Thread: Shifty Trader from eBay?

Default Shifty Trader from eBay?

So, as I recently found out that we expecting our first child, I wanted to acquire a guitar to play. I have only owned two guitars over the past decade, an anniversary year Martin D-18 and a 1961 Martin O-18. I quickly traded the D-18 towards a mint Carlson signed F-5L. The O-18, for my ability, for the shear comfort of holding it (especially on my recliner), and the big voice it has for a little guitar...make it all the guitar I will probably ever need. My Mom found this guitar at a local auction advertised as a 1973 Gibson. Few people were at the auction and my Mom bought it for me at a ridiculously low price. I have had it for probably 15 years and it is showing some signs of wear now. For this reason, and the impending baby, I thought I would find a nice O-18 to use in hopes of preserving the 61 as an heirloom.
    Which took me to this guitar....

<Removed by Moderator>

If you notice on the auction, it says NO RETURNS. So I sent a message through eBay to discuss what most of us now consider a standard 48 hour trial. I basically explained what I explained in my intro to this message.

His Response:
    Seth, I'm not a dealer; i just love fine instruments, and my interests change as time passes. Jim Merrill analyzed my "habit" 25 years ago, saying, "You learn what an instrument has to teach you, and then you move on." I wish I could offer an approval privilege, but the instrument is accurately described. Sorry, not interested in trades. (I have a Rigel, a Givens Legacy A-6, and a Larrivee A-style which will be on ebay soon.) Thanks very much for your inquiry!

So, basically, he says it is because he is not "dealer" that he doesn't feel obligated to honor and that the instrument is accurately described.....look at the description, it has HUGE volume. I actually thought about buying it, and if it didn't have a HUGE tone, I would have been protected by eBay. Instead, I implored the seller to re-consider the trial. I told him my handle on here, so if he wanted research my history as being fair he could.

His next response:
    Sorry, I'm not a dealer. Thanks

<Removed by Moderator>

Well, then I got ticked.....Saying I am not a "dealer" as an excuse, really got me going. If you look at <Removed by Moderator> on eBay, is he a dealer? If you sell more instruments, especially high end instruments, than any store I know of, just because it is on eBay, you are still a dealer,...right? As of right now he has three guitars listed, and said that he will soon be listing those three mandolins. Also, if you look at his history, this guy has sold ALOT of instruments on eBay(granted with positive feedback). Just in the last 12 months as a seller, he has sold at least 18 instruments, as his seller feedback has 18 comments, which means he probably even sold more than this and people just didn't give feedback. But in looking at what he sold in the past 12 months, he has sold at least $16,000 in instruments. Now again, if you are moving $16K in instruments, whether eBay or not, how can you say you are not a dealer? And it is too bad, it looks like he is fairly priced and has some really nice stuff, I could have done some real business with this guy.

So, because, it would be hard to say you are not a dealer at these numbers, I sent....
    Dear <Removed by Moderator>

Well you are a dealer, you have sold more high end instruments here than most shops I know of, you just feel better by saying your not to cut your liability. Kind of shifty actually. I will posting on a couple of forums to see what "the masses" think about this practise, to me it's shifty....."I am not a dealer". When actually you are dealer just not an authorized Martin dealer.
    Too bad it's your loss, you could have that sold by now.

All the best,

In which he replied...

This is a very odd message to send to someone don't even know. You make a lot of assumptions, and rail at me because I don't live up to your standards. Sorry you can't have it your way this time.
    I think I can set up my message box to block any further screed from you. If not, I'll just delete any further messages manually, and they'll remain unread.
    <Removed by Moderator>

WOW! I make a lot of assumptions, yes after selling $16K in instruments in 12 months, I am not assuming....it is a fact, you specialize in selling instruments on eBay. Whether an authorized dealer or not,...... Just wanted to share the experience with everyone and see what you all think. Maybe someone here works for the IRS, and could pay him a visit, and explain that he is indeed a dealer. When I started buying and selling mandolins, I kept it legal, filed as an LLC and got a tax number. I have sold half what this guy has this year and have no problem calling myself a dealer. Besides, because you are not a "dealer" does that mean it is ok to sell someone something then if they are unhappy....oh, sorry, I am not dealer, too bad, you bought it, its yours.
    Just frustrated, I usually do not post negative things on here but this guy....

Regards,
    Seth
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Feb-15-2014 at 5:52pm.

Default Re: Shifty Trader from eBay?

I really feel the only input the buyer need make is to not purchase the product if they don't like the terms. I too would hesitate to spend that much money without a try out period, but, that is not a common practice on ebay.
    Jim Richmond

See the Cafe guidelines concerning using the message board as leverage in transactions.

If you don't like the guy's policies, don't buy the guitar.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

4. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with this. The seller hasn't done anything wrong that I can see. We'll just shut this one down.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post: