Thread: The Loar is buzzing!

Question The Loar is buzzing!

Hey guys!

I just got my loar in and i love it. Its a 520. It sounds incredible compared to my Gretsch new yorker. I'm having a little issue. When I play the 4th or 5th frets of the low G string, I hear a very faint (yet apparent) buzz. I have taken the tailpiece cover off to check if something was hitting it, alas the buzz also occurs when the tailpiece is off. I'm totally confused, I love the mandolin and I really don't want to have to send it back. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Default Re: The Loar is buzzing!

Just a guess - It may not be hitting the tailpiece cover, but is it hitting the tailpiece base? A littlle piece of felt, very thin cloth or similar under the strings just where they exit the tailpiece might solve the problem.

Second thought - do any of the frets "south" of the 5th look high? As you are holding down that string on the 4th and 5th, can you detect any contact on another fret?

Have a 520 also, but haven't had that issue. It's a sweet thing!
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Buzz can have many causes, and the place where you hear it isn't necessarily where it comes from, because the buzz is amplified by the soundbox, so always sounds like it's coming from there. If it's only happening on certain frets, it could be that you have a high fret just ahead of them. Check the level of your frets by sighting down the length of the fingerboard from the tailpiece and see if any are a little higher than the others. You can also check for an elevated fret by placing short straight edge or credit card across three frets and seeing if it rocks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

ALright, I checked the fret levelling. It isn't level on the 4th fret (right where the buzzing happens). #### this, I'm sending it back tomorrow. This is my fourth mandolin in 4 weeks that I have been displeased with. I can't seem to find a 5-600$ one that isn't absolute ####. Perhaps my decades of guitar experience has spoilt me in terms of instrument quality. A local music store had a nice ortega that Felt really good. I might look into that one.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Perhaps you should purchase from a Mandolin Cafe sponsor which includes a complete set-up with the purchase. The Loar 520VS can be found at The Mandolin Store for $549 here http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9261. Folk Musician has it for $549.95 here http://www.folkmusician.com/The-Loar-LM-520-Mandolin. Elderly has it for $499 here http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...n--LM520VS.htm. All include setup. I'd check on the difference in cases.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

7. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMando View Post
    ALright, I checked the fret levelling. It isn't level on the 4th fret (right where the buzzing happens). #### this, I'm sending it back tomorrow. This is my fourth mandolin in 4 weeks that I have been displeased with. I can't seem to find a 5-600$ one that isn't absolute ####. Perhaps my decades of guitar experience has spoilt me in terms of instrument quality. A local music store had a nice ortega that Felt really good. I might look into that one.
    A high fret ≠ "absolute-whatever-you-want-###-to stand for." It's a pain, sure, but not a huge task to fix, either by tapping it down until it's fully seated, or filing the crown down a bit.

And check the specs on that Ortega; the Loar 520 is all-solid-wood, hand-carved, and can be purchased for under $600. The Ortega RMF90TS has a solid top only -- otherwise plywood -- makes no mention of carving, by hand or machine, so we can infer the top's heat-pressed -- and has a manufacturer's list price of $759. Don't know what model Ortega your music store has, but solid woods and hand-carving to a long way toward quality, even on a mandolin with a high fret.

Mandolins are notoriously more finicky than guitars, and I don't know if you're buying from an outfit like the Mandolin Store, Folkmusician.com, Elderly Instruments, or another on-line or mail-order seller who takes some pains to do a good dealer set-up. (Reference post above.) Doubt they'd send out a mandolin with a high fret, but anyone can make an oversight or mistake, and these good sellers will make an effort to set things right.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I'm sorry, my post came off as really dickish in hindsight. I have (knock on wood) never had a problem with my guitars so having such a high density of problems in a short time just puts me off of it. As for the ortega I checked their site, Spruce top and Maple back (no mention of sides so I assume they are indeed plywood). I'd be getting it for 100€ off because I know the seller. The seller is a local violinmaker that set the thing up pretty nice. Its probably not as good but I like having the option to take this thing back to our family friend (the violin guy) and having him check it out/fix it.

Thanks for everything

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Don't know where you got the 520, but every mandolin out there needs a proper set-up regardless of price, maker or store. It's just the way it is. The tough part is finding someone capable of doing the set-up correctly. If the geigenmacher can set-up the Ortega and you have confidence in him and the instrument, then all's well....

So, when do you get the Ortega? Would be interested to hear how that works out.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMando View Post
    As for the ortega I checked their site, Spruce top and Maple back (no mention of sides so I assume they are indeed plywood).
    "Spruce top" and "Maple back" do not necessarily mean solid wood. Usually, manufacturers will include the term "solid" as a selling point which is conspicuous by its absence.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5