Thread: NMD: Morgan Monroe MMT-1E

Default NMD: Morgan Monroe MMT-1E

Used via Amazon; at $220 shipped (with especially nice gig bag) is was on the high side of what I wanted to pay but she is kinda adorable. Set up was atrocious and it had bronze strings; 45 minutes (including touching up a high fret end) and I am smitten.

I used a hybrid set of strings based on what ever was in my gigbag, including single, flatwound g and d strings (so she has 6 strings) 40-30-15-11. Pots, jack and switch are noise free, and the PUPs aren't really that bad. They likely be replaced because I swap PUPS all the time. Pleased to find a universal route under the pickguard; I may even use different styles rather than single coil.

Now to my question; the toploader bridge has holes that would allow string thru if I drilled and "ferruled". Anyone try/seen that?

Default Re: NMD: Morgan Monroe MMT-1E

Yes. Helps to avoid bridge lifting as well.

See post #5:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...o-arrive-today

Measure PUPs carefully before ordering replacements. Some mando-clone installed PUPs are strat-sized, others are smaller. Lining the cavity with foil will go a long way to reducing any hum, if that is a problem.

buchrob,

Terrific, I missed that thread. Played it unplugged after the kiddos went to sleep; the flat wound unplugged sound reminded me of a good Fender guitar sound. Love it.

Probably going to make a couple of test guards out of old vinyl records to swap PUPs, but appreciate insight into single coil size.

Found another fret that may need to be shaved a bit. Maybe I will search for a whole new neck...

Yeah those look pretty sweet. There's a used on Guitar Centers site.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Frets may seem thin to some. Scalloping (gently sanding the wood between the metal frets to a U-shape) helps some in adding bite to the strings without needing extra pressure. Won't harm the look as long as you keep clear of the plastic binding.