Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eucalyptus A5

Default Re: Eucalyptus A5

Hi CedarSlayer,

River Red Gum is beautiful timber, rich red with amazing grain patterns and swirly figure, especially in slabs from big old trees, though it often has sap pockets and other 'problems' (which can actually be a feature if treated right).

Like many eucalypts it's prone to checking when drying. This is from the Department of Primary Industries:

"During the drying process, surface checks and warping can occur. Placing weights on the stacks as they dry can help in preventing this. River red gum timber can also season well in air-dried stacks.
    The timber of river red gums is considered to be difficult to work due to its hardness and interlocking grain. However, the timber polishes well and can exhibit an attractive, decorative grain."

I like to think of some growing in Texas...

It is a lovely tree. I planted our a wide range of hardy Eucalyptus, but the only ones that made it are the Botryoides and the Red River Gums. I have long planned to harvest one of them, but I suspect my wife won't let me when time comes to do it. Even if I don't ever get a plank out of it, they regularly produce huge dead limbs, so after I manage to cure a bit, I should have a regular supply of smaller pieces.

My wife just confirmed it, she will not be letting me harvest the eucalyptus.

Bob

Blog Entries

That's a great looking instrument Tom.
    I'd like to use local timbers once I find a source.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

That is a lovely instrument, Tom! And I have to applaud the use of local timber.

There must be something in the water, Australia seems to have more than it's fair share of brilliant wood workers.

Bob

5. The following members say thank you to CedarSlayer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jenner View Post
    That's a great looking instrument Tom.
    I'd like to use local timbers once I find a source.
    Thanks for the kinds words Pete.

Maybe you should go on a 'collecting trip' to Tasmania. Last time I was there I got an amazing slab of Myrtle from an old bloke in the sticks, still working wood in his 80s, who had a huge shed full of timber he'd cut or collected over the decades. Lots of lovely stuff in Queensland too, as Rob Grant knows. Justify it as a working holiday...

7. The following members say thank you to tom.gibson for this post:

I've been up here in the far north of Queensland for almost forty years and I still come across new and amazing timbers I've never seen before. Admittedly many don't grow large or straight enough to get a back or top out of, but veneers, pickguards, fretboards, bridges, inlays and binding are potential uses.

Peter (Coombe) have you taken the plunge and built one of those "strap hangers" yet? If so, I love to see an image of it.

Queensland Black Walnut back, Scented Maple sides, King Bill top "strap hanger" (without finish)... all Oz:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scroll1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	114638
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Grant For This Useful Post:

Hi Rob, that's a nice detail. What's the reddish neck strip timber?

Have you ever used Northern Silky Oak or Mackay Cedar for backs? I've got a fair bit of both and wondered about their potential.

Blog Entries

Wonderful looking mandolin. I'm incredibly happy with my mandolin with a Western Australian Sheoak back and engleman top. Australia does have a wonderful selection of interesting tonewoods available for those ready to go away from the usual maple back.

Seeing these makes me want to go back to Oz as soon as possible.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

12. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Tom, The red timber centre strip in that three piece neck (octave mandolin) is "Cooktown Ironwood" (Erythrophleum chlorostachys). "Cooktown Ironwood" is one of our very dense, leguminous hardwoods. I mainly use it for fretboards and pickguards. The timber tends to be a bit too heavy to use for anything else. As a fretboard it polishes up to a nice slick surface without actually adding any other finish. Some wag was flogging this tmber as "red Ebony" many moons ago. There is no relationship between the true Ebonies (serveral species of which do grow here in Oz) and Cooktown Ironwood.
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz

14. The following members say thank you to Rob Grant for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    That's beautiful, Tom. I love eucalyptus. Next one you do, you should fume it with ammonia- turns it a rich chocolate brown. But this looks excellent as it is, well done.
    How does it feel owning an Australian-made Gibson? :-)
    Yes, good point! Indeed it is a Gibson mandolin! Great looking build Tom - love to hear what it sounds like!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

16. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Ditto Tom. Beautiful instrument. It's excellent to see our local timbers used in such a spunky application. How'se 'bout treatin' us to a sound file when you get the chance?
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz

18. The following members say thank you to Rob Grant for this post:

Peter, If you are willing to search the hardware retailers have Tassie Oak. I've picked up some very nice quarter sawn with very few pitch pockets. But you need to look. It's a bit like our North American friends telling us of Maple finds.

It's probably a separate thread but there are vendors here who provide quality local tonewoods.

20. The following members say thank you to sebastiaan56 for this post: