Thread: White Bridge Saddle

Default White Bridge Saddle

I've seen these in a few places recently, my mandolin teacher's old Gibson A, and in a few videos.

What are they? Are they bone? Some sort of ivory or tusk?
    I've heard it brightens up the mids and highs, as well.

If anyone knows anything and could steer me in the right direction, that would be awesome!

Thanks!
    Last edited by TEvans; Mar-05-2014 at 11:55pm.

Default Re: White Bridge Saddle

Pic?
    Its not a backwards guitar.

If you are looking to retrofit a current mandolin, bone is going to be the easy choice as it is readily available. An older mandolin could have ivory. Any of these will brighten up the mandolin, but usually in a bad way.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Do a google search for mandolin bridge bone saddle. I did and got this:

http://www.mandolinluthier.com/bone_...ass_bridge.htm

Around 1921 Gibson put some aluminum tops on the bridges of some mandolins. Is that what you might be seeing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I figured it was bone. I really enjoy my instructor's tone. But that may have less to do with the bridge and more to do with him being really freaking good at mandolin.

Some years ago in Bluegrass Unlimited there was an ad for bridge saddles made from deer antlers, I bought two of them and on one mandolin it made it sound a tad better and on another it took away from what sound I like, I have since removed them from all mandolins and am happy with the ebony saddles...They do seem to bring out the treble sound a bit more if that is what you are after but they don`t really make that much difference, at least to me they didn`t.....

It never hurts to try different things because you might hit on something that really makes your mando come alive...I also made one out of aluminum and it didn`t do anything but kill 50% of the loudness and tone...

Willie

Talk about resurrecting an old thread, but I believe your seeing Antler bridges by Rosa String Works.