Thread: Might be joining a jazz band

Well i have been straight bluegrass for a while. But lately i have been listening to alot of classical, and celtic style mandolin pickin. And Glauber sent me a disc with some jazz stuff and i really love it. Thanks buddy. Well i never noticed but i do alot of jazz style playing anyway. And there have been some chances lately of some jazz bands. So i might be with one soon. Just letting you all know of my status and whats going on. Now i am playing all kinds of mando and am loving it. But we all know bluegrass Rules!!! Well just letting you all know.

You da man!

Just remember the #1 rule of jazz: if you do it once, it's a mistake; if you do it twice, it's jazz!
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

The Dawg,,Roland White and Sam Bush all dig JAZZ.Roland told me it's all he listens to and Dawgs Fav is Coltrane.(He wanted to be a Sax player like him)

Rick

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yogi Berra explains jazz:

Interviewer: Can you explain jazz?
    Yogi: I can't, but I will. 90% of all jazz is half improvisation. The other half is the part people play while others are playing something they never played with anyone who played that part. So if you play the wrong part, it's right. If you play the right part, it might be right if you play it wrong enough. But if you play it too right, it's wrong.
    Interviewer: I don't understand.
    Yogi: Anyone who understands jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it.
    Interviewer: Do you understand it?
    Yogi: No. That's why I can explain it. If I understood it, I wouldn't know anything about it.
    Interviewer: Are there any great jazz players alive today?
    Yogi: No. All the great jazz players alive today are dead. Except for the ones that are still alive. But so many of them are dead, that the ones that are still alive are dying to be like the ones that are dead. Some would kill for it.
    Interviewer: What is syncopation?
    Yogi: That's when the note that you should hear now happens either before or after you hear it. In jazz, you don't hear notes when they happen because that would be some other type of music. Other types of music can be jazz, but only if they're the same as something different from those other kinds.
    Interviewer: Now I really don't understand.
    Yogi: I haven't taught you enough for you to not understand jazz that well.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Well i really like jazz style of playing so im gonna go for it. #It sounds like great fun but until then im gonna just pick some stuff solo. Its gonna be a little difficult being in a Gospel bluegrass band also. But are gigs are limited there so it will be alright.

Buy the way mandohack Great Site. Love it.