Thread: Suggestions on a good intermediate mandolin?

Default Suggestions on a good intermediate mandolin?

I have played the mandolin for a few years now and would like to get something nicer than my A style epiphone M-20. I live around Nashville so you would think that I could find a music store with a good selection of mandolins but I haven't been able to find one that carries more than 3 or 4 decent intermediate ones ($500-$800 range) I know I could get more mandolin for my money with an A style but I would like to get an F. I've played the Loar LM-600 and it sounded great but the neck feels a little thick to me and I don't like the fretboard extension. I seem to hit it with my pick. Played a Kentucky KM-650 that felt great but didn't have as nice of a ring to it. Any suggestions?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Suggestions on a good intermediate mandolin?

You have to keep looking until you find the one you like. Keep an eye open for a good quality used model in the classifieds. Mandolin players often sell as they move up in models. As you may sell your Epiphone at some point. Be patient in you search. It will be worth the wait. A's and F's are both desirable and yes the A's have less hand work so are less expensive for a higher quality model. I'll admit to liking both. Keep you eyes open for an Eastman model mandolin also. They are in the class you are looking at. Nashville is often where folks go to buy multiple thousand dollar priced instruments. Pawn Shops in Nashville can turn up some interesting instruments. Just sayin. Good luck in you search. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Mike.......go check out The Mandolin Store website (see link on right side of the Cafe web page)..........Dennis sells an Eastman F style mando for $699.00. Eastman makes a nice mando. I've purchased a couple of mandos from Dennis at TMS & have been very pleased with the results.
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

I own a Loar 520-vs and I ####ing love it. I've been playing guitar for well over a decade. I only play higher quality guitars (Gibsons, Ibanez Prestige, Framus etc...). The loar fits in perfectly, it feels like it is of the same tier.

5. The following members say thank you to SpencerMando for this post:

Since you live near Nashville, you are one of the lucky ones who can find music stores and play lots of mandolins. Many people have to research reviews and buy instruments without playing them first.

Find a good Eastman or Kentucky mandolin in your budget and you will be a happy picker.
    2012 Gibson F5 Custom Goldrush (Harvey)
    2014 Rover RM-75 F
    bowlback mandolin (1890's to 1900 era)

Eastman md315 . Great sounding great playing F at a great price...699.00

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Eastman md315 . Great sounding great playing F at a great price...699.00
    +1 on the Eastman 315. It's a really good playing and good sounding mandolin for a very reasonable price.

Blog Entries

I don't think of $500-800 is midrange. I think it's kind of the muddle of no where. In the lower than $500 range, you can find nice mandolins that are inexpensive and poorly built but sound good if well set up. Over $1000, you can find lots of used mandolins that are really well built but a little used and worn, and over $2000 you can start getting some really good stuff.

But to my mind, the $500 to $800 is a big waste of money for a new instrument. You're not going to get an instrument very much better than the under $500 range. But you're going to pay more. What you get is a mediocre instrument with little or no resale value, and $500 to $800 that's gone forever. For an instrument that won't be even close to your final stop. Once the new wears off, you're going to be right back in the same situation, only poorer.

My advice is either spend more money ($1500 will get you a VERY nice, fine quality used mandolin and even some new ones) or keep what you have, enjoy it, and save your money until you can buy something worth the money.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

To me mid range is more like $1500.00 to $2K....am I wrong?

I second the advice on the Eastman 315. Eastman's also have a slimmer neck which you may like. Mandolin store has 18 in stock. I am sure there is a keeper in the bunch.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

"Intermediate" is such a subjective word. One person's "intermediate" is another's "top tier" or "lower tier," depending on a variety of factors.

What we have here is "intermediate" defined by the OP as being an F-style between $500-800. To the OP (me included) that's a reasonable subjective definition for an amateur enthusiast. So, terminology notwithstanding, the question becomes, "What's a good $500-800 F-style mandolin that fits the OP's playing criteria (whatever they may be)?"

On a quick look through the Classifieds there are several The Loar models both new and used, an Eastman and couple Kentuckys, a Morgan Monroe and a couple others. To the mandolin critic/purist none of these may be classics which will endure for a hundred years, nor are they in the 4-digit price range, and that doesn't matter. Also, other folk's definition of "intermediate" doesn't matter as that's not the real question which started this thread.

So, of the bunch I lean to The Loar - the 500, 520 and 600. The price point is good. Depending on preferences regarding the finish, other cosmetics, radiused or flat fretboard, etc. there are choices. Any one of the three should do the trick, based on the OP's leanings. Both new and used are out there, with the new offering guarantees, cases, set-up and such. I must admit not being a fan of buying used without considerable examination, and the price delta between new and used at this range is not that far apart to make "going new" prohibitive.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

I thought from the descriptions the Eastman 315 is a beginner "F" style mandolin, not an intermediate. I am hoping in the next 6 months to upgrade from my Kentucky 160 and thought $500-$800 seemed reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmomma View Post
    I thought from the descriptions the Eastman 315 is a beginner "F" style mandolin, not an intermediate. I am hoping in the next 6 months to upgrade from my Kentucky 160 and thought $500-$800 seemed reasonable.
    "Beginner" F-model is probably the Rover RM-75, right around $400. Eastman MD-315 is closer to $700.

"Beginner," "intermediate," etc. are subjective terms. My "beginner" mandolin was a 'teens Gibson A-1, because that's the one I found in my grandfather's attic and learned on. Many of us sorta judge beginner vs. intermediate by price -- $700 is substantially more than $400, so the $700 Eastman must be "intermediate."

It's true that the gradations of quality between $500 and $800 are pretty subtle, and often subjective: this one "feels" or "sounds" better, but sound and feeling preferences are individual and subject to disagreement. Get into four figures, and differences seem a bit clearer, but I wouldn't dismiss the $5-800 range as tarted-up cheapos, or as hopelessly inferior to mandolins costing maybe $3-400 more.

For the price range specified, the buyer should be able to get an all-solid-wood, hand-carved F-model mandolin with decent work-person-ship. Will the buyer like the neck size, finish color, mid-range "chop?" Depends on the mandolin, and the buyer.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

This has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone for responding. I am going to try to find an Eastman to check out, as they seem to be highly recommended.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss the $5-800 range as tarted-up cheapos, or as hopelessly inferior to mandolins costing maybe $3-400 more.
    I don't completely disagree with you, but I was trying to express something I'm not sure I'm capable of putting into intelligible words.

It's something like this: for $300 to $500 you will get a (new) mandolin that sounds reasonably decent, but won't have the workmanship (and therefore longevity) of a $1500-2000 mandolin. For $600-900, you're going to get a better mandolin, no question--but will it be all that much better? Not really ... it seems to me that the $600-900 mando is just not going to be a big enough quantum leap out of mediocrity to justify the additional cost.* It's going to just be a way station on the way to that $1500 to $2000 mandolin. Which means (to me) that it's not worth the money--it's better to save up and just take the quantum leap rather than throw away another several hundred dollars on a temporary stopgap.

And ... I continue to be amazed at people who won't buy used. I guess it's good in terms of evolutionary mandology. It reduces competition at Elderly and similar stores for those of us who have seen the light.

_______
    *Even though I know that the first $300 is a "sunk cost" by the time you get to the second ($600-900) mandolin, the fact is that to get to the point where you're ready to move beyond the second mandolin, you will have spent $300-500 plus $600 to 900 ... which equals the cost of a good quality new or a very good quality used mandolin. And don't forget that there are all the other costs associated with trading up to a new mandolin: set up, new strings, new tuner, new case, new car, new dog, new spouse ...
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Totally into used mandolins. I don't care if it looks like it was used in a fight. I just want something that sounds like The Loar LM 600 but feels like a Kentucky. I played a Breedlove and it was amazing. Played an Eastman David Grisman Edition and it was beyond description.

Basically I agree with belbein. I think that anything you buy in the $500 to $800 range, you will outgrow quickly. Better to save a bit more and get something better. For me it was a Collings MT, not cheap but certainly not as expensive as you can go (the MT2 added at least another $1000, as did some of the nicer new Webers). Used is probably a good way to go for an MT or equivalent to bring the cost down. Usually a few in the Classifieds here.

Having said that, I recently discovered a Washburn F-style in both Sam Ash and GC that was pretty good sounding, at the upper end of your range. All solid woods as well. I was surprised, at both the sound and the look. Not sure it will stay in tune so well; it didn't for just the few minutes I played it, but I can have that problem with the MT as well.

I think you can get a good sounding very playable mandolin in your price range so don't be discouraged by some of the "why don't you spend $1500-$2000" comments.

I play ( and gig a lot on) a Loar 520 vs. I was at a bluegrass jam a few nights ago where it compared pretty favorably to some much more expensive instruments. I personally like the big chunky neck and also the barky chops and fairly aggressive bluegrass tone on the 520. I played some Eastmans and Kentuckys before buying, and while they were clearly nice instruments, the necks felt too thin in my hands and the tones tended to be a bit more subdued. I think that with any of those three brands you should have no problem finding an F style in your price range that feels and sounds great to you.
    Last edited by Mandorich; Jan-25-2014 at 12:59pm. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    I think that anything you buy in the $500 to $800 range, you will outgrow quickly.
    Unless, of course, you're into the flattop sound. (I really love it, but YMMV.) It's been 15 years or more, I haven't outgrown any of mine, and can't even imagine it.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    Basically I agree with belbein. I think that anything you buy in the $500 to $800 range, you will outgrow quickly. Better to save a bit more and get something better.
    At my age (67) I'm not going to wait and save for a better anything. Get it now, enjoy it for what it's worth, and if I live long enough to outgrow it, then that's a good problem to have. For me time today has more value as it's a fast diminishing resource to be put to its fullest use, including actually playing music with an instrument today rather than someday in the future.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

As a new mando from a dealer will drop a couple hundred dollars in value the moment you leave the dealers door I think purchasing a used instrument is a pretty good idea. However if at all possible buy used with the option to return it is you find it has major flaws or undisclosed damage.

The fact that you have experience with mandolin will make your purchase less a gamble because you will know what questions to ask the seller and what problems to look for...

I would think that being in or near Nashville would be a great place to be looking both in stores and in the want ads. There must be an abundance of fine instruments in the area. And of course the fact that you can actually play the instrument will be a great advantage.
    Bart McNeil

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Depending on the type of music you play and your musical goals, a new Eastman MD305 or F model Kentucky can both be had in your range. If you've got long term aspirations, you like to play bluegrass, and you don't mind A models; I would jump on this one.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72916
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel