Thread: Yet another pick thread

Default Yet another pick thread

I'm sorry …. I'm REALLY sorry. How many pick threads have there been?!
    Anyway … as a happy user of ProPlecs and Dawgs ….. I was turned onto these and love them. "It's three! Three!! Three picks in ONE!!!"
    John Pearse CASEIN: http://www.elderly.com/accessories/n...pick--PKFT.htm.

Great on my arch top guitars too.

Pearse also has the same shape in plastic which i'm trying on banjo. So far so good.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Default Re: Yet another pick thread

Apologies accepted. Didn't do a search but I don't know if a whole thread has been devoted to the John Pearse CASEIN before. I have been meaning to try them. For a certain mellow tone I really like the casein picks I have tried. Will look into these, though the shape is not my favourite (I prefer triangle picks).

Z-z-z-z-z

I agree with Ron. Doesn't everyone know there is ONLY one Pick---- eh I forgot what is it again?

I love David Grisman, but i really do HATE Dawg picks. Some good players seem to swear by them. I guess I'm not good enough yet to fully appreciate them -- at all. When someone says they love ProPlecs AND Dawgs I get nervous, because I love one and hate the other. WHAT AM I MISSING?

[QUOTE=Santiago WHAT AM I MISSING?[/QUOTE]

Nothing really. They're just tools. For single notes and certain sounds the ProPlec is the better choice for me. For tremelo, especially chords, the Dawg does it … for me. Similarly on the guitar. What i like about the Fast Turtles is both choices are in one pick. If i drop it at a jam or dance there's just one thing to pull off of my headstock. No stopping to check or choose. Grab it and turn to the surface i want.

Ryk

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    For single notes and certain sounds the ProPlec is the better choice for me. For tremelo, especially chords, the Dawg does it … for me.
    I don't mean to be critical in any way, but I've heard this statement before and it confuses me. How do you prefer one pick for single noting and one pick for tremolo? Most players quite often do both within the same instrumental lead and within the same song. Do you switch in the middle of a song? I would think that a player should be proficient with single noting and tremolo using the same pick.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

8. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I don't mean to be critical in any way, but I've heard this statement before and it confuses me. How do you prefer one pick for single noting and one pick for tremolo? Most players quite often do both within the same instrumental lead and within the same song. Do you switch in the middle of a song? I would think that a player should be proficient with single noting and tremolo using the same pick.
    I like my Blue Chips for tremolo. Especially my TAD 100 1R. But I like my Pro Plecs for the mellow tone on single notes. I like other picks for other things (strumming, to give you a 'fer instance'). I have resigned myself to the fact that no pick can be all things to me. So, if my Blue Chip TAD 80 is just my favourite all round pick, but not the best pick in every way for every thing (I mean, I have the 80 but stay married to my wife....), then that is just life in this world.

Keep the pick threads coming.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    In the context of the musical gatherings i'm playing in … often the mandolin … or guitar if that's what i'm playing … is in the background. In those instances Dawgs for chords and tremoloing those chords. If i'm taking leads or single lines then the ProPlecs.

Of course … when yuh gotta hit a nail .. hit it with the hammer you got.

Ryk

Wow, never considered that. I pretty much play with the same pick all night.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

count me as a big fan of 2.5 Fast Turtles. LOVE 'em on mando and gtr.

i've also been digging these Clayton horn picks. at 3 for around $5 i think they're a great deal and i don't have to feel too bad when i lose one!

http://www.amazon.com/Clayton-Horn-E...n+guitar+picks
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!