Thread: Neck Re-shaping

Default Neck Re-shaping

Hi,

Is it possible to have a neck re-shaped? The instrument already has the finish off the neck (violin shaped) and I would prefer more of a v.

Default Re: Neck Re-shaping

Its not too hard if your comfortable with rasps and or scrapers. Be careful of going too far and finding the trussrod if it has one. Doing a V neck should be ok if you leave the thickness in the center where it is.

I agree with David and suggest that most of the material you will remove will be off the sides to reduce the girth of the neck.

It's not too hard to take wood off, it's hard to add wood!
    In other words, the neck has to be big enough to reshape, and if you go too far, well, you can't put those shavings back on.

It's a little hard to go from a C neck to a V, because you might not have enough meat down the center. If you happy with the neck's depth (top of fingerboard to back of the neck), then there's no reason you couldn't shave the sides to give it a more V like shape. You will have to file, sand and re-finish of course.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Might build a pattern off current neck, then make one for new neck. Use same procedure as violin neck shaping, should be discussed online somewhere.
    Stephen Perry

Blog Entries

Pfox14 is correct, if you do the work don't get in a hurry. I scooped my extension once and wasn't paying attention and well didn't account for the lower spike from the pick guard so now I have a little ebony line to get filled! No big deal to me the mandolin is a 1937 F-7 conversion that has very much wear everywhere on her so it doesn't bother me at all. Sure don't hurt the overall sound of the mandolin!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I've done this on two different >$7K mandos (with nothing more than a sandpaper block and other fine sandpapers ) and was very happy with the results in both. Just have to go slow, pay attention, and stay away from the midline truss channel.
    I used a little wiped on Tru Oil for final finishing.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”