Thread: newbie and first mandolin

Smile newbie and first mandolin

Hi from Montreal, QC, Canada!!!

I found this site last week and it's a really nice place to learn about mandolins!
    I played violin for about 12 years (as a hobby) but I put it aside for the last few years since there's always a time in life where it gets too hectic...
    My new year resolution was to take time to renew with my violin... but I discover the world of mandolins.. and it was a ''coup de coeur'' (love at first sight).
    and the fact that violin and mandolin have the same strings was a revelation to me!
    but the thing that scares me the most is the right hand movements.. I never played guitar so I never try picking...

so.. I found a local teacher (my first lesson is next Tuesday).
    I'm looking to buy my first mandolin... but I'm quite overwhelmed by all the choice out there...
    The music I want to play is more the classical type then the folk or bluegrass.
    I watch a youtube video that demystified the difference between A and F mandolins and I personally like sound of the A.
    My budget is around 200-300$.

Should I buy a new instrument in a guitar shop or check into the classifieds and/or ebay? (I know I should try a instrument before buying it but even if I try it I don't know anything about how a mandoline should play!)
    If I buy a used one should I bring it to a luthier?
    what would you suggest I should buy?

thank you for your help!

Registered User Samuel David Britton's Avatar

Default Re: newbie and first mandolin

Get yourself a Kentucky KM-150, solid woods and great sound. Should be able to find one in the classifieds.
    Sam

The Loar LM-220-VS

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    ...I'm looking to buy my first mandolin...
    The music I want to play is more the classical type...I watch a youtube video that demystified the difference between A and F mandolins and I personally like sound of the A.
    Actually, A-model and F-model mandolins don't differ in terms of sound, generically. The "scroll and points" that adorn an F-model are in most cases solid wood, and make only the most marginal of acoustical differences, if any.

The important "differences" are oval-soundhole vs. f-holes, and carved top vs. flat or canted top. Also, the general shape and size of the "box" -- whether it's a bowl-back, flat-back, etc. For classical playing, the standard (not required) is a canted-top, oval-hole instrument, generally a bowl-back. The classical repertoire can be played on any style mandolin, of course, but a plurality, at least, of classical mandolinists play bowl-backs.

My budget is around 200-300$.
    That's at the low end of what's available. Getting a decent oval-hole instrument will mean making some compromises, perhaps. The Kentucky "170" series of oval-holes might be near your price range; they have carved rather than flat/canted tops, but are solid wood (not plywood), carved instruments, well respected for quality.

1.Should I buy a new instrument in a guitar shop or check into the classifieds and/or ebay? (I know I should try a instrument before buying it but even if I try it I don't know anything about how a mandoline should play!)
    There are many bowl-back mandolins available on the used market, even in your price range; most are 75-100 years old and should be approached with caution if you're a beginner. While as a classical player you might want to end up with a quality bowl-back, instruments of that age and generally light construction, can have serious defects. If you have a mandolin-playing friend, even if he/she plays bluegrass or whatever, take that person along when shopping, if possible. The most important question fo a a beginner, is whether the mandolin is properly set up -- bridge height and location, nut height and slotting, neck "relief" (and truss rod adjustment if the instrument has one). Perhaps your "local teacher" would be willing to help you in selecting an instrument.

2.If I buy a used one should I bring it to a luthier?
    New or used, the instrument needs to be properly adjusted. Not necessarily a luthier, but a qualified instrument tech with mandolin (in addition to guitar) experience should at least inspect it to see if it's well set up.

3.what would you suggest I should buy?
    Mentioned the Kentucky "170" series above; the different models, 171, 172 etc., mainly have different finishes, same construction. If you can find a used "flat top" mandolin in your price range -- won't be easy -- that would be suitable as well.

Advice would be to stick to established brands with good reputations. There are a lot of inexpensive mandolins on eBay, like this Savannah, that you can buy for $100 or less. But you're taking a chance with them; they almost certainly won't be set up, and you may or may not find them acceptable starter instruments.

Good Luck!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I have seen used Mid-Missouri mandolins (about ten years old) go for as little as $300 in the classified. These are fine American made instruments. A plain flat topped instrument with no frills, but with excellent tone for your interests. I have one and am always amazed how nice it sounds for a lower cost mando... Your choices are few for new quality instruments at that price range, but the lower end Kentucky mentioned above has good reviews on this site. Also watch for used The Loar. The less expensive models used may sometimes fall into your price range.

I would consider used if in good shape because normally you can get a quality instrument for considerably less than new and normally the instrument has already been well set up by the previous owner. (A set up will normally cost between $60 and $100 roughly.)

About picking... Flat pics are normally used for mandolins. You shouldn't have much difficulty learning to use a flat pick but like anything else it takes lots of practice to become proficient. Learning to use tremolo with a flat pick takes lots of hours of practice to become competent but it pays off in maybe a year or two.
    Bart McNeil

Thanks for all the posts!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Actually, A-model and F-model mandolins don't differ in terms of sound, generically. The "scroll and points" that adorn an F-model are in most cases solid wood, and make only the most marginal of acoustical differences, if any.

The important "differences" are oval-soundhole vs. f-holes, and carved top vs. flat or canted top. Also, the general shape and size of the "box" -- whether it's a bowl-back, flat-back, etc. For classical playing, the standard (not required) is a canted-top, oval-hole instrument, generally a bowl-back. The classical repertoire can be played on any style mandolin, of course, but a plurality, at least, of classical mandolinists play bowl-backs.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Advice would be to stick to established brands with good reputations. There are a lot of inexpensive mandolins on eBay, like this Savannah, that you can buy for $100 or less. But you're taking a chance with them; they almost certainly won't be set up, and you may or may not find them acceptable starter instruments.

Good Luck!
    Thanks!! I saw those Savannah out there... I'll keep away

what do you think of this:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gold-Tone-GM-...4aedb05&_uhb=1

I would stay away from that Gold Tone as well. Here is a short lesson on how to read instrument descriptions. The two words you want to see is solid and carved. Those adjectives are so important that instrument makers hardly ever miss a opportunity to use them if they can. If you dont see solid and carved it probably isnt. For example the Gold Tone description says "solid spruce top". Does not say carved so probably pressed into shape. Description further says " maple back and sides". No carved or even solid so back and sides are likely laminate which is to be avoided. As you were advised previously in your budget the Kentucky KM 150 is the least ecpensive all solid and all carved mandolin out there. 300 bucks gets you one with a case and get up if you get it ftom onr of the Cafe' sponsors. A deal that cannot be beat. You and your teacher will be happy.

A bowlback in your price range is difficult. Although you find many early 20th century American ones in that price range they usually require at least some repair having been lightly built in the first place.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

thanks Don!
    yes I look for bowlbacks.. I think that for now I'll see for a flat back and if things go well maybe one day I'll upgrade

so stick to Kentucky, Loar....

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    thanks Don!
    yes I look for bowlbacks.. I think that for now I'll see for a flat back and if things go well maybe one day I'll upgrade

so stick to Kentucky, Loar....
    Josie,

With your musical tastes, Alan's suggestion of the oval-hole Kentucky km-170 is probably your best bet for a "new" mandolin in your price range that is a good instrument. Used opens up many more choices.

Bon Chance a votre voyage!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel