Thread: so, holding an A style makes me think i have a greased marble

Default so, holding an A style makes me think i have a greased marble

in my lap

honestly, there is a huge difference in how a F style seems to just sit there "classical style" with the points kinda balancing the whole act, and the new lady in the family just rolls all over the place.

I'm just a total beginner, taking the online artistworks classes and I love how Mike Marshall teaches, and the way he shows to hold the mandolin sitting suits me fine-I doubt i'll every stand to play-don't stand for any other instrument. so whats the secret with the A style, sitting, and playing-already know I must absolutely get a strap, that would help a huge bunch I'm sure..............and speaking of straps..............

I have an endpin, now whats the best place/way to attach to the A style(tie in front of the nut?) other suggestions?

and suggestions for a strap that fits good and supports well.

the A is a whole different world isn't it

d

Default Re: so, holding an A style makes me think i have a greased marble

Hi Daryl, sorry I don't know the secret because I've always done it, I've been playing A style for 40 years, always sitting and no strap.

Your strap options are a strap button added on the heal or thread a cord behind the nut.
    Last edited by trevor; Jan-24-2014 at 4:04am.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Definitely use a strap even sitting down.It totally removes any possibility of the mandolin sliding off your lap.The best way to use one on an "A" style is this method,which seems to have become widely used. The strap fastens to the strap button at the tailpiece end,the other end has a cord which will loop around & fasten under the fingerboard extension,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collings - strap under fingerboard.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	388.2 KB 
ID:	113033

Name:	Planet Waves Mando.strap.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	113034
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You mention the Mike Marshall videos. He explains the secret right there, but it takes a lot of practice to master it. The mandolin should be held in place by the top of your thigh where it's sitting, the underarm of your picking arm, and part of your rib cage as you slightly lean over (this last part can be partly replaced by the use of a strap). It takes a long time to work out exactly which position works for you, but in the end you should be able to sit quite comfortably with your mandolin and not use the picking hand at all to hold the neck.

But I'm sure you are right in saying that a mandolin with points offers more points of resistance and perhaps stays put more easily.

I'm a mando-dummy, as I got a cheap A-style right one year ago (Santa gave me one fot Xmas 2012). I guess the only way - as I do - is to use a strap. But let me say a couple of things: firstly, it's very difficult to play without placing the mando back at close contact with my belly (not THAT a big bulge, though I'd like to reduce my weight just a little bit...): this mutes the sound of the instrument. Secondly, I attached the strap not behind the nut, as this disturbed my left wrist. So I place it behind the 2nd and 3rd couple of tuners. That idea to place the cord around the edge of the body, under the fingerboard extension, seems a very good score. I'll have a try.

Blog Entries

I just hold it up so I'm comfortable and not couched over, so it's not in my lap to begin with.
    For me it sits just on and below the right chest angled out at about 35-40deg so the left arm is allowed to fall by my side without having to hold it back. Many people like to hold it across the front, but I found that meant I had to hold the left arm back to get it out of the way which was introducing tension.
    I don't rely on the strap anymore, as the little weight of the mandolin is held in place by the relaxed weight of the right forearm resting over the end of the mandolin around the tail-piece.
    Definitely use a strap until you're confident without one and I still keep the habit of having one over my shoulder so it's there just in case. But most of the time it's just lying slack.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

A Toneguard makes an "A" model easier to hold. Trapping a mandolin with youy arm is an acquired skill. But a strap is really the easiest answer. I personally don't like one on the headstock so I add an screw base end pin in the neck block. There is plenty of wood there to support it without damage to the mandolin. Granted if I owned a Lloyd Loar period Gibson I wouldn't put an end pin in it. But otherwise it really isn't an issue. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Something I learned from playing bowlback. Put a piece of this on your lap. It holds the mandolin secure and its much easier to play.

It comes in many colors so you can look coordinated.

It really really works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpU17mD5AM.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	113045  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

thanks for all the excellent info folks.
    found my daughters old braided strap and did a temporary mount with a tie in front of the nut. works wonderfully! actually like the strap method so much I would now use it even if it didn't seem like the mando was misbehaving.

i'll retry the strap today around the fretboard extension to see how that works also.

now to find the right thin strap. looking at one of the Dudenbostel braided straps-looks small and right for the job.

d

Yes, it is somewhat frustrating playing the A but you will get used to it. I a am newbe here too , played classical guitar for a long time before going to mandolin. The more I play the more natural it gets, I tried a strap and it did help some at first, then it got bothersome. to each their own though. BTW, A REALLY nice strap can be braided from 3- 72" long boot laces for less than $5.00!
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

It is just a matter of a little self discepline. It seems awkward now but you will get used to it, with or without strap. I seldom use a strap standing or seated. But obviously a strap can be a convenience and a safety factor while standing.
    Bart McNeil

+1 for attachment to the headstock. I've tried all the variations and like this the best. I'm even planning to change to that with my F style, even though the accepted thing is to use the scroll. It just seems to balance better and when I have the strap sitting just right on my shoulder it seems to make my left hand work better somehow.
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

Daryl - If you do a search on the I/net for mandolin straps,you'll find all sorts of different types (& prices). The straps made by Lakota Leathers are very popular. Also,look at the straps from Bill Bailey,made from beautifully braided leather,
    Ivan

Name:	Bailey mandolin strap.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	113118
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Well, with an F, there's also that massive headstock on a stick that makes it a bit unbalanced towards the nut, hence the points serve to keep the neck up. A short-neck snakehead A is often balanced enough not to need the points in many cases. Both have their merits, really.

--Tom

In terms of holding, it's the F-style that I'd find daunting, precisely because of the points. They kind of force you, when sitting, to hold it just one way - a way that I'd find uncomfortable.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I started with an A style and used a strap above the nut. I found my back often hurt after playing and that the A style was unwieldy. I have an F style now, and almost always play without a strap. I don't think I'd ever buy another A style just to avoid the possibility of these difficulties, personally. Okay, well maybe an old Gibson A.
    Gibson F4 (1921)
    Eastman MD515 (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Something I learned from playing bowlback. Put a piece of this on your lap. It holds the mandolin secure and its much easier to play.

It comes in many colors so you can look coordinated.

It really really works.
    What is it?
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

Taylor Swift lover/fan Cue Zephyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Definitely use a strap even sitting down.It totally removes any possibility of the mandolin sliding off your lap.The best way to use one on an "A" style is this method,which seems to have become widely used. The strap fastens to the strap button at the tailpiece end,the other end has a cord which will loop around & fasten under the fingerboard extension,
    When I just got my mandolin, the shop owner fastened it to the headstock. About one or two string changes down the road I decided to wrap it under the fingerboard extension - this is where it's been for a while and I thin it's the best way to use a strap on an "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Sumner View Post
    What is it?
    The stuff Jeff posted pictures of is that grippy shelf liner material. I don't use it (or a strap); I hold the instrument more in the crook of my right arm (with the forearm crossing at or just above the tailpiece) to stabilize it, which works for me while standing as well as sitting.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Sumner View Post
    What is it?
    Its that rubbery stuff you put on the shelf to put your dishes on, I don't know what it is called.

http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Shelf-Dra.../dp/B000KFSOFI

It comes in rolls, which you can cut to any size, or in single mats. It finds use also as jar openers, and for wrapping whisky bottles to take camping.

It works amazingly well. Its one of those things in life that just works, does what its supposed to do, over and over again. Like the cast iron skillet, or the inter-office routing envelope.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....