Thread: Phila. Classical Mandolin Ensembles Perfrom Joint Concert Feb. 1

Default Phila. Classical Mandolin Ensembles Perfrom Joint Concert Feb. 1

The Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble and Munier Orchestra will be performing a joint concert on Feb. 1 to mark the launch of the Philadelphia Mandolin Society, a non-profit organization devoted to promoting all genres of mandolin music and performance throughout Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley. The concert will be held Feb. 1, at 8:00 PM, at St. George's Episcopal Church in Ardmore PA (1 Ardmore Ave., Ardmore PA 19003).

The the classical portion of the program includes Beethoven's Adagio Ma Non Troppo (originally written for solo mandolin and keyboard and transcribed for mandolin orchestra), the 1st movement of Vivaldi's Concerto for Stings in D Major (RV 121), Eileen Pakenham's Echoes, and Brahms' Hungarian Dances (featuring violin soloist Bridget Kasinskas).

Admission is $15 for adults, $5 for children 6-12, and free for children 5 and under.

Here is a clip of the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble performing Beethoven's Adagio Ma Non Troppo.

2. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post:

Default Re: Phila. Classical Mandolin Ensembles Perfrom Joint Concert Feb

Hello Mlinkins,

Thanks for posting this. I am glad to hear about the launch of this society. I will do my best to make it to the concert.

Best wishes, Bob

Traveling Tracks Traveling Tracks's Avatar

See you there!
    Collings MF

This was a great concert in a beautiful venue. Congratulations to all involved, and thanks for the wonderful performance. I see great things ahead as the Philadelphia Mandolin Society develops.

6. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

One more comment about the concert. It really drew a large audience. I was pleased to see how many people turned out to hear these two mandolin groups perform together and separately. The last time I heard the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble perform they also drew a large audience, but that was in a park which may have a built-in audience. All the people in last night's audience were there specifically for the performance. How encouraging for the musicians! This concert was a lot of fun!

8. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    One more comment about the concert. It really drew a large audience. I was pleased to see how many people turned out to hear these two mandolin groups perform together and separately.
    Thanks so much, Bob, for attending and for your posts!! You are right...It was very encouraging to see the turn-out. I know that a number of people in the audience mentioned that there interest in this concert was sparked by the fact that they've just recently been turned on to the recent projects by Avital and Thile. I think the increased attention that classical mandolin has been getting from music reviewers, NPR interviews, etc., is starting to "trickle down" and generate increased awareness/interest at the "local level."

A few video clips from the concert... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgaDh...re=c4-overview

And another...

Last edited by mlinkins; Feb-03-2014 at 1:01am.