Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyon and Healy? Vintage? Antique?

Default Re: Lyon and Healy? Vintage? Antique?

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Well, if you sell it on eBay, for $600 or whatever, you could donate some of the sale price to the Mandolin CafeŽ, for the free expertise you obtained here.
    That is one good idea. There are folks on this forum who have gained significant knowledge in things mandolin after years of study, practice, material $$ expenses etc. I just can't see why they should be expected to purvey free instrument appraisal services to members of general public, particularly in case of those who aim to derive a financial gain from such appraisal ?

Would be happy to donate a few dollars to the community. I revised my listing...I would mainly just like further information as to the origin of this mandolin. Nobody in my family knows much about my grandmother's history so some sort of link (hoping based off the date/place of purchase) of this instrument might connect a few dots. Again, very sorry if anyone considered my original post to be misleading and a huge apology to those enthusiasts who feel like they were taken advantage of!

I had a bowl back a decade ago with the same fret board, Saturn and all. it had a label. midland, if that helps. I never was able to find out where midland instruments came from for sure. there was a midland banjo company in Ontario Canada circa WWI, and I found my mandolin in Toronto. I have also been told there was a midland instrument company in the Midwest. the label gave no address.

Midland was a brand sold by Wurlitzer out of Cincinnati, OH. The couple of photos of bowlbacks I have in my files for that brand do not have that pearl or pearloid fretboard of those inlays. That doesn't mean that it is not a Midland, I just am not sure.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you!!!!!!!

my midland had a butterfly pick guard but was otherwise almost identical to the one pictured here. weird pearloid fret board and all. it was a nice sounding bowl back but not fantastic. I traded mine long ago

Registered User PiccoloPrincipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    That is one good idea. There are folks on this forum who have gained significant knowledge in things mandolin after years of study, practice, material $$ expenses etc. I just can't see why they should be expected to purvey free instrument appraisal services to members of general public, particularly in case of those who aim to derive a financial gain from such appraisal ?
    Um, no..allow me to help you see

Excuse me, she didn't "expect" anything. She asked..
    What she uses the information for is her business.
    One may choose to respond, or not, to such requests.

Was this an "appraisal" or an "appraisal service" ?
    If so I wasn't aware.

This is a PUBLIC internet forum, a group of people with similar interests discussing those interests, nothing more.

ANYONE can sign up, anyone can answer or ask a question.
    Her question helps you, helps others .. helps everyone.

..and does in fact help this forum.

See these banners at the top, the sides, etc. They are advertisers..

The people who created this and other forums certainly may have a genuine interest in the subject, but if you believe it is goodwill you are very naive.

Look at the home page..this forum's business IS people (as all others).

By your sense of reasoning, the forum should be paying us for contributing the information we provide..It is our clap-trap and desire to connect that makes this forum (and all others) ..
    It is they who are using us..

I for one hope she sells it for $1000 ..

It also tends to irk me when people criticize another wishing to make a profit.
    We live in a free market economy btw. That would help me, help you, help everyone..

You can google Adam Smith or David Hume, or Wiki it, or Yahoo it, Bing it, etc...
    Although rhetorical (and not entirely sarcastic), when is the last time you contributed to them?

Don't wish to be rude or harsh, in fact I don't know why I am taking the time, but I do call them like I see them.

Regards

PS: Jeez, I even searched for a link.

To show this was slightly tongue in cheek .. LINK
    Last edited by PiccoloPrincipe; Feb-22-2014 at 7:04pm.

We all gain from this venue... I myself have learned a lot from some very wise folks here. There is no problem with folks even asking for our expertise. We just appreciate people to contribute to the site and keep it going. Yes, it is a commercial site but that also doesn't mean that even Scott who runs it is making millions from it. And none of us resent anyone asking questions and have nothing really against people selling their mandolins. Many of us buy and sell instruments.

I used to be quite interested when someone posts here about how a mandolin was handed down to them from generations past. I always am interested in what the history of these instruments were and what kind of music was played on it.

Now, however, I will assume that anyone who is new to the community who is posting about an inherited instrument, unless they state otherwise, is looking to sell it, esp if they are asking the value. I don't think it is at all obnoxious to ask a poster who gains valuable info here to contribute to the community. And there are many posters as above who do state that outright. Nothing wrong with that either.

And, BTW PP, I do contribute to Wikipedia and did so a month or so ago.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: