on eBay) some auto harp that are designed "for left handed" but this makes very natural if one play it on the lap (or on a table). The left hand still push the chord buttons and the right hand picks the strings (bass strings closest to player body). There is no need to cross hands in this situation.
    I am still with the soft kind of music on this instrument (gospel music too). Will stick with gospel music for a few months (soloing and singing with accompaniment).
    Now I have two: one chromatic to play in a lot of keys, and this second one in key of C only. The conversion requires no new materials, I just used what's there.

I have one question though: are autoharps made in Japan / Korea / China like other instruments ?
    My second one has a sticker "made in Japan", but it does feel like "Japanese quality" to me. The first one does.
    Some on eBay has the sticker "made in Korea".

I have one question though: are autoharps made in Japan / Korea / China like other instruments ?...
    They are now, at least those labeled "Autoharp" and "Chromaharp." There are small 'harp builders in the US, such as Orthey, Timbre Line, Fladmark, Evoharps (Evo Bluestein), etc. Link to page of listings.

Bit of history: first Autoharps made by "inventor" and patenter Charles Zimmermann were made in Philadelphia. He sold the trademark to Alfred Dolge, who made them in Dolgeville NY (note the name similarity; the grateful residents renamed their town after him!) until the early 20th century. Then they were made by Phonoharp (Boston, I think), finally the trademark was acquired by Oscar Schmidt Co. in Jersey City. Oscar Schmidt is now a division of US Music Co., headquartered in IL, and as far as I can tell all Oscar Schmidt instruments are Asian made. More knowledgeable people can correct me if I'm wrong there…

Patent protection on the "chord zither" has run out, but "Autoharp" is still a registered trademark assigned to Oscar Schmidt. For this reason, other similar instruments are given names like Chromaharp; you won't see any instruments other than the Oscar Schmidts that are legitimately labeled "Autoharp."
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

19. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

kkmm 

I bought a 3rd one (Oscar Smith) , used (for 40$), also 15-chord and converted to diatonic, key of F. It sounds warmer than the ChromAharp 15-chord which I converted to diatonic, key of C.
    After fiddling around with the modifications, I learned a bit more how it is contructed and how to adjust the "action", not only the height of the bars but also how much it could move along its length. If it moves too much then the holes won't line up with the strings properly and produce wrong notes.
    I sold my Ovation MCS-148 for 350$ so I have money for these 3 autoharps (less than 200$ total so far), still have money for a few more ;-)
    And I am progressing toward picking the strings more precisely to produce louder melody (versus accomp. chords which are softer).

Blog Entries

Kilby Snow is one of the gems of old time music. Inspiring beyond autoharpers to fiddlers and mandolinners. Just wonderful stuff.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....