Thread: 3 finger chop chord

Default 3 finger chop chord

Is it acceptable to use 7-5-2-x or 9-7-4-x for G and A chop chords? I have been playing around with those shapes in place of the usual four finger ones and find it much easier to get to the three finger D and E positions (7-4-5-x and 9-6-7-x) due to the fact that my third finger can stay down on the 7th or 9th fret. I have heard that the bass strings are to be emphasized on a chop anyway, so why even finger the high E string at all?

Or is this something that is frowned upon in the BG world. And if so why.

Chris

Default Re: 3 finger chop chord

Yep, it should be fine to use 752X and 974X for the G and A chop chords (you're basically just omitting the E string from the standard chop chord). That E string usually isn't played, or isn't emphasized. So it should be fine if you can stretch that far with your third finger on the higher frets and still reach the lower frets (I can't do it without using my pinky).

I sometimes use 755X and 977X for these chords as well. Mainly emphasizing the G and D strings.

Taylor Swift lover/fan Cue Zephyr's Avatar

I'd say go for it. And I'm gonna use that grip but just lightly place my middle finger on the E course to mute it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I sometimes use 755X and 977X for these chords as well. Mainly emphasizing the G and D strings.
    I use that grip for F sometimes - 533x, although I prefer the sound of 10-7-8-x but often doesn't fit in with the rest of the chords.

Pardon me, but I'm just a beginner, only started lessons in January.
    I am not familiar with the notations for the chords being discussed above.
    Would someone mind explaining them a little bit more?
    Thanks so much-truly appreciate it

Slacker

The format generally used here is as such...
    GDAE, being the strings
    2245, is the fret(s) used for that chord
    So in this example, G string on 2nd fret. D string on 2nd fret. A string on 4th fret. E string on 5th fret.

Edit:
    If an "x" is used, such as 224x, that means you don't play that string. If a "0" is used, it means you play an "open" or un-fretted string.
    "If we weren't all crazy, we'd just go insane" - J. Buffett

6. The following members say thank you to Turtle for this post:

I have been using the three finger versions for years. Sometimes I get funny looks.

There is no great disadvantage to the chop. However, many Monroe-style licks use the traditional four-finger G chop shape as a starting point, so you may lose easy access to some riffs.
    Amanda

-2007 Duff F5
    -2001 Stiver F5
    -Blueridge BR-40T Tenor Guitar
    -1923 Bacon Style-C Tenor Banjo

8. The following members say thank you to Amanda Gregg for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Gregg View Post
    I have been using the three finger versions for years. Sometimes I get funny looks.

There is no great disadvantage to the chop. However, many Monroe-style licks use the traditional four-finger G chop shape as a starting point, so you may lose easy access to some riffs.
    Really good point!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
    Is it acceptable to use 7-5-2-x or 9-7-4-x for G and A chop chords? ...Or is this something that is frowned upon in the BG world. And if so why. Chris
    As is often the case with various threads of capo usage, fingerpicking, alternate tuning, etc., I see no need to apologetically ask for permission for what you can do with your own instrument on your own time in your own self-interest; if something works better for you and it accomplishes the same task--that task being to keep a group in time with a percussive rhythm accompaniment--then all the disapproving squints in the world shouldn't be enough to change it.

--Tom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Coletti View Post
    ask for permission for what you can do with your own instrument on your own time in your own self-interest; if something works better for you and it accomplishes the same task--that task being to keep a group in time with a percussive rhythm accompaniment--then all the disapproving squints in the world shouldn't be enough to change it.
    Well yes and no. Music, and especially bluegrass, is done with a group, with the arbitrary and capricious acceptance and cooperation of other people. Sometimes (not this case so much I don't think, but sometimes) some entirely senseless accommodation is required.

And sometimes the received wisdom, in the form of standardization and expectations, really has some advantages. Always good to check IMO.

But I agree with you about an apologetic tone. That is not really needed.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Slacker

If you're playing in a Bill Monroe tribute band, then it might make sense that you use the "standard" bluegrass chord formations. Otherwise, shouldn't you use the chords/fingerings that "you" use, and are comfortable with? What's the point of all mandolin players sounding the same? I'd personally rather develop my own style, based on the influences that I enjoy and appreciate. I'd like to be as proficient as some of the big names, but I don't want to "sound" just like them.
    "If we weren't all crazy, we'd just go insane" - J. Buffett

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Here' some great options that Roland White picked up from Jethro Burns. I use them a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-4FIRjgXw
    Mickey

Skip Kelley-Kentucky F-5
    Northfield F5S
    Collings MT

As long as you can still make it percussive, it serves the music just fine and any hassle others give you, you'll know to take with a grain of salt. Learn the 3 finger moveable chord shapes and your chord vocabulary will be HUGE - I really like this book for that: http://ottawafolklore.myshopify.com/...lin-chordology .

For G I often use 4557. I do that by using the index finger on the 4 (low B) barring the the 5's with my middle finger (G & D), and using my pinky for the 7 (high B). You can move this up and down the neck, and depending on the key of the song, I will use this form sometimes for A (where it's 6779). This felt weird at the beginning, but now it's second nature, and I use the form a lot.

Another form I use for G is 79107. I use my index finger to bar the 7th fret, use my ring finger on the 9 (the B on the 3rd string), and my pinky the 10 (G on the 2nd string). This is also a chord form that can go up and down the neck. It's particularly useful if you're playing the high D (77910), as you can go between G & D quickly (and then if you're in the key of D, the 6779 A is not far off either).

Between these 2 G's, I don't find myself using the 7523 form hardly at all. And as a result, people are always pointing that form out to me (in a friendly way). bb

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianbiker View Post
    Another form I use for G is 79107.
    I was scanning through the posts when that one made me stop and blink.

First impression was: "He's got a 5-course instrument, but how the hell is he doing 971, skipping an open string, and then getting back up to 7?"

I almost hurt myself...
    Dr H
    -----
    "I have nothing to say, and I am saying it, and that is poetry." -- John Cage

You know, I debated putting commas before and after the 10, but ultimately laziness won out .... ;-) bb

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
    Is it acceptable to use 7-5-2-x or 9-7-4-x for G and A chop chords?........
    Those are some odd chord shapes that require some pretty major stretches. You don't have to have all three notes of the chord in every shape, especially in bluegrass. You can use 4-5-2-x for a G, 2-4-5-x for a D, 2-2-4-5 for an A.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

As others have pointed out, the question is not what's acceptable, but what works musically for you in a given context. I like to use three-note chords, because they connect more smoothly. Also, I avoid doubling the third, e.g., I've never used the 5 4 3 2 d chord (and if the d chord is the dom chord in G I will most of the time include the seventh). And for one given chord I don't stick to the same shape all the time. I might use the 7 5 2 * g shape, or the 7 9 10 * - which has the same bottom and top notes as the standard G chop. For G7 in those positions I would use 7 3 2 * and 7 9 8 *, nice rootless shapes.