Thread: Getting some CDs made

Default Getting some CDs made

What's the best (er, I mean cheapest) way to get like 100 or 200 CDs manufactured just with our band logo and a few words on them. This isn't for public consumption, we just need something we can give to potential clients. I can just burn some CDs on the computer, but I'd like to have the CDs look the part with some printing on the front, perhaps even an image. I can make the jewel case inlays myself. I've looked at some of the options, but if any of you have already solved the problem I'd love to hear it.

Default Re: Getting some CDs made

If you don't mind burning them yourself, you might try designing/printing your own CD adhesive labels. I bought a pack of 50 or 100 from best buy or target several years ago. Print them in black and white or in color at home on an inkjet or laser printer.

Brand was Neato, IIRC.

3. The following members say thank you to Dave LaBoone for this post:

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

I've had positive experiences with http://www.discmakers.com over the years and most likely will use them for our upcoming release.

5. The following members say thank you to tablaninja for this post:

We do micro-run/short run CD duplication. It starts at $1 per disk (plus shipping) for a simple black print on silver disk. I imagine there are cheaper services out there though. We are a good option if you need additional work, mixing/mastering/graphic design/packaging, press kits, etc...

For good looking color printing on the disk, you need higher grade disks that add significantly to the cost. These do look great with a band photo printed on the disk though. If it is for marketing we normally put more effort into the disks that go into a press kit folder that has a CD slot and a business card slot. The business card design matches the CD, and then there will be a bio page (with images) and then an 8x10. We use a nice printed foil sticker on the outside of the press kits. It ends up being pretty expensive to make them, but the bands that have used these have seen noticeable increases in booking and the quality of gigs/pay they are getting. I guess the point is, make a press kit that far exceeds what the competition is doing and there is a very good chance you will get the first call.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

7. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

We use National Media Services at Field Recorders' Collective. They print digitally and will do small quantities (100-200) as well for a reasonable price.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The main concern with burning them yourself or having someone do that short of a run for cheap is that it's going to be a CD-R which may not play on everyone's equipment. I have had a few runs made like this with a very few instances of customers complaining that it wouldn't play, for example on their car stereo. Not a huge deal, but I've never liked the idea of sending it out as part of a press kit in pursuit of a gig I want, only to have the disc fail to play.

11. The following members say thank you to Andy Miller for this post:

I've used bisondisc.com for the last couple disks I needed. Good prices, excellent service and quality.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

13. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Thanks all, I really appreciate all the helpful tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave LaBoone View Post
    If you don't mind burning them yourself, you might try designing/printing your own CD adhesive labels. I bought a pack of 50 or 100 from best buy or target several years ago. Print them in black and white or in color at home on an inkjet or laser printer.

Brand was Neato, IIRC.
    That was what I did first, and found that was fine until you put them in your car stereo - and then, although they would play, it was very difficult to get them out again. I had to resort to poking about in there with a kitchen knife, and so did several others who tried to play them

Jeff tried out lightscribe a few weeks ago, and the CDs look pretty cool. You burn your disk, flip it over and burn an immage on the front.

17. The following members say thank you to Marcelyn for this post:

Adhesive labels are pretty useless (sooner or later they peel off). Decent quality printable CD-Rs aren't that expensive and the results look fully professional. If you don't already have a CD printer, this one does a good enough job.

19. The following members say thank you to houseworker for this post:

If you use high-grade blanks a good quality burner (also not too old as the lasers start to go) and burn at a slower speed, it eliminates most of the errors that lower grade and older CD players have trouble with.

Also having a system dedicated to burning, or making sure that nothing unnecessary is running (especially things like anti-virus, back-ups, indexing, etc..), makes a difference.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

21. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Here's some top quality printable CD-Rs: http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-CD...dp/B002U4QIBY/

Even if you have to buy a new printer you quickly cover the cost. The great thing about being set up to print your own is that you can just run off the CDs as and when you need them.