Thread: Damage from bridge pressure

Default Damage from bridge pressure

Hi all. I'm working on repairing an inexpensive instrument. This is my first ever undertaking, and I came into knowing the likelihood of ending up with a playable instrument was low.

That said, I'm giving it my best. I'd greatly appreciate advice on any best practices for a top that has been damaged by pressure from the bridge. The bridge that came on the instrument is a one-piece/flat top, but I'm curious if there's any reason to purchase a two-piece replacement and just sand down the bottom to fit my instrument? Might that help better-distribute pressure? Should I add bracing internally? There is no apparent damage from the bridge on the inside, for what it's worth. (And I have the back off so I can see it well -- there are lots of cracks I've been repairing but no apparent buckling where the bridge was). Is this sort of "damage" just run-of-the-mill and not actually problematic?

Here are a few pictures to show what I'm referring to. Any thoughts would be tremendously appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (8).jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	113219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (9).jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	113220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (10).JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	113221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (12).jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	113222

Blog Entries

Default Re: Damage from bridge pressure

<Self Censored>
    Last edited by Pete Jenner; Jan-26-2014 at 12:27pm. Reason: Borderline breach of guidelines.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Ha, interesting question. Just my initials and some random numbers actually. Apologies for any confusion.

Blog Entries

Oh ...thanks.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Now Peter, you're really out there, I love it!
    Isn't it the latest Microsoft update notation?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Sorry Pete, but that was one of the most appalling answers to a serious question I have ever read on the Cafe. If I was the OP my response might not have been so kind.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Thank you, Larry - I'm relatively new here and was wondering if I was missing something or not posting properly and am now trying to figure out if it's possible to change my username.

Blog Entries

No offence intended.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

None taken (at least by me). I have been reading a bit more and it seems that the "damage" isn't harmful, but I'd still really appreciate any thoughts on the best kind of bridge to use, if anyone might be willing to chime in.

A bridge is a bridge. All bridges have to be fitted to the mando unless the mando is a flat top, but most mandos have imperfections in the flattess or curvature of the top... Frets.com has good information on bridge fitting, either one piece or adjustable. Good reading and solid information. The slight indentation from bridge pressure appears normal to me. but with the back off it should be easy to reinforce the top under the bridge if you think it is necessary.

Were it me doing this I would probably go for a non-adjustable bridge carefully fitted to the mando. If your work is done well it is all you need and you can raise or lower it later by using shims or sanding it.. A bit of a nuissance but not difficult at all.

There is little reason why you can't end up with a playable instrument. These cheap ones are great fun to restore and you can learn a lot by doing what you are doing... Good luck with it. Keep us informed.
    Bart McNeil

11. The following members say thank you to bmac for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MS45789 View Post
    Thank you, Larry - I'm relatively new here and was wondering if I was missing something or not posting properly and am now trying to figure out if it's possible to change my username.
    If you wish to change your user name to your REAL name you can make a request in THIS THREAD and Scott Tichenor (the site owner) will take care of it for you.
    If you want to change your user name to something other than your real name I suspect you are out of luck, but you can always contact Scott with that request as well.
    Bill Snyder

Sorry, but all I'm seeing in the pix is a shadow where the bridge was located, but no indentations. Does the top actually have depressed areas where the bridge was? If this is the case, then you can try to swell the wood with some steam to see if that gets rid of them. If not, then I would do a bit more sanding to try and remove the spots. As far as a new bridge, I would recommend a standard replacement mando bridge like the one StewMac carries - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...in_Bridge.html
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

My apologies for the pictures, I was unable to get a shot that really shows it, but the top sort of buckles downward toward that discolored spot. Thank you for the suggestions.