Thread: Sharon Gilchrist teaches April 9 - 13 at Julian music camp

Default Sharon Gilchrist teaches April 9 - 13 at Julian music camp

Sharon Gilchrist has signed on as the main mando instructor at this year's Julian Family Fiddle Camp. She'll be joined by Katie Glassman (National, Colorado & Texas fiddle champ), Chris Coole (champion old-time banjo player), Scott Law (flat-pick guitar wizard), and Gene Libbea (former bass player for the Nashville Bluegrass Band).

This camp is simply the best in S. Calif., and held at a beautiful family retreat center near Julian - a historic mining town in the foothills of San Diego, CA. Great instruction, great food, lovely area and very pleasant accommodations (RV's are welcome). Check out the info. on the website, and give me a call if you have ANY questions.

Avery Ellisman
    (760) 522-8458

Default Re: Sharon Gilchrist teaches April 9 - 13 at Julian music camp

spam?

Not if you want to study with Sharon Gilchrist!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I'd love to see some spam saying she's teaching in North Carolina!!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

5. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

I take lessons with her over Skype and I'm in North Carolina! Works out great. It would be great to have her travel/teach out on the East coast some time. She's a great teacher.

I'm going to Julian...

Should be fun Eddie.

I was listening to her playing on the Peter Rowan/ Tony Rice Quartet CD last night. Marvellous.
    I honestly think the sound she gets is about the best in the business. One of my favourite players.

In fact, could people please suggest what CDs I should listen to for more of her playing?
    David A. Gordon

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I know the guy who puts this on, Avery Ellisman. He's quite a fiddler and mandolinist, who also is a fixture in the Old Time Fiddle circles as a judge. He's a really good guy who puts on a great camp!

Eddie,
    Nina Weisman is teaching mando there as well.
    You'll enjoy it!

Nick
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Deleted by author
    We few, we happy few.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I was listening to her playing on the Peter Rowan/ Tony Rice Quartet CD last night. Marvellous.
    I honestly think the sound she gets is about the best in the business. One of my favourite players.

In fact, could people please suggest what CDs I should listen to for more of her playing?
    Dagger,

Here's a discography from Wikipedia...

Mary & Mars (w/Mary & Mars 2003)
    Live at the Blinking Light (w/Mary & Mars 2004)
    Raise A Ruckus (EP) (w/Uncle Earl 2004)
    Quartet (w/Peter Rowan, Tony Rice and Bryn Davies 2007)
    Santa Fe All-Stars (EP) (w/Joe West, Ben Wright and Susan Holmes 2008)

Hope this helps...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

She's not exactly been over-recorded, has she?

Thanks though.
    David A. Gordon

Anyone familiar with Julian camp? Are the roads and parking lot friendly to low-chassis sports cars? Or do I need to bring a 4x4?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Anyone familiar with Julian camp? Are the roads and parking lot friendly to low-chassis sports cars? Or do I need to bring a 4x4?
    Eddie,

I've been as far as Ramona which is fairly close to Julian (maybe 20-30 miles away)...a ride in a sports car would be fun!

It's a blast going up there in my Convertible Beamer...some parts of it remind me of driving thru Malibu Canyon...

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Yes, but if the parking lot is a field on an incline fed by dirt tracks I'd be in trouble... think Topanga last year...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Yes, but if the parking lot is a field on an incline fed by dirt tracks I'd be in trouble... think Topanga last year...
    Never been to Topanga, but I would ask Avery (The OP & Camp Director)...I'll probably see him Thursday eve at the local BG jam and will ask if you don't hear from him...

Nick

Hi Folks,

I'm the guy behind Sharon's visit to Julian and her teaching at this year's music camp in Julian. Apologies for not jumping in earlier, and thanks, Scott, for alerting me to the discussion! Here's the deal, amigos - Sharon's not only a great performer, she's a wonderful person and extremely focused and thoughtful instructor. Add this to a nice, rural Camp facility, good food (with Julian's famous desserts), some stellar evening concerts (followed by finger-bleeding jams) and small group classes, and you've a recipe for FUN. As for roads, they're fine, albeit the driveway from the main road to the Camp has a few avoidable potholes. If it hasn't rained much, the ball field where folks camp is pretty firm, but lots of water makes it muddy (April weather in Julian is fickle - we're at 4,500'). There are some light inclines to traverse to/from various classes/workshops, but nothing too strenuous and, for those with limited mobility and/or desire to ride, I cruise around in a transporter to make sure any/everyone gets where they want w/out stress.

Appreciate Nick's vote of confidence - THANKS AMIGO! Suggest folks with the slightest interest check out the website and, by all means, feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Avery Ellisman
    (760) 522-8458

19. The following members say thank you to swinginfish for this post:

Starting tomorrow... can't wait!

I was at a concert recently with John Reischman, Scott Nygaard and Sharon Gilchrist. Cd's were on sale but none for Sharon. A few days later Sharon was playing at a local restaurant with Jim Nunally and some others who all had cd's but none for Sharon. She's going to be back here in a couple of weeks with Tim Weed I just learned today. She is a terrific player and yes, very nice and I understand a good teacher. Like Arsenio Hall used to hold up a picture of Whitney Houston and say "My fiancee" I think of Sharon Gilchrist like that! She's about 40 with a 30 year professional career behind her but it doesn't seem she has managed to get her own cd out. She was a founding member of the Dixie Chicks but left the band before the money arrived. Good musical decision but not such a great financial one. Someone please record her!

22. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

I took a 3-day workshop with Sharon at last year's Walker Creek Music Camp. She is an excellent teacher as well as a great musician, and covered a TON of material in three half-day group lessons. She spent a lot of time on technique as well as theory, and she makes everything clear and really focuses on useful, practical ideas that you can use right away. I won't be a Julian - I'm returning to Walker Creek this weekend for three days with John Reischman. Can't wait - I took John's beginning class two years ago and it was also great. He's teaching the intermediate class this year.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

So if John is teaching the intermediate class who is teaching the advanced class? Burns back from the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    So if John is teaching the intermediate class who is teaching the advanced class? Burns back from the dead?
    LOL - officially it was called "Mandolin level 2/3 Bluegrass" - and it was an awesome three days. The elective workshop by John and Scott Nygaard on mandolin/guitar duet playing was amazing. John and Scott played many tunes during this all-too-short workshop, and discussed nuances of the performances after each song. They opened with Bury Me Beneath the Willow. In itself worth the price of admission.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."