Thread: CF Martin mandola scale length

Default CF Martin mandola scale length

I believe martin used a 15.5" scale length on their mandolas, but I don't have access to one to confirm that. Does anyone know (for certain) what the scale length of a Martin mandola is?

Default Re: CF Martin mandola scale length

I know that pre-war Martin mandolas were 15.25" SL.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    I believe martin used a 15.5" scale length on their mandolas, but I don't have access to one to confirm that. Does anyone know (for certain) what the scale length of a Martin mandola is?
    I feel pretty certain you are right. I am actually picking tonight with a buddy who has one, and I'll try to remember to measure it. Any other specs you might want to check on?
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Quote Originally Posted by acousticphd View Post
    Any other specs you might want to check on?
    Not really, thanks. I just need to match the scale length of a customer's Martin 'dola, and I don't have one to measure. He measured from the nut to the 12th fret and came up with 7 3/4". It's not that I don't trust him, I just want to find corroborating evidence since I don't have one available to measure. The customer is a couple of states away, so it may be a while before we can get together and I can personally measure his frets.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Not really, thanks. I just need to match the scale length of a customer's Martin 'dola, and I don't have one to measure. He measured from the nut to the 12th fret and came up with 7 3/4". It's not that I don't trust him, I just want to find corroborating evidence since I don't have one available to measure. The customer is a couple of states away, so it may be a while before we can get together and I can personally measure his frets.
    I measured last night and come up with between 7-21/32" to 7-22/32" from the bearing edge of the nut to the center of the 12th. (A bit of uncertainty in the last 1/32 or so as I was using a tape measure, placing the tip up against the nut then pulling taut.) The bridge on this instrument measured ~15.4" from the nut, which is a little more than double, but was giving pretty accurate intonation at the 12th fret.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Hmmm... well then, 7 22/32" would be a 15 3/8" scale, exactly halfway between the 15.5" my customer measured and the 15.25" Paul mentioned. Looks like I'd better physically measure the thing before I cut a fingerboard.
    Thanks!