Thread: my new mandolin (need setup advice)

Default my new mandolin (need setup advice)

I got a new mandolin in the mail a couple days ago. It plays well, sounds lovely and the intonation is bang on according to my ear and tuner.

It's an Eastman 305 here's a picture.
    http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...psd1e97669.jpg

When I first started playing the mandolin frets 8-13 buzzed out. I thought this was because of too much relief. (I have attached photos in my photo bucket account below) I fixed the buzz for now by raising the bridge and all is still well, except for the E string I must now replace.

I have received a copy of Rob Meldrums set up setup ebook, thanks Rob. Looked through it but want to ask some questions before I tinker away.

While looking at the foot of the bridge I noticed a little teeny bit of light coming through the foot as well as a slight 'dip' in the face of my mandolin under the foot of its bridge.

My questions are: My biggest concern is #1 will this mandolin made in march 2011 continue to form a 'dip' where the foot meets the face if I do not shape the foot of the bridge and does this significantly effect the structural integrity of my mandolin?
    #2 Will sanding the foot of the bridge make a noticeable change in tone vs, a day of noodling away?
    #3 Is it a good idea to adjust the truss rod to straighten the neck out a little more and, would this potentially allow me to lower my action via the saddle and still avoid the buzzing from frets 8-13?

Here's the best pictures I could get of my action, couldn't get a good one of the bridge
    http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...psede22b6f.jpg
    http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7ed649f.jpg
    http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/...pscf0f7449.jpg
    I believe according to the serial the mandolin was made march 2011.

Default Re: my new mandolin (need setup advice)

You don't mention what store you bought it from. Hopefully you can still return it. There should be no dip under the foot bridge. This is a defect. Probably the top was carved too thin in that spot. It could potentially get worse. I would send it back if it were mine. As far as set up I would recommend buying it from a business thst includes professional setup in the price. The Mandolin Store Elderly and Folkmusician.com are three examples. Good luck.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Looks like you could possibly tighten the truss rod to straighten out the neck more, then raise the saddle a little. That may solve the buzz. Might make it worse if you have some high frets. The mandolin will sound better if the bridge feet fit the top well under tension. Is the "dip" just in the finish?
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Well I certainly would have gone to one of the stores y'all mention but as you can see I'm from Canada and with exchange at +10% +15% taxes +processing fees and other things I simply cannot afford it. I got a good deal on this one and I do have faith in it. Thanks for being so quick to put down my new beloved instrument.

The fret buzz is solved, from what I can see all of the frets are uniform to my eye which is why I would like to straighten the neck out just a little more one day maybe.

No the 'dip' is in the wood, if I run my finger over it I can feel that the face is slightly less uniform in the 'bubble' under the bridge and looks to me it is because of the unevenness of the foot of the bridge.

JazzMelon welcome to the Cafe'.

I am happy that your instrument now satisfies you. But I was lead to believe by your original post that you wanted the truth and in your question #1 it seems you have a legitimate and justifiable concern about what you describe as a "dip" under the foot of the bridge. And I attempted to tell you the truth about it. If you described the problem accurately I stand by what I originally said. It is a defect and it could potentially get worse. I've seen it happen.

It certainly was not my intent to "put down" your instrument. In fact although I do not own one I am a big fan of Eastmans and they are on the whole great instruments. But even good instrument makers are capable of making errors.

You are a newcomer here. I was in the same position 3 years ago. I will share a bit of advice. When you ask a question here and a Cafe' member offers an answer which is obviously meant to be helpful it would behoove you to accept the given advice graciously, whether it's what you want to hear or not. You are of course free to take the advice or ignore it as you please. But when you are the one initiating the question and soliciting the advice, and a member takes time out of their busy day to answer that question, in effect doing you a favor, a simple "thank you" without sarcasm goes a long way towards building a positive relationship. You only get one chance to make a first impression after all.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Pardon me. Owning a new instrument one invests in is a delicate subject and, I felt a little, defensive towards my new instrument. I have told the dealer about my little problem.

It isn't so much a dip it's more, a slight imperfection. I notice both sides of the mandolin are not identical or entirely symmetrical. I was more so looking for a, say Charles isn't sending me another mandolin, is this problem caused by the foot of the bridge being improperly shaped and adjusting the top over the past few years or, did the maker put a properly shaped foot on my mandolin that was improperly carved and would it be in my best interest if Charles doesn't have another 305 to send me, to sand the foot to shape the top of my new mandolin with slight imperfections.

JazzMelon,
    There is no way anyone here can diagnose what needs to be done for your mandolin by the sparse information you have given, and without having it in hand to see what is what. I can guess a few things too, but you need a good set-up by someone who knows how to do it.

8. The following members say thank you to David Newton for this post:

I'll be visiting an educated mandolin player on Sunday, I'll see what he has to say about. I'm also awaiting a reply from the the dealer. I feel I have a diamond in the rough so to say as it is a joy to play but, does have some noticeable issues I plan to address with light patient sanding on my next weekend under the guidance of my partners music teacher/friend. Thunder Bay isn't the greatest for musical instruments. Or any fine or specific goods for that matter. But, it is a beautiful place.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Jazz,

I wouldn't get too excited about some of the comments you've gotten. There have been previous discussions about a slight irregularity near the foot of some Eastmans that apparently is NOT a defect and just a part of their design.

It's true that no one here can make a diagnosis accurately from your descriptions and pictures, but I haven't heard you say anything that makes me predict that you've got a lemon.

One of your pictures suggests a little extra relief but hard to say without seeing it in person.

Get an opinion from someone who has some experience and actually has the mandolin in his hands and don't dispair because of some overly negative commentors on the board.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMelon View Post

The fret buzz is solved, from what I can see all of the frets are uniform to my eye which is why I would like to straighten the neck out just a little more one day maybe.
    You won't be able to tell if you have a high fret just by looking. Using a small straight edge place it on 3 frets and see if it rocks, move up one fret and place on 3 frets and see if it rocks. Do this up your fingerboard and if you find a spot that it rocks you have found a high fret.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the advice on that one Pops and thanks for the reassurance of my mandolin Philip. I still haven't found the time to work out the fine setup of my mandolin, been moved to a 6 day work week for now, barely have time to play the thing!!! It is still sounding lovely, a little buzzy and, I am now happier with my mandolin as, the strings stay in tune and, it sounds so lovely especially in comparison to the borrowed Smokey Mountain I was playing. Might take it in to get checked out at Folkway Music in Guelph Ontario when I see my mom and dad, I've seen some really impressive repairs from those guys done for a clutsy buddy of mine.

It's sort of like blueprinting an engine. Just systematically move everything into conformance with standards the best you can.

With an irregular arch (not uncommon), sanding won't quite get it. Can use a transfer medium (watered down lipstick, carbon paper, chalk) to determine the proud spots and scrape the bridge feet. Then smooth a bit with abrasive paper and check fit.

On the frets, may well take truss rod adjustment plus a tad of leveling around the neck joint, to account for settling of everything after construction. Not a big deal, take your time and use a flat file (do check, many aren't) and some little files for crowning. See frets.com and various other instructing sites Take your time!

have fun!!!
    Stephen Perry

14. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post: