Thread: Martin R-18 Neck (limited mandolin content)

Default Martin R-18 Neck (limited mandolin content)

So folks here's the deal. My son bought a very abused 1934 Martin R-18 arch top guitar. I say limited mandolin content because I would love to turn this into an octave mando but he wants a guitar, ha,ha,ha... It had the neck jack-knifed like someone sat on it, the neck block split on one side of the dove-tail and they proceeded to pour a bottle of Elmer's glue into the gaping void, hoping they could pull the neck back into position or something. They then cut a large rectangle into the shoulder next to the broken block. Amazingly enough everything else on the instrument is tight and solid. Binding, back, the other side most of the top and the neck. The neck is actually beautiful and it's dovetail cleaned up really nice with vinegar and corn starch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Martin Neck.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	113891

I will return with more photos, (if you'll have me) and other questions as the restoration progresses, but today I wanted to ask, the neck has a very slight twist, I suspect it is mostly in the fingerboard extension which had so much pressure on it it punched a rectangle out of the front of the top. Is there a way with heat and pressure to correct this?? I must tell you I have found more applicable guitar restoration tips here at the mandolin cafe then on guitar forums. Most of you guys work on vintage guitars as well.

I made a steaming needle with an old cappy machine and a meat tenderizing hypo needle, thanks to a tip here on the cafe. Worked like a charm, the neck was totally solid but the glue melted and the neck was off in less than a minute!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CappySteamer.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	113894
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Default Re: Martin R-18 Neck (limited mandolin content)

I suppose you guys probably already know there is not truss-rod but a core of ebony down the neck...

Default Re: Martin R-18 Neck (limited mandolin content)

It is definitely in the extension, it didn't get broken but it got tweaked a little. I think it's OK though. I'm jazzed my Son and I are working on it together, it's a cool project!