Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What mandolins does the LA Phil play in Corigliano Symphony

Blog Entries

Default Re: What mandolins does the LA Phil play in Corigliano Symphony

Yes, this is mandolin as stage prop, not featured instrument. The second movement is called "Tarantella" and uses the mandos to sound sort of Italian, although not too slavishly. Corigliano is a theatrical writer (movie scores, too), and they are a special effect, mainly. Not that the part is easy---it was a challenge for me when I did it.

The symphony is a trip, screaming 1st movt, busy 2nd, lyric 3rd, dreamy 4th with mandos playing light chords at the end.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    It could also mean that for the ensemble sound, the sound quality of a particular mandolin or two is not the most critical thing. It just has to sound mandolinny.
    Not wrong there Jeff. We did a bit along with the BBC Concert Orchestra (me on my KM150 others on various similar level mandolins) When the conductor wanted the mandolins to play up more the cry was "More Marscapone, I can never have enough marscapone here" (Italian cheese) so yea it depends on how they're using it. However now when playing the Calace with the local amateur orchestra the conductor keeps getting me to play solo just so people can hear the beautiful tone. You hear little of the true balance submerged in the mass of bodies. I think in terms of the sound from any orchestra just having the sharp soprano plucked instrument poking through is a huge addition to the colour palette, by contrast to the plucked violin family instruments.

As a start it would be great to hear orchestras begin to use mandolin family instruments as a standard to augment pizz sections in pieces where the pizz is meant to be loud and sharp.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Saga is putting some good stuff out there these days. There is no particular shame in owning and/or using a Kentucky or Trinity College.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Frankly whatever the answer was going to be I was not going to be surprised. However, when will modern conductors and composers finally recognize the virtues of the Shmergel Devastator?

I still did not see the list of mandolin player, Roland. Do you know them or are they violinists doubling?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

If they are violinists doubling and not experienced mandolinists, well then it matters very little what mandolins they were playing on.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Saga is putting some good stuff out there these days. There is no particular shame in owning and/or using a Kentucky or Trinity College.
    Yep.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Makes me think they were looking for mandolin shaped objects and effect was what they were after rather than tone. If it worked, good for them. I've always said buy the best you can afford and play the heck out of it.

Actually, Guido Lamell, the LA Phil member who organized the mando quartet, was looking for volume. Think about how many threads there are on the cafe how people want a loud instrument for small group jams. Here the mandolins play unamplified in a big concert hall, maybe with an audience of a couple thousand, not 20.
    Pic of the 4 mandolins on stage at the Boston Concert Hall before the concert, Guido Lamell holding his own Trinity College (which he played on the tour), on the far left my brown Kentucky 172.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guido mandolin la phil boston symphony hall.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	118684
    Another concert review mentioning the mandolins
    Toronto Concert Review

9. The following members say thank you to Roland Sturm for this post: