Thread: Dang it! I broke my nut!

Default Dang it! I broke my nut!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken nut.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	112987

Like a fool, I let my Duff slide off my lap onto the floor. The only damage seems to be the nut, which is cleanly broken. I have the piece, should I re-glue it or replace the whole nut? If it's OK to re-glue it, what glue would you use? It broke cleanly at one of the A string slots, and seems to be pearl.

RW
    Last edited by randygwatkins; Jan-23-2014 at 2:42pm.

Default Re: Dang it! I broke my nut!

I am no luthier, but I have a feeling that the whole nut should be replaced. I can't imagine that a nut with a faultline under the A string would be any good.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I agree... Stumac sells nut blanks... Having a couple is a good idea. You can use an old plastic comb as a nut blank if you want or lots of other materials might work as well. But actual nut blanks are available. See frets.com for info on shaping them. Tedius but not difficult.
    Bart McNeil

Yours looks like that is a pearl nut. StewMac has them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mother of pearl glues very well with thin CA, but it is difficult to keep it from running where you don't want it.
    John

You could take it off, glue it back together with a drop of super glue (if it's not chipped too badly), and set it back in the slot. I wouldn't expect it to play just right or stay together very long, but it might and it will get you by until you can get another one made. Especially if it's your only mandolin. Don't glue it together in the slot.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Blog Entries

Why not glue it together in the slot? And why thin CA? I would have thought that a little touch of the thick gel stuff, in the joint where the two broken pieces come together, would do the trick for now. I see that unstringing and re-engineering the nut is the right way to go, but if it's a question of a quick and dirty fix, why wouldn't the in-the-slot-with-gel thing work?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Thin CA works well because MOP is made by depositing layers of the shell material. The glue can wick into any little gaps which formed at the time of impact, or any that were already there. From the Wikipedia article on "Nacre"...

Name:	Nacre_microscopic_structure.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	113018

Based on the title of the thread, Pete Jenner should show up with a witty remark any minute now... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    ...why wouldn't the in-the-slot-with-gel thing work?
    Because it would get CA in the slot, and later, when someone has to remove the nut and replace it, they will have to clean the CA out of the nut slot, and quite possibly clean out pieces of the broken nut that are still glued in the slot after removing it. It also could damage the finish of the peghead.

Blog Entries

Double post.
    Last edited by Pete Jenner; Jan-24-2014 at 12:29am.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post

Based on the title of the thread, Pete Jenner should show up with a witty remark any minute now... :-)
    I tend to steer clear of double entendre threads lest I be banned Marty.

From the Wikipedia article on "Double entendre".

Name:	Let_alone2.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	113022

Now I'll crawl back into my 'shell'.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

You can buy bone nut blanks on eB*y for under fifteen dollars for three or four, shipping included. Why horse around with trying to glue up a busted nut? If you're on a budget, buy the bone blanks and make a new nut. If you're flush with cash, pay a good mandolin shop to replace the nut with a good one and let them set it up. There's no sense in anything in between.

This is just one man's opinion... :-)

Rob

I would definitely replace the whole thing. It will be too weak if it's just glued.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Blog Entries

Yeah ... I wasn't suggesting it as a permanent fix. I might try it just until it was time to change the strings. John makes a good point, though, as always ... I always forget that CA runs to exactly the place you don't want it to go.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem