Thread: Wood: pores?

Blog Entries

Default Wood: pores?

Here's a question that has occurred to me since I've been building: When people talk about "pores," what do they mean? I know what grain is (duh) but "pores" eludes me.

The immediate context is French Polishing. "You'll know you'll be done with pumicing when the pores are filled." What does this look or feel like?

If there are pictures anywhere ...
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Default Re: Wood: pores?

Perhaps a 3D representation like this one can help.

The pores are the tiny holes you can see in the surface... they look like...well...pores

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Hoadley's books on woods (I think one is called Understanding Wood and another is called Identifying Wood) are fantastic resources for the subject... Thanks be to John Hamlett for cluing me in on those books!!
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

Pores are vessel elements. In some woods they are larger than in other woods, and until they are big enough for us to see and feel and have to fill with something to get a smooth finish, we ignore them. When people say spruce and maple don't have pores, that's what's going on; they're ignoring the pores because they are small enough to be, well, ignored, when it comes to applying finish.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Someone with great respect and credibility in the "instrument player" world, like you John, should start a rumor on the forums, that open pores allow the great sound and tone of the wood to pour forth, and that filling pores stifles the instrument to death.
    And it would be the truth, right?

8. The following members say thank you to David Newton for this post:

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Thanks, Mike. This was EXACTLY what I needed. A great resource!
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

Richard, Mike, all: thank you for your answers. What an education! At least I won't ask THIS stupid question again! I very much appreciate y'all's taking time to answer.
    belbein

Some folk say that softwood does not have pores. Don't believe them. On this site you can click on the black and white image to see that the wood we call spruce, is pores. Typically the pores run up and down on most sound boards, but since we carve, a lot of pores are exposed. Violin makers who debate and try to emulate the great violins have published reams of theories on how to seal off pores so that the varnish does not seep into the pores and ruin the quality of the sound board. Egg, resins, sugars, borax, ash, pond water, river water, glue, and a wide range of grits are only a few of the materials that have been mixed up and smeared on spruce to try and keep the pores from being filled up.

While I don't want to try and make a mandolin that sounds like a violin, it is worth looking at what other luthiers do. It is pretty apparent that the F5 evolved from a close examination of violin making methods.

Bob