Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyon and Healy? Vintage? Antique?

Default Lyon and Healy? Vintage? Antique?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum. My grandmother left me this mandolin though there is no label on it as to the date or make of this beautiful mandolin. The fret board is pure mother of pearl along with the bird shown in the picture. Was hoping someone could provide me with information on this and what the possible value might be.

Thanks in advance!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	113996

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	113997

Name:	photo(3).jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	113998

Default Re: Lyon and Healy? Vintage? Antique?

Great instrument, I am interested to see what some of the experts here say. I think a picture of the the tuning machines from the back as well as a picture of the front of the machine head will be helpful in identifying. Also a picture of the back of the bowl since number of ribs is related to quality.
    Jim Richmond

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I'm with Jim. More photos would be very helpful in estimating an ID: sides, back, headstock and tuners.

The thick MOP top banding and particular pickguard do not make me think L+H. (But they are always a reasonable guess sans a label.)

Those all MOP fretboards kind of creep me out thinking about what the must feel like under the fingertips. But I've never played one so it may be all in my imagination.

Value is going to be dependent on it's relative playability, which is going to be entirely dependent on the condition of the neck and its relative angle to the body / bowl of the mandolin. Sadly, these bowlback mandolins, despite their obvious craft, materials and detailing, do not command much of a price these days. Far too many were made, and so many are still around relative to the current taste / demand that the prices are inevitably depressed.

If the neck is in good alignment, this might be a $300 mandolin on a good day. A very good day. Others may quibble with me on that, but probably not by more than 25-30%. If the neck alignment is off and the playing action (distance from strings to fretboard) is poor (say 3/32" or more) then you are talking $100 max. Someone might pay a bit more to chop-shop the mother of pearl.

Glad you brought the mandolin by. Don't let the economic numbers qualify what it might be actually worth. It was your grandmothers mandolin! We'd love to hear more about her, the music she played, where she was from and where she might have acquired the mandolin. This is the Mandolin Cafe, after all, not Antique Roadshow....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

i haven't seen a mandolin with a MOP fretboard but I did have a Gretsch Tenor Banjo with one and that was a 30's/40's phenomenon... I agree with Brunello on possible value. The only American made bowlbacks worth any coin are the higher end Martins - and even they have fallen on soft times...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    i haven't seen a mandolin with a MOP fretboard but I did have a Gretsch Tenor Banjo with one and that was a 30's/40's phenomenon...
    Interesting; I would have said earlier. The Pearloid "mother of toilet seat" plastic fingerboards (headstock overlays, pickguards etc.) appeared in the 1920's, I believe, often used instead of actual mother-of-pearl. Pearloid was certainly less expensive, and could be molded or machined into shape without having to be cut from shell like the "real thing."

Similar history with celluloid imitation tortoise shell.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

A side view would also show the action (string height above the fretboard) and possible sagging of the top under the bridge. But from the 3 photos first posted, it looks pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    This is the Mandolin Cafe, after all, not Antique Roadshow....
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

The Eagle inlay on the pickguard is prob a stock item from a pearl supplier -- it doesn't mean that it is not of value. I agree with my esteemed colleagues on value. I have a very nice looking pearly no-name bowlback with a deluxe pickguard inlay. It looks in relative OK shape but there can be issues that are not apparent in photos. Real pearl fretboards BTW also present a bit of problems with refretting tho, of course, it can be done.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Pearly Queen.

One of the chewiest guitar licks to emerge from the era. It was a long time before I learned the source of the term.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great replies!!

My grandmother played a variety of instruments. Piano, violin and this mandolin. She was born in New York of Russian/Polish origin.
    I've included more pictures as some had requested different angles and the wood. Thanks again for all the great information!

Name:	IMG_4236.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	114047

Name:	IMG_4238.JPG 
Views:	753 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	114048

Name:	IMG_4235.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	114049

Name:	IMG_4243.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	322.2 KB 
ID:	114050

Name:	IMG_4239.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	114051

Name:	IMG_4241.JPG 
Views:	360 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	114052

Name:	IMG_4242.JPG 
Views:	352 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	114053

Well, looking thru my jpeg files, I did find a mandolin that matches the OP's however, it, too, is unlabelled. This one is very close with the exception of the pearl border on the body. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0e04_1.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	114060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1402_1.JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	114061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16c9_1.JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	114062  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I think Weyman used to do those Saturn inlay logos, but I suspect they may have been off the peg inlays.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

I have photos of a couple of Washburn 1897 Cremonatone models with pearl fretboards, but neither have those inlays and the head has an inlayed black veneer front and the top of the head is a different shape. The saturn inlay 'tended' to be on instruments from Philadelphia, maybe New York, but rarely I think from Chicago. I do have a pic of a Weymann with a pearl fretboard and similar inlays, but a totally different soundboard edging. A similar pearl edging is on a Yosco mandolin from New York, but all the other details are different.

cheers

Blog Entries

I just had a webby look and there's this one on Antebellum.........
    http://antebelluminstruments.blogspo...-mandolin.html

Name:	weybow-4.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	114066

It's worth posting just for those tuners anyway

Name:	weybow-3.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	114067

Does anyone know why Saturn was used on so many instruments? I found loads of guitars etc with it too.

ooo! and a Mandolute

Wikipedia kind of answers my question as to why Saturn
    " In December, he was celebrated at what is perhaps the most famous of the Roman festivals, the Saturnalia, a time of feasting, role reversals, free speech, gift-giving and revelry."
    Last edited by Beanzy; Feb-10-2014 at 5:26am. Reason: mandolute
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

While on the Antebellum site I found this tentative ID of a similar mandolin as "Oscar Schmidt in New Jersey around c.1900-1910"

It has these features.

Name:	pand4.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	114068

Name:	pand9.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	114069

Name:	pand10.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	114070

But How about this?
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-gui...-mandolin.html

Name:	IMG_6583_zpsf2703bf5.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	114071

"Angelo Mannello
    Manufacturer of the finest
    mandolins, Mandolas and guitars
    Highest award at the world's columbian exposition(That's another name for the Chicago World Fair)
    Tail piece is marked with patent date of 1886."
    Eoin

My general feeling would be East Coast / NJ / NY / Philadelphia rather than Chicago. That the OP's GM was in NY adds some speculative cred.

The only thing close I have in my files is this Stella (made by Schmidt?) with some similar details.

The Schmidt (w or w/o Mannello) hook-up might be a reasonable bet, though very difficult to be certain. The headstock that Jim posted seems the closest match.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stella Bowlback_Front.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	114073  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Blog Entries

Wow that is a real beauty.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Gibson first used "mother of toilet seat" on the model AC Century of Progress mandolin starting in 1933. The actual name was Pyralin and it was made by DuPont and debuted at the 1932-33 World's Fair in Chicago, which is why Gibson used it. Your mandolin clearly pre-dates Pyralin, so my guess is it's real MOP.

Name:	1934 AC and A50 mandos.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	114081
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

This mandolin is now on eBay for starting bid of $600. No further comments...yet.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    This mandolin is now on eBay for starting bid of $600. No further comments...yet.
    I feel so used.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I have lost count of all those instances where a person enquires about their family heirloom, a grandma(pa) mandolin of a great sentimental value to them, just that they would like to know more about it for insurance purposes.
    The next step is the mandolin is listed for sale or eBay, and the poster is never to be heard of again.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I don't think the OP was at all deceptive about his/her intentions in this instance; in fact, the "possible value" inquiry was a pretty clear signal of a determination to sell.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I don't think the OP was at all deceptive about his/her intentions in this instance; in fact, the "possible value" inquiry was a pretty clear signal of a determination to sell.
    I agree, I don't mind sharing info with those less knowledgeable than us. Besides we get to see some pretty neat stuff from time to time. Unfortunately the OP's estimate of value is off. Nice bowl back but 2 bills on a good day would be a victory.
    Michael Lettieri

I'm sorry. Please don't feel used. I really don't want to get rid of it but just wanted to see if there was any interest on eBay (hence the high price) or if anyone else on eBay could provide more information.

After posting here for many years and frankly enjoying the detective work, I am no longer surprised and certainly am not insulted by someone turning around and selling it. You will notice that Mick has an emoticon... he is amused, not annoyed. I do think that kramesauce is shooting high (as he admits, on purpose) esp for an unlabelled bowlback with some sketchy and sloppy amateur repairs (viz. the glue seeping out under the clasp).

I rarely if ever post my estimate of worth but more a range. Obviously there are some folks who are ready to buy a car on the proceeds and I feel it is good to put the general value in perspective.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by kramesauce View Post
    I'm sorry. Please don't feel used. I really don't want to get rid of it but just wanted to see if there was any interest on eBay (hence the high price) or if anyone else on eBay could provide more information.
    Well, if you sell it on eBay, for $600 or whatever, you could donate some of the sale price to the Mandolin CafeŽ, for the free expertise you obtained here.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

26. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post: