Thread: Primal Scream - Country Girl

Blog Entries

Default Primal Scream - Country Girl

Hello,
    does anybody know what chords with the mandolin are played in this song from minute 2:28 to 2.52?

It sounds really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWjm_W-4Ml8

Greets
    Uko

Default Re: Primal Scream - Country Girl

Hello Uko,

Don't know where you are but the video doesn't play in the U.S. I found another Primal Scream Country Girl on youtube with mandolin that does play here. I found several that don't have a mandolin and are also in a different key.

The version with mandolin I found has these chords. Four measures of F, two measures of B, two measures of F, one measure of C, one measure of B and ending with two measures of F.

F F F F

B B F F

C B F F

If you play the first position F chord (frets 5-3-0-1) and use your pinkie up and down on fret 5 of the E string, you can get the basic strum. Keeping in the first position F, but move your ring finger to the A string, will get you most of the B chord (frets X-3-5-0). Use a two-finger C, 0-2-3-0 and that final B is a 3-3-5-6. Or on the B you can just use three strings for a X-3-5-6.

Good luck!

3. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Uko 

I couldn't get the video to play either. Nor could I find one that had anything notable in that time period of the music.

ToyonPete, shouldn't that be Bb, not B? You had the fret positions correct (3-3-5-6), but I wouldn't want Uko to get confused thinking that's a B.

I haven't heard the chords in question for this tune, of course, but if it were me playing in this key, I'd probably play the C chord as 5-2-3-0, which makes it much easier to go to the Bb by playing it as 3-0-1-X (or 3-0-1-1 if you prefer). These chord shapes are also easier to transition to and from the 5-3-0-1 shape of the F chord. For me, anyway.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the correction Tobin! Sure enough it's a B flat.

The mandolin part is basically a four beat strum with notes added for flavor on the E string. So on the F chord he adds the A at the fifth fret. Strums four beats without the pinkie and then four with. On the C chord he throws in the F at the first fret on the E string. So I found shifting my middle finger down one fret frees my index to finger the F.

7. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Uko 

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot.