Thread: Polishing Plastic Pickguard

Default Polishing Plastic Pickguard

Well, I got myself into this pickle because I decided to consign this instrument to a music store. A couple of weeks later I changed my mind and retrieved said instrument. Sometime within the 2 weeks this store had the instrument some !@#$%^& took it for a test drive and whacked the heck out of the pickguard, leaving many significant pick scratches. I know, lesson learned, but I figure I will take off the pick guard and wet sand and polish the scratches out using Micro Mesh. Now, I usually use the stuff on finishes, but it was actually invented for use on plastic restoration so I figure piece of cake. Well, after two days of sanding/polishing, the pick scratches are long gone, but I can't get the surface back to a look that is acceptable. I used 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 wet with soapy water with a cross-hatch pattern as recommended in the instructions. No matter what I do I am left with a finely scratched surface. I have tried the micro gloss liquid polish that comes with the kit and Stew Mac Swirl Mark remover in vain. Has anyone else done this by hand? I have no power arbor polishing wheel or anything like that so it has to be something effective when hand polishing. Any advice appreciated.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Default Re: Polishing Plastic Pickguard

Don - What make of mandolin is it ?. I ask because if it's an old one with a Celluloid pickguard,then removing the scratches completely will be very difficult as the material is very soft. If the pickguard is of the more modern 'black plastic' material type,then it shouldn't be too difficult,but might require a buffing wheel with the correct buffing soap to really remove them & to bring back the finish. The material needs to be pretty hard to enable a high gloss to be retained.Too soft,& the polishing media itself only adds to the problem. I know from having worked with Aerospace plastics for 8 years, just how difficult 'polishing' many types of plastic can be. An alternative might be to very carefully sand the guard with very fine grade abrasive paper so that the 'scratches' run perfectly straight from top to bottom,as though it had a 'grain' (see pic.). Then, polish the guard with a non-silicone polish.The polish just takes away any 'dusty' appearance. The pic.is of the underside of my Lebeda pickguard,the top face has the same finely sanded appearance,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda pickguard - 1.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	114989
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

It's really tough to get all the scratches out of plastic like Ivan says. You could make life easy for yourself and skim with shellac and then sand out and polish that (you only need enough shellac to fill the sanding scratches in the plastic). Or else you need better buffing compounds: Meguiars PlasticX is about the most abrasive of the bunch, followed by their swirl remover. Good luck!

5. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Ivan and Tavy thank you for your responses. I guess I didnt give you complete information. It is not a mandolin. It is an electric guitar. Made by Fender. So no mandolin content. But I posted here because I know the best luthiers in the world are here! The plastic is the 5 ply laminated bwbwb you see on many instruments. Not sure of the actual chemical makeup of the plastic but I am sure its an off the shelf product. I would save myself some grief and just buy a new pickguard except this guitar is not your typical Strat or Tele. It is an odd duck they only made a couple of years and replacement parts are scarce as hens teeth.

I think I will try the Plastcx since it is easy to find. What about the 3 step Novus system? Anyone have success with that?

On the guitar forums eveyonr either says just buy a new pickguard or live with the scratches because they are mojo. Well I would buy a new one if I could find one. And I pride myself on keeping my instruments minty. This one is not a gigger. This is from the collection. It is a closet queen. I have a gentle touch and never put any pick scratches in my instruments. Which is why I get so mad when I think about some kid (my guess) pretending he's Pete Townsend on my knstrument! Of course if he had BOUGHT it we wouldn't be having this conversation!
    Last edited by multidon; Feb-28-2014 at 8:18am.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I use McGuire's #7 or another of the white colored liquid polishes, and a soft cotton (T-shirt material) cloth.

8. The following members say thank you to David Newton for this post:

Fender pickguard materials tend to be quite soft, much softer than mandolin guards. Almost all of their guards have direct replacements available. Unless it is an extremely rare model you may do better to replace it. You can always keep the original to sell with it for authenticity purposes.

10. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

Nevin normally I would agree with you about Fender pickguards but an exhaustive and I mean exhaustive internet search turned up nothing. My guitar is Strat O Sonic with 2 humbuckers. I did find one pickguard on eBay but it is for the model with 2 p90's which is shaped differently. If anyone can point me toward someone who might carry what I need I would appreiate it. I will let everyone know how I make out with Plasticx.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I get my polish at Auto Zone.

13. The following members say thank you to David Newton for this post:

I use novus-medium for deep scratches and then the fine
    I don't use the glaze of polish or whatever it is -I think a silicon 'float'

novus is really good.
    it takes a lot of elbow grease for bad scratchs
    if they are very deep, sometimes they simply wont come out entirely

overall, it works the best , because, imho, it works slowly and is controllable and no surprises

I have used it on Gibson finishes and guards, fender finishes (poly and nitro), my martins , and guards, phono dustcovers, swiss army knives, and other stuff with huge success-it just may take several goes in each stage

another product I use -truly a miracle product-imho-its "dry wash and guard"
    it is designed to wash cars without water-its made in Nevada I believe-looks like Comet and water, but its super fine and gentle

it is a solution which suspends micro pumice in a water like solution

it is superb for final gloss-it is used for concours competitions

it is so gentle that one can take the top oxidation off of a sixty year old bike and the hand painted pin striping will not be affected or lessened-I mention is because it is the only product that can provided a mirror, wet type final finish

I have used it on all of the above as well, and once, on a cloudy spot on a varnish mando, with no ill results and a nice polish-it was off and on in a few seconds however, and I took a calculated risk-which happened to work

I also use it very occasionally should one of my guitars get clouded from armpit or hands-on the bout or shoulders

Its expensive stuff as its sort of a niche product. but a quart has lasted me like fifteen years

15. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

You could try these guys. http://www.terrapinguitars.com/

17. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

An alternative might be to very carefully sand the guard with very fine grade abrasive paper so that the 'scratches' run perfectly straight from top to bottom,as though it had a 'grain' (see pic.). Then, polish the guard with a non-silicone polish.The polish just takes away any 'dusty' appearance. The pic.is of the underside of my Lebeda pickguard,the top face has the same finely sanded appearance,
    Ultimately after three days of messing around and trying several products I found that a variation of Ivan's idea gave me the most visually appealing result. I went back to the micro mesh and did some stuff differently. I had been using the foam block that came with the micro mesh and discovered that was a big mistake because the top of the pick guard is not perfectly flat so I was missing some spots. Using my fingertips gave me much more control. I also spent longer with the 1500 to make sure I had a consistent surface. Worked up to 4000. I found if I tried to go glossier that then the scratches I missed (and there always were some. It's hard to be perfect!) would start to become apparent again. Stopping at 4000 gave me a satiny feel and look and the "scratches", all parallel in the same direction, are not apparent at a distance and close up they kind of look like a brushed effect. So I have decided to say good enough and move on. Life is too short. I already spent three days on this. I will still keep my eyes open for the right pickguard at guitar shows and such and if the price is right I might pull the trigger. But for now I'm happy. Thanks to all!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

So Don,you've got one of these animals !.If you want to buy a new guard,try here :- http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/p...ratspecial.htm $39.99 US,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fender Stratosonic.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	115058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stratosonic pickguard.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	115059
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Yes Ivan I did see that one. Unfortunately they came in two versions. That one is for the version with P90's. Mine has humbuckers. The pickguards are significantly different and cannot be interchanged. In short it would not fit. If it did I'd be all over it.

Actually they came in 4 different configurations: single P90, 2 P90's, single humbucker, and double humbucker. The pickguards are differrnt for all four. And three different colors: trans red, butterscotch, and sunburst. Do to have a complete collection you would have to get 12. I admit I've been tempted to try. Although relatively rare they are still affordably priced. I have a red 2 P 90 just like your picture and a 2 hb in butterscotch. I might go ahead and buy that pickguard for the other one while I still can.

Sorry everyone for the "no mandolin content". But I thought folks might be interested in the plastic polishing techniques. I have seen instruments for sale even "brand new" with a lot of pick wear from test drivers. Thr salesman always says "that'll buff right out". Well easier said than done for most of us.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Hi Don - Here's a place that will custom make a guard for you ''Pickguard Heaven'' - http://pickguards.us/priceotherfenderand.html
    I did actually do a search for a Stratosonic with 'twin humbuckers' & found the page from which i cribbed the pic.in my last post,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hi Don,

I'd try the Novus three-step product others have recommended. I tried it based on recommendations in another thread and was impressed. It is inexpensive, readily available and easy to use. If it doesn't work, no harm done. Anyway, htat's my take on it. Good luck!

+1 on Novus products. I'm a big fan. So big, in fact, that I now buy it in 1/2 gallon jugs. If you can't find it locally, eBay offers plenty of options. All you are likely to need is their product Novus No. 2. It works great on celluloid. Just sand up to 1500-2000 grit, and start rubbing in this product with a clean soft cotton cloth. Repeat until sanding scratches disappear.

I have found Novus No. 3 to be a bit coarse, so be careful using this compound. Novus No. 1 is really a plastic cleaner, really thin too, like water. Not much abrasive to it, but a good follow-up to No. 2. I use both of these to do general clean-up on entire instruments too. Works great on lacquer and poly finishes. For varnish finishes I prefer David Harvey's Jubilee Polish.